Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 03:26 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times

Advertisements

I started making my own laundry detergent after a doctor failed to diagnose a skin problem.
Trying to save a few dollars I bought a laundry detergent that was on sale that I never used in the past. After a few weeks I began to have an all-over itch that became more and more intense. (I didn't connect the laundry det. Because I had never had any reaction to any soap).
I went to my GP who thought it was scabies and prescribed a med to bath with everyday for two weeks. The med was as bad as the itch. I stopped using it after a few days. I finally realized the only thing new was the economy laundry detergent. I quit using it and my itch dissipated.
I started making my own laundry detergent and never had a problem since. Plus I save money.

BTW, in the time it takes to drive to a store I could make months worth of detergent. It is a very easy task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 04:21 PM

92 posts, read 166,508 times
https://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/SFNT.html

Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

Oh--and the argument that more people are killed in traffic accidents than are killed by using household chemicals doesn't make sense because, who cares? And who knows? The household chemicals may not kill you as quickly as a traffic accident but after years and years it could build up and then kill you. If not actually killing you, it could cause health problems--and you'll be wondering what on earth is causing these strange health problems, these allergies, these rashes, this asthma--or worse.
I started med school in 1971 when US life expectancy was ~67 yrs. I'm retiring this year, US life expectancy ~77 yrs. How bad can all those chemicals be? Remember that too much water or too much oxygen can kill you too. Too much ethanol can kill you, but those who have 1-2 drinks/day live longer than those who don't drink at all. Go figure.

A chemical is branded "a carcinogen" when a very large amount is given to some test animal (usually rats) and tumors develop. That amount of chemical is usually given in amounts 100's- 1,000 x greater than any human is ever exposed to. It is unwise to interpolate animal data to humans with too much reliance. If a certain chemical has been found to cause cancer in rats and you're worried about it, then don't feed it to your rats.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:25 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Chemicals in food are relatively benign.

However, the effect of light and light pollution on cancer rates is very well known and because people are afraid of the dark they are willing to die young.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...8IAuEQgQMIGzAA

Old 05-29-2016, 01:22 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I started med school in 1971 when US life expectancy was ~67 yrs. I'm retiring this year, US life expectancy ~77 yrs. How bad can all those chemicals be? Remember that too much water or too much oxygen can kill you too. Too much ethanol can kill you, but those who have 1-2 drinks/day live longer than those who don't drink at all. Go figure.

A chemical is branded "a carcinogen" when a very large amount is given to some test animal (usually rats) and tumors develop. That amount of chemical is usually given in amounts 100's- 1,000 x greater than any human is ever exposed to. It is unwise to interpolate animal data to humans with too much reliance. If a certain chemical has been found to cause cancer in rats and you're worried about it, then don't feed it to your rats.
You can preach at people all you want but that's not what the OP was asking about. There are plenty of chemicals that are banned in Europe and are allowed here. They are plenty of people who have skin or respiratory reactions to these chemicals. I don't happen to have any pet rats at the moment, lol.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:39 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,698,021 times
It is easier to pick some well known organic producers and change products on them. The less parts is used the safer it is. The less processed the better, the most original shape, the better. Easier than chase products with long no-no lists.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:23 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I wont use household cleaners, oven cleaner etc,, air fresheners, polishes, insect sprays paints with VOCs.. formadehyde in anything, no parabens or sulphates in shampoo... no phthalates either... and dont use nail varnish, no perfumes in anything. Most perfumes, cleaners, air fresheners have concoctions of many chemicals which makes them even more dangerous for us.. things we didnt have sixty or more years ago in our homes... no wonder there is so high an incidence now of allergies, asthma and some other serious illnesses..

Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,309 times
I've spent all day searching the internet for various products, example toothpaste that does NOT contain SLS or similar ingredients. No luck so far. Same with body wash/soap. So if I go extreme and have to make my own because no one sells healthy products, what is the shelf life for these, do i need to make it everyday? or store it in the fridge all the time? Any ideas would be helpful. I'm looking for brands that sell toothpaste, soap, shampoo, lotion, mouthwash, and the like that don't contain nasty chemicals, especially SLS.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:30 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I've spent all day searching the internet for various products, example toothpaste that does NOT contain SLS or similar ingredients. No luck so far. Same with body wash/soap. So if I go extreme and have to make my own because no one sells healthy products, what is the shelf life for these, do i need to make it everyday? or store it in the fridge all the time? Any ideas would be helpful. I'm looking for brands that sell toothpaste, soap, shampoo, lotion, mouthwash, and the like that don't contain nasty chemicals, especially SLS.
Tom's of Maine says they make two versions that are SLS free.

For those of our consumers who prefer to use a Tom’s of Maine toothpaste without SLS, we offer our Clean & Gentle and Botanically Bright toothpastes.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:31 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Isnt Toms a good alternative , although its difficult to find here in the UK.The best Ive found it a flouride free one from Holland and Barratt, and this one from Natures Gate, not tried it yet though... Fluoride free
Paraben free
Sulfate free
No sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate
No artificial flavors or sweeteners
No animal by-products or testing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living