Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 12:43 PM

885 posts, read 1,161,986 times

Advertisements

I'm very interested in the Tiny House movement. Hubbie and I are seniors- early 60's and want to downsize.

However- what's the difference in a tiny house on wheels and an RV? I know there are "regular" tiny houses that are on regular foundations, but I'm talking about the ones on a chassis.

Anyone ever live in one?

Would one on a foundation be better?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 01:15 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,166,415 times
I truly don't think these "tiny houses on wheels" are towable very far or very often ... unless you've got a monster truck to haul it (like a semi). Since they're made of regular house materials, they're going to weigh a lot more for the same square footage in an RV that's meant to be towed. They have to be limited to about 8-10 feet wide if you plan on hauling them on interstates, so the floor plans are limited. Ones with "lofts" are going to be top heavy. I wouldn't want to haul one of those things up a hill/mountain knowing I was going to have to be in front of it going down the other side ... or take one with a loft around a sharp curve.

As for being "green", what is "green" about a new built home that you can haul around? Buying a small existing home that you can properly insulate and update to fit your needs is probably 10x greener than building new, including these "tiny houses on wheels". If you are thinking of plunking that "tiny house on wheels" down on a piece of land, consider than you will also need a water source and sewage, so you aren't going to gain all that much. More importantly, those "tiny houses on wheels" are not significantly safer in a tornado or hurricane than a mobile home or RV.

Lots of couples live full time in RVs for several years when they first retire so that they can travel around the country. If that's what you're considering, go the RV route rather than the "tiny house on wheels". If you want to live permanently in one spot, then either buy an existing home or have a small house built on a foundation/slab. A house on a lot can appreciate; a house on wheels, whether it's a "tiny house on wheels" or an RV or a mobile home will depreciate.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:34 PM

885 posts, read 1,161,986 times
Thank you that's what I'm thinking- either an Rv to do some traveling then get a small house when we decide to settle down. Unfortunately most small houses, I've seen on real estate sites are dumps. I guess some ppl who live in small houses don't care what they do to it. Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:06 PM

9,310 posts, read 16,617,632 times
From what I can see on the television the tiny houses appear to be "park models" as they are called in RV parks. Although they are movable i.e. can be moved to another place nearby it doesn't appear they would be towable for a long distance move.

We have an 40' RV, Class A model, we which drive. It has four slide-outs, 2 on each side, which when we are in a campground extend to provide more living space. Additionally we have quite a bit of storage underneath, which the tiny homes don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living