U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:11 PM

28,272 posts, read 39,934,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Awesome idea and as in most cases, the more simple the better. Don't have any pictures of your design by any chance? Although the concept seems easy enough.

Small things such as this are the kind of ideas I enjoy exploring.
Wow, making me think here.

I remember we took a 4x8 sheet of plywood, laid Styrofoam insulation on it, placed the corrugated sheet metal over that, then placed 1x8's around the sides to create the box, also insulated. We then put wood pieces (precut with the "s" curves both sides) that matched the corrugation on the metal and attached with glue. These were shorter than 4'-0 by 3" and staggered so it forced the air to take a weaving path through the panel. This was all caulked, then a clear fiberglass sheet (also corrugated) was placed on top of the spacers. We left enough room above the fiberglass sheet so we could place a spacer at each end and two or three on top of the spacers under the fiberglass and screw them into the sides/ spacers to hold the fiberglass in place. Caulked again.

The fan was placed at the outflow end and the thermostat was placed where it would get the most sun during the day.

The air came in the bottom at one end flowed up and down through the heater, went through a connector at the top into the second one where it ran the the same winding course, then went out the bottom of the second unit into the house. Each end had a baffle that opened when the fan ran.

This was in the late 70's, early 80's. All the pieces required to build it were available at a local lumberyard. Whether anyone still makes these parts I have no idea. Not sure I have any pictures, not even the sketches we used to figure it out.

To be honest it was so simple it was ridiculous. I would be interested to know what a bank of four would do if they were sloped to meet the suns angle and out in the open with no trees shading them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Here's the fiberglass. Go down a bit to the light transmission table. Note the percentage for clear panels.

Fiberglass Corrugated Panels

I'll see what else I can find.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Not finding the wooden spacers, I think it would be a tough Google search.

These spacers were cut from what was probably a 2x2. The curves were offset by the distance between the center of the arcs so the wood wasn't thin where they would have met. We trimmed the metal and fiberglass sheets to adjust for this offset. The spacers look like a series of the letter S placed end to end.

I do remember that we painted the entire inside surface with high temp flat black paint.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 AM

26 posts, read 50,933 times
Interestingly enough, I am about to develop a small community dedicated to these small energy efficient homes with minimal utility consumption. Consequently, for five years I have done considerable research while wading thru the political BS of getting local approvals. There are several very important things to consider amidst the myriad of parameters.

1 Location is the benchmark from which most other considerations follow. This is both in terms of geography and site positioning.

2 Then, you can determine whether to focus on heating, cooling, or both. Every place is different and except for the shell require different considerations. Fortunately with the aid of computer modeling any specific location can be optimized.

3 The sun is free. For those of us who need heat, it is absolutely ignorant to pay for what good design will let you have for nothing. Same goes for cooling climates. Design is essential. Incorporating daylighting and Passive Solar will do wonders for your living space and cost nothing once implemented. The problem we all face is contractors rarely mention this because there is no "profit" to them. There are a plethora of excellent references out there for this information. If you are looking for something specific, I could probably help and feel free to contact me. We are all in this together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living