U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 04:08 PM

5,321 posts, read 11,008,770 times

Advertisements

The difference between front and top loaders is the way the washer works.

Top loaders - clothes are submerged in water all the time and then swished around for a long time.

Front loaders - clothes only sit in the water for a short time and then via the rotation principle are *pulled out* of the water, so *supposedly*, the dirty water then drains out of the clothes.
This process is then repeated.

We used to have a *Bosch* unit which rotated in a different direction at a specific interval.

As a matter of fact, the front loader washing principle is actually very close to how you would *hand* wash your clothes. In the water, out of the water, etc , etc .

All large commercial washers mainly operate like the front-loaders for household usage.
Some of them may be loaded from the top but they still have the same rotating principle.

About getting mold.
Only happens if you do not leave the door open during prolonged Non-Use.
You may ask, why not the same requirements for top loaders (keep door open).
Answer: Front loaders are hermetically closed when the door is closed.
Top loaders have just a lid and the washing area is thus still open to atmosphere, when closed.

Does one type wash better than the other ?
No idea ... more a personal opinion, I think !
If it does not clean your clothes satisfactorily, you may be using the wrong soap !

One last suggestion with either top load or front load machines.
When done washing, always turn off the water supply at the wall !
One day you might have a hose spring a leak and then you are up the creek ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 04:13 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,232,722 times
I hated my front loader.

It made my clothes stinky.

This was about ten years ago.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:45 PM

20,607 posts, read 13,615,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
The only good front loaders in my opinion, are commercial machines.
I have always had top loaders. Always wanted a front loader because I think they are superior machines. But after using a home front loader and having to clean up big leaks three times in one month, I said forget it! And this was a newer model.
Now my son has a front loader, his machine is outdoors in a shed where if it does leak, no problem. He works dirty jobs and his clothes are always nice and clean. This front loader I had been using did not wash things well at all.
So perhaps, probably, the brand/model has a lot to do with it.
I also know a family that runs a second hand appliance place....they have all worked on dozens and dozens of different machines and they all say that front loaders are a pain, not worth it, problematic.
do they even make front loaders that small?
From a build quality level, then yes, commercial H-axis washing machines are often streets ahead of what you get on the domestic side. OTOH the smallest such washer (around 20lb capacity) will set you back four or more thousand dollars.

As for the rest depending upon the model commercial front loaders often are designed to process loads quickly, which often leaves results less than perfect. Unlike domestic front loaders with built in heaters where you don't need chlorine bleach, commercial units often will require for certain loads because the cycles are just so short.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I need to choose a washing machine, I have a small space to put it in ( unless I go to a small shed in the back of the house) the space I want to use is about 28 inches wide. I was looking at the choices and found there is quite a controversy over something as seemingly simple as washing machines.

Front loading washing machines were quite popular when they came out. They are efficient and waste less water, use less heat and apparently get a lot of different types of clothes cleaner, but they can also leak, the latch can break and worst of all they can get mold. Apparently there was even a lawsuit over that. But manufacturers claim that they have fixed the problems and with proper care mold problems will not exist.

Top loader manufactures say new machines have become more efficient and some say work best on dirt encrusted clothes because the water clothes sit in lifts the dirt up much more than a front loader can.

The great washer debate: Are front-loaders really better?

I have also looked into the tiny washers for the small space I want to use, not only small washers but the really tiny portable ones as well, I think however that they may require smaller hoses that may not fit well.

The Big Appeal of Compact Washing Machines - Consumer Reports

I also do not seem to have any kind of vent in the house for a dryer should I create one or just line dry the clothes outside? Since I do not have a vent I guess a double decker washer dryer combo may be out.

I have been interested in ozone washing machine equipment as well. Does anyone have any experience with how well that works to get out germs and clean clothes? Here is an example of one.

Scent Crusher Wash O3 Laundry Ozone Generator : Cabela's

In such a tight space you'll get greater capacity with a front loading washer versus top loading. Even a small 24" wide model will hold about 11 pounds of washing. The larger offerings by Whirlpool and the like will hold around 18 pounds of laundry.

Hands down H-axis washing machines give better results while being more gentle on laundry than top loaders. Commercial laundries going back to the days of when they were powered by steam have used H-axis washing machines. Indeed other than at laundromats you won't find top loading washers at commercial laundries.

There are non-vented dryers (condenser) on the market, but if possible I'd go with a vent. Installing one isn't that difficult if you are handy.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:29 PM

13,490 posts, read 8,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I need to choose a washing machine, I have a small space to put it in ( unless I go to a small shed in the back of the house) the space I want to use is about 28 inches wide. I was looking at the choices and found there is quite a controversy over something as seemingly simple as washing machines.

Front loading washing machines were quite popular when they came out. They are efficient and waste less water, use less heat and apparently get a lot of different types of clothes cleaner, but they can also leak, the latch can break and worst of all they can get mold. Apparently there was even a lawsuit over that. But manufacturers claim that they have fixed the problems and with proper care mold problems will not exist.

Top loader manufactures say new machines have become more efficient and some say work best on dirt encrusted clothes because the water clothes sit in lifts the dirt up much more than a front loader can.

The great washer debate: Are front-loaders really better?

I have also looked into the tiny washers for the small space I want to use, not only small washers but the really tiny portable ones as well, I think however that they may require smaller hoses that may not fit well.

The Big Appeal of Compact Washing Machines - Consumer Reports

I also do not seem to have any kind of vent in the house for a dryer should I create one or just line dry the clothes outside? Since I do not have a vent I guess a double decker washer dryer combo may be out.

I have been interested in ozone washing machine equipment as well. Does anyone have any experience with how well that works to get out germs and clean clothes? Here is an example of one.

Scent Crusher Wash O3 Laundry Ozone Generator : Cabela's
We have an LG ventless washer/dryer and love it! They make a size to fit in small spaces. Bought ours from Lowe's.

How it works:
There is a heat pump inside the unit; heat pumps have one set of hot coils and one set of cold coils.
After washing, the machine turns on the internal heat pump. It's silent. Air is heated by the hot coils and sent through the machine.
Then the warm moist air is sent through the cold coils, which removes the moisture. In your car, this process results in water dripping under the car, but the dryer just pumps it out the drain.
Then the air is rewarmed by the hot coils and recirculated.

Over all, we don't see anything wrong with it. It is nearly silent and plays a little tune when it is done. The clothes are not scorching hot like with a vented dryer, but they are plenty dry.
You just need hot & cold water connections and a drain connection.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 PM

8,890 posts, read 5,048,939 times
i have the samsung front loader and drier. I wanted the blue one. i have no problems with it, but im tired of bending over to load and unload. I wish i had a top loader just for that reason

Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,156,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We've had a Whirlpool stacking front-loader washer and dryer for about ten years. I've been happy with them. They are quiet, they don't take up much space, the washer has never leaked, and I don't have a problem with mold (they're in the garage so I just leave the washer door open, and this is a very dry area). My husband, however, has never been convinced that they get the clothes as clean as our old top-loader and he is pushing to replace them. I think he's imagining it.

On the other side, my sister did a lot of research and got a large, highly-rated top loader, and she's not happy with it either and feels the clothes don't get clean. Wish I could remember the brand.

Our dryer does have a vent to the outside.
If the clothes don't get clean enough to satisfy everyone, try running the washing machine twice. Oh, wait. This is the green living forum. Never mind. My advice was for the red living forum.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We've had a Whirlpool stacking front-loader washer and dryer for about ten years. I've been happy with them. They are quiet, they don't take up much space, the washer has never leaked, and I don't have a problem with mold (they're in the garage so I just leave the washer door open, and this is a very dry area). My husband, however, has never been convinced that they get the clothes as clean as our old top-loader and he is pushing to replace them. I think he's imagining it.

On the other side, my sister did a lot of research and got a large, highly-rated top loader, and she's not happy with it either and feels the clothes don't get clean. Wish I could remember the brand.

Our dryer does have a vent to the outside.

You will be hard pressed to duplicate the results from top loaders of yesterday; today's modern machines have been messed with by the government for "energy efficacy" sake. As such they use less water especially hot water.

Only top loader being sold in USA today that remotely resembles those of old are the ones offered by Speed Queen. Failing this go to Craigslist or eBay and purchase a used vintage top loading washer. You can find plenty of them out there and some are in good to excellent condition. Every now and then totally unused/NIB units pop up as well.

The poor results from today's modern machines has sent many in search of vintage units. Parts for many are still plentiful and with some basic work many machines will last another decade or decades.

Of course if you really want to go green, there is always wringer washing machine.....

Old 09-14-2016, 07:41 AM

13,490 posts, read 8,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i have the samsung front loader and drier. I wanted the blue one. i have no problems with it, but im tired of bending over to load and unload. I wish i had a top loader just for that reason
We bought the pedestal for our front loading LG washer/dryer combination. I really recommend that option.
Gives a little more storage space since it has a drawer.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:49 AM

29,965 posts, read 47,182,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I have a small space for a washer also since our house was built in the mid 70's. Front loader will not fit in the space. I bought one of the new top loading washers that works like a front load but fills from the top. I love it. I paid a bit more to get the one with a see through top and am so glad I did. It has many different selections and this top has helped me choose the right settings for my wash.

I could add clothes easily to the old washer I had. That is the main difference. Once you start the washer, it needs to be left along. I have found the deep water wash is best for most of my loads but I just finished washing sheets with the special sheet setting. It selects the water level on its own. Stress free washing!

The real bonus is that the clothes get cleaner with less water and less detergent. Guess they have discovered that the real washing comes from having clothes rub together.
What brand/style?
I have two front loaders...two homes...
One is Kenmore that is likely older but works fairly well and has easier time w/heavy items like throw rugs
The other is GE which came w house when we bought it 4 yrs ago..it is terrible w/heavy loads like beach towels...and goes off-balance very easily...have had the shocks replaced once and think they are bad again...that was $$ job and don't want to pour money into this machine again...
The GE dryer runs fine so I hate to replace it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or