U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,510 posts, read 54,065,915 times
Reputation: 30723

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you for the advice, if I do not need a vent to the outside for a dryer then maybe a stackable two in one washer dryer is the best bet for me? I admit though to feeling a little confused on how using a dryer without a vent to the outside works? Can a stackable washer dryer be plugged into a regular outlet? I think it may require a higher voltage and I only see a normal plug in the space.

What is the steam effect on your washing machine, does it work well for getting rid of germs? I found a small front loader with a lot of cubic space for clothes ( 4.6) but is only 27 inches wide. It is on sale at sears outlet and got good reviews. I feel interested but with the double decker I could have a dryer too. Although I notice they are expensive despite being so small.

GE Appliances - GTW680BSJWS - 4.6 cu. ft. Top Load Washer - White | Sears Outlet

You say you have had not any problems with the front loader? Do you have to keep the door open and clean regularly to prevent mold?
We do leave the door open overnight after running it, just to be safe. The last load we run is the whites, with bleach added, but no other cleaning. The washer steam is for sanitizing, the dryer steam is for either "refreshing" clothes or removing wrinkles on clean, dry clothes.

You can get one with a 110-15 volt dryer, but it will take a lot longer to dry than a 220 volt.

Indoor Dryer Vent vs Outdoor Dryer Vent | DoItYourself.com


Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The washer that came with the house I bought is a front loader and it is my first. I was weary about it. It is an older model, but not super old. Its ok.

I hate that I cant open it mid cycle. I hate, hate, hate that. I didn't realize how often I opened my running machine until I couldn't any more.

I think it does get clothes cleaner and dryer after the spin, so they dry faster. Thats nice.

I had to wash my (used) machine many, many times with cycles with bleach and detergent to get the mold out from the former owners. I cant believe they didn't smell that. But now I just pop open the door and keep it open between washes. It dries out and the mold hasn't come back in over 15 months.
The newer ones, like ours can be opened. It uses very little water, and when I press "pause" the door unlocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2016, 10:33 AM
eok
 
6,684 posts, read 3,152,628 times
Reputation: 8459
People might also want to take into account that some washers and dryers might put more wear and tear on the clothes. Some clothes tend to shed a small amount of their fabric each time they go through the laundry. I don't know how much difference there is among brands in how much that happens, but it's worth taking into account, if you can find information about it. But I don't know where to find the information. Have any consumer testing organizations ever tested for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 AM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,318 posts, read 10,999,419 times
Reputation: 4104
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i have the samsung front loader and drier. I wanted the blue one. i have no problems with it, but im tired of bending over to load and unload. I wish i had a top loader just for that reason
One reason they sell these *stands* (bloody pricey also) to raise them up.
I used a bunch of pallets to raise ours (just modify them a bit and paint them ...)

Since you like top loaders better, do you hate your drier ? I have never seen top loading driers ... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ > Raleigh, NC
15,011 posts, read 18,869,495 times
Reputation: 23970
I didn't read through all the replies on this thread, nor am I responding to the green issue.

We had front loaders in our last house and I found that they were harder on our clothes. I don't know if it was the washer or the dryer, but we ended up with a lot of t shirts with tiny holes in them.

So, next house I said I wanted to go back to top loader washer, with front load dryer. No more holes. However, after a few years of aging and arthritis setting in, I'm finding it harder and harder to get to the bottom of the drum to take out the clothes from the washer. I figure in about a year, I'll be needing to use one of those grab sticks.

Something to consider if you're getting to 'that age.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 PM
 
20,541 posts, read 13,568,197 times
Reputation: 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I didn't read through all the replies on this thread, nor am I responding to the green issue.

We had front loaders in our last house and I found that they were harder on our clothes. I don't know if it was the washer or the dryer, but we ended up with a lot of t shirts with tiny holes in them.

So, next house I said I wanted to go back to top loader washer, with front load dryer. No more holes. However, after a few years of aging and arthritis setting in, I'm finding it harder and harder to get to the bottom of the drum to take out the clothes from the washer. I figure in about a year, I'll be needing to use one of those grab sticks.

Something to consider if you're getting to 'that age.'
Modern front loaders use far less water than previous (again you can thank Obama's EPA for this) as such they have longer cycles to compensate. It is pretty much the same as modern dishwashers, they use less water but take three hours to do what our mother's machines could in an hour or less.


Those longer cycles in modern front loaders mean your wash is being "beaten" for extended periods of time. Because there is less water you also lose some of the cushioning effect as well meaning clothing is rubbing against each other more aggressively as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 05:15 PM
 
39,191 posts, read 40,579,931 times
Reputation: 16071
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Thank you for the advice, if I do not need a vent to the outside for a dryer then maybe a stackable two in one washer dryer is the best bet for me? I admit though to feeling a little confused on how using a dryer without a vent to the outside works?
It's basically a bong. The vented air goes through water which traps the lint, it's still going to put a lot of moisture into the room and not something I would consider unless you live in a very dry climate.


Quote:
Can a stackable washer dryer be plugged into a regular outlet?
It's only the dryer that needs the higher voltage line and if it doesn't have higher voltage line the wattage is going to be much lower which means it will take much longer to dry clothes.

The longer running time does not necessarily mean it cost more to run, as a matter of fact dryers in energy efficient mode run longer. Pulling more room air and tumbling use a lot less energy than the heating element.

One side note whether it's 220 or 110 the cost to run it per BTU is the same. I haven't researched it but sucking a lot of air out of the room with low heat may make the dryer more efficient but I'd have to question the overall efficiency when that air is heated or cooled.

Quote:
What is the steam effect on your washing machine
Ours does steam, I only use it for underwear and socks. The dryer does steam too, yes I have a dryer with a water hose running to it. Doesn't get used much but if you have something wrinkled and need to get them out quick without washing it will do the trick.


Quote:
You say you have had not any problems with the front loader?
We have had the Whirlpool Duet washer/dryer for about 5 years and they have had no problems yet.

Quote:
Do you have to keep the door open and clean regularly to prevent mold?
Usually leave it open after a wash and at least once a week there is load with bleach. Never smelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM
 
39,191 posts, read 40,579,931 times
Reputation: 16071
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
One reason they sell these *stands* (bloody pricey also) to raise them up.
I used a bunch of pallets to raise ours (just modify them a bit and paint them ...)

Since you like top loaders better, do you hate your drier ? I have never seen top loading driers ... ?
I built my own, was going to go a little higher but glad I didn't because I didn't consider the detergent tray.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,855,036 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I built my own, was going to go a little higher but glad I didn't because I didn't consider the detergent tray.

You did a really good job with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2016, 07:42 AM
 
39,191 posts, read 40,579,931 times
Reputation: 16071
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
You did a really good job with it.
Thanks, this was one project I put a lot of thought into because it was very small space, about the only thing I'd change is move the sink by the door. The pedestal floats just off the wall where the door is because I didn't want it ruing the drywall with vibration.

The top I got from liquidation place for $25, it was like a 12 foot piece and I just cut off the damaged section. Actually used that too where the looks didn't matter.

If you are stuck with small space here is some more pictures for ideas:





Support between the dryer and washer for the top:





I wanted ta give as much access to the back and make sure nothing went wandering around on the top from vibration so the top is bolted to the wall instead. It also provides corner support for the sink.




On the back of the the top is this drop in panel for access to the hoses, shutoff, wiring etc.




Drawers fully extend and are huge.



Lots of space under the sink without legs.




No room on the other wall for clothes rack so so we bought some stainless cabinet handles and put them the other way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
2,063 posts, read 1,855,036 times
Reputation: 1917
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Thanks, this was one project I put a lot of thought into because it was very small space, about the only thing I'd change is move the sink by the door. The pedestal floats just off the wall where the door is because I didn't want it ruing the drywall with vibration.

The top I got from liquidation place for $25, it was like a 12 foot piece and I just cut off the damaged section. Actually used that too where the looks didn't matter.

If you are stuck with small space here is some more pictures for ideas:

Support between the dryer and washer for the top:


I wanted ta give as much access to the back and make sure nothing went wandering around on the top from vibration so the top is bolted to the wall instead. It also provides corner support for the sink.

On the back of the the top is this drop in panel for access to the hoses, shutoff, wiring etc.


Drawers fully extend and are huge.
Lots of space under the sink without legs.


No room on the other wall for clothes rack so so we bought some stainless cabinet handles and put them the other way.

I really like the idea of getting counter pieces from liquidation. I wish I knew how to build like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top