Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 08:42 AM

12,842 posts, read 9,045,657 times

Advertisements

Me? I'm an unashamed omnivore. I catch fish. I've helped butcher cows. Love a good ahi. I also eat corn, beans, and other plants. We humans are just as much a natural part of this planet as any other animal and were designed to eat just about anything. Eating other animals is a natural part of life on this planet.

Every individuals ideal diet is a unique mix and would never propose that what I eat is what others should. Where I get frustrated is when those of a certain PETAsuasion try to force everyone else to live and eat the way they want to. You're happy living on bean curd and seaweed; that's great; you do you man. I'll have my rib eye medium rare from a mesquite fire, with a baked potato, corn on the cob, and a nice Caesar salad to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 08:43 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Does your husband like fish, chicken or turkey? I have cut way down on my consumption of meat. I don't care for pork and I just hate the thought of animals being slaughtered inhumanely because of my desire to eat meat. Eventually I want to stop eating chicken and turkey also. I made a Chilean Sea Bass the other night that was the best tasting fish I ever ate.
killing a living animal for meat bothers you but killing a living fish doesn't ?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:44 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,441,091 times
Hard to beat a nice juicy bacon cheese burger!

Old 10-15-2016, 09:01 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I enjoyed your post and your English is very good!

I understand the health issues with eating meat. I live with a meat-lover. He understands the negative effects of animal fat to his health. We've done vegan for 3-week stretches twice and he recognized the benefits - weight loss, fat melting off his body. I worked hard to prepare really good, flavorful, protein-filled meals. Still he consistently buys meat. He will preach "portion control" yet bring home two steaks "for us" that are over a pound each! I decided I will focus on my own diet. He's grown. It's his will power, not mine. I have my own struggles.

Everything in moderation, nothing to excess. Good lesson for us all.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:19 AM

11,112 posts, read 9,753,246 times
My DH started going to a great doctor who pointed out to him that although he is VERY slender, and has a very low percentage of body fat, his cholesterol was way too high. We already ate beef only about 2 or 3 times a week because we both like lean pork, chicken and fish. She put him on statins and told him he had better reduce his intake of saturated fats. I had been telling him this, but somehow when a doctor says it he thinks it carries more weight. So, since I am the cook, we now eat beef less than once a week at home. We have chicken, turkey, lean pork, salmon, or other fish almost every night and I make meatless meals, or meals with just a minimum of meat for flavor (like pinto beans with a bit of finely chopped ham). I also cut the meat portion size to 4-5 oz and that's all the meat that I cook. There's usually no leftover meat to take seconds on. I cook much larger quantities of veggies and starches for him. I eat minimal starches, but that's no reason he can't have them. He needs the carbs to keep weight on. I replace ground beef in recipes with ground turkey labeled "lean", and then reduce the meat in the recipe by half and add some extra veggies. It rarely makes a difference in the taste, except now you can actually taste the vegetables and not just the meat.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:26 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,873,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Does your husband like fish, chicken or turkey? I have cut way down on my consumption of meat. I don't care for pork and I just hate the thought of animals being slaughtered inhumanely because of my desire to eat meat. Eventually I want to stop eating chicken and turkey also. I made a Chilean Sea Bass the other night that was the best tasting fish I ever ate.
Pescatarianism isn't as environmentally friendly as it seems. Chilean sea bass is actually vulnerable (not endangered, but at risk of becoming so). It falls in different categories on the Seafood Watch list, depending on where it's caught. There are even movements to restore its original name, Patagonian toothfish, to reduce the marketing appeal, with the goal of reducing demand and allowing stocks to recover faster.

As for advice to the OP, how about mushroom burgers, with portabella caps standing in for beef patties? They taste meat-like enough, if you cook them right and add the usual meat seasonings. Slather on some black bean dip to make it more filling, add a touch of hot sauce for flavor, and you're golden. You can also make a hypocrite's version, and put a bacon slice on top. (After all, a bacon slice is less meat than a burger patty, and hey, bacon goes with everything, right?) Just one word of warning: no soy burgers! Soy contains estrogen, which is never good for boys and men to consume in large amounts.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-15-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 10:12 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
He probably didn't repair that closet door because with diminished proteins he's losing muscle mass and neurological function, hormonally inbalanced and lost his upbeat mood.

Not to mention probably retaining water and thirsty with all those "salty cakes".

He needs to learn to cook.

It's funny to me, though, that anybody thinks they could manipulate me into converting to Indian food. Since I'm not Indian. Maybe he is, IDK.

I'm sorry I know you were trying to be humorous, but I'm getting "He's dumb; I'm smart" from this.

And I'm speaking as a former 5 year macrobiotic vegan. Unmarried female.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
My DH started going to a great doctor who pointed out to him that although he is VERY slender, and has a very low percentage of body fat, his cholesterol was way too high. We already ate beef only about 2 or 3 times a week because we both like lean pork, chicken and fish. She put him on statins and told him he had better reduce his intake of saturated fats. I had been telling him this, but somehow when a doctor says it he thinks it carries more weight. So, since I am the cook, we now eat beef less than once a week at home. We have chicken, turkey, lean pork, salmon, or other fish almost every night and I make meatless meals, or meals with just a minimum of meat for flavor (like pinto beans with a bit of finely chopped ham). I also cut the meat portion size to 4-5 oz and that's all the meat that I cook. There's usually no leftover meat to take seconds on. I cook much larger quantities of veggies and starches for him. I eat minimal starches, but that's no reason he can't have them. He needs the carbs to keep weight on. I replace ground beef in recipes with ground turkey labeled "lean", and then reduce the meat in the recipe by half and add some extra veggies. It rarely makes a difference in the taste, except now you can actually taste the vegetables and not just the meat.
So is he off the statins now?

Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
bah, he's either loading up on meat for lunch at work or he's taking the meatless aggression out somewhere else.

it might have worked for you but I cook better than my wife and if I want steak, I'm buying and cooking it myself.

When I cook dinner I make separate vegetarian food for the wife and girls and meat dishes for me and my son. I have seen the reduction in muscle mass in my wife. she's vegetarian for almost 10 years now. used to be she was strong as a horse and now can barely lift the heavier stuff.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:46 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Cooking only potatoes and cabbage for dinner wouldn't cut it for me either. We eat meat in some form every day, only it's more of a side dish and not the main course. Try making some stir fries like beef and broccoli or chicken. You wind up with a small portion of meat and more veggies. I just made stuffed green peppers with a lot of veggies and a small portion of ground beef. I make spaghetti sauce with zucchini. yellow squash, green peppers, eggplant, and whatever other veggies you want to add. I put ground beef in it, but again, the meat portion is more of the side dish.

We eat a lot of chicken and fish as well. Today I'm making stuffed eggplant. There will be ground beef in it but mostly veggies and garden tomatoes. Meat doesn't have to be the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living