Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 12:04 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,606,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There will not "always" be coal, gas, and oil. They are finite resources.

And in my state 1/3 of energy comes from nuclear. It is a great renewable resource, and if nuclear research hadn't been demonized in the 80s we would already be on fusion which solves the problem of waste.

Wood is not efficient enough to use to generate electricity.
Actually, there WILL always be oil. It's one of the easiest fuels to produce right now. You HAVE heard of using used vegetable oil as fuel, right? And biodiesel? Huge future in these options, and it's not even all that complex to implement on exisitng combustion engines, which makes it easier for people to use. Big plus.

Granted ethanol turned into a debacle, but that's what happens when dumb politicians look for a quick-fix in order to get votes and contributions for the next election.

Wood may not be good for generating electricity, but it can be a direct source for heat and energy without going through an electrical conversion step. Wich, as described, a lot of people use without even having to cut trees down, simply using deadfall.

Point is, things look a lot different out in the real world then it does at the top of an ivory tower lab in the city. They need to communicate more, but right now neither values the other's viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 12:30 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,401,599 times
Quote:
You are claiming that government vehicles do not have to meet federal emissions laws without a source and nothing more than your own interpretation. Sorry it doesn't pass the sniff test.

And you have yet again, ignored all the part of posts that prove your wrong. If you are going to ignore and cherry pick, there is no point in pretending you are interested in a rational discussion.
Sniff around... all I said is the disclaimer I received attending government surplus vehicle sales and my personal efforts as part of my community in East Oakland California regarding the building of a new Post Office where we learned no local approval required for the project to proceed...

I'm a product of my experience...

Understand many are having a hard time post election. Trump is not my candidate... Bernie is my guy and I truly believe he was done dirty.

I was asked a question and I explained, from my prospective, reasons I believe Trump is President Elect.

Do people really believe the President Elect is for dirty water?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-14-2016 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
There will not "always" be coal, gas, and oil. They are finite resources.

And in my state 1/3 of energy comes from nuclear. It is a great renewable resource, and if nuclear research hadn't been demonized in the 80s we would already be on fusion which solves the problem of waste.

Stop and think of what you just wrote...

There will never be a time when the LAST Drop of Oil or LAST chunk of coal is gone...

What typically happens is price increases with scarcity so that other products become more viable... it is very much the plan President Obama put forth... he candidly said for alternative energy to viable the price of oil and coal must increase.

Finite means an end, gone, finni

Old 11-14-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
It's ok not to know everything...

Currently in California there are about 30 direct-combustion biomass facility in operation with a capacity of 640 MW

Source: Biomass Energy in California

How did I know? Easy, I have had wood slash hauled to the local biomass electric generation plant.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:54 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,613,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There will always be a variety of energy sources...

Wood, Coal, Gas, Oil, Solar, Wind, Geothermal, Nuclear, etc...

Remember when Nuclear was the Holy Grail and would set us free?

President Carter touted wood as American's great renewable energy resource...

Just saying...
I've got a 100 count bag of tea candles in my emergency supplies kit and I think there might even be a pine-scented aromatherapy candle floating around here somewhere..

So if candles are still being used today that means oil will still be used tomorrow.

Totally proves your point!

Something to celebrate: Pine-scented octane is coming our way!

Just in time because I think the Scentsy fad had almost extinguished itself...

Old 11-14-2016, 01:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,730,013 times
Quote:
Stop and think of what you just wrote...

There will never be a time when the LAST Drop of Oil or LAST chunk of coal is gone...

What typically happens is price increases with scarcity so that other products become more viable... it is very much the plan President Obama put forth... he candidly said for alternative energy to viable the price of oil and coal must increase.

Finite means an end, gone, finni
You are conflating the extent of a resource with the usage of the resource. Coal, etc. are indeed finite resources. But that does not mean they will be used up to the last drop. From an economic standpoint, the cost of a resource for which demand far outstrips supply will be so great that it may as well cease to exist. If it truly were an infinite resource, we would never reach that point. But it isn't, so we will.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:43 PM

I'm an engineer and when statement "There will not always be coal, gas and oil" is left unchecked some will believe this.

As for oil... we were suppose to have already exhausted the world's supply by now...

We have not run out of whale oil which was once the staple for lamps... it just isn't used anymore to be significant and is a violation under the Endangered Species Act.

http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/re...aa04-r150.html

Old 11-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I'm an engineer and when statement "There will not always be coal, gas and oil" is left unchecked some will believe this.

As for oil... we were suppose to have already exhausted the world's supply by now...

We have not run out of whale oil which was once the staple for lamps... it just isn't used anymore to be significant and is a violation under the Endangered Species Act.

[url=http://www.publicaffairs.noaa.gov/releases2004/jun04/noaa04-r150.html]$2,000 Penalty Assessed for Illegal Attempted Sale of Sperm Whale Oil over Internet[/url]
I hope you caught the irony of having "We have not run out of whale oil" and "Endangered Species Act" in the same sentence. It's probably because of the latter that you can claim the former.

Also isn't it true that the widespread development of fracking in the last 10 years has broadened the usable sources of fossil fuels and if we hadn't embraced the method our reserves would be far more limited, especially domestically-sourced fuel production?

Just what will they think of next?!?

Old 11-14-2016, 02:17 PM

Whale Oil is still very much available... even in North America if your Inuit...

Domestic Oil Production and Efficiency have greatly curtailed the volume of imported oil...

Some are saying the US could be a net exporter... what would those saying it was all over back in the 1970's say to that?

The only constant is change.

I believe in the concept of a small footprint and was very lucky to have spent time on my Grandparents small dairy farm as a child... they never owned a car... only a small tractor and lived a great life buying only staples like cloth, sugar, coffee.

One year the peach blight got my Grandmother's peaches and I brought a case of Del Monte Cling peaches with me... my Grandparents didn't own a can opener... as nothing was ever bought in a can...

They also didn't have trash... table scraps went to animals or compost, paper and wood went to the wood fired boiler that provided heat and hot water...

Her Wedgewood stove was half wood and half electric... she baked all her bread and was an excellent cook... they never owned a TV but would sit around the radio at night or read... they loved to read.

Their small 30 acre farm had been in the family for generations and was the epitome of sustainable living incorporating all the green principals as a matter of daily living...

Life was very much centered around the seasons... Grandfather made all the furniture in the winter and kept the home warm... Spring was planting, Summer was tending to the crops and Fall harvest time...

It really didn't matter much what party was in office... life on the farm continued...

They never had money but did have a very rich life...

Only one trip in their entire life of any distance and that was to California to visit us... Grandfather kept a meticulous journal and they enjoyed every minute of their 2 weeks with us... first time seeing the ocean or a city like San Francisco...

That said, they were all too happy to return to their farm... they never came back saying they had seen what they wanted to and knew we were all OK...

Almost a Pete Seeger type of existence by living a good simple life with respect for the planet and others and seeing Seeger making maple syrup reminds me of them...

Old 11-14-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Some are saying the US could be a net exporter... what would those saying it was all over back in the 1970's say to that?
Many of them would be asking (as I did not all that long ago): What's fracking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living