Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 12:57 PM

1,859 posts, read 1,640,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
Now that the Republicans have taken power and have control of Congress, the presidency, and soon probably also the Supreme Court how do we protect our environment? I assume they will now attack clean air and water regulations and allow companies to pollute all they want to . What can we who care about the environment do to continue to protect it when those who make the rules do not?
"Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!... Forty years of darkness!...Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave!... Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 01:48 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,770,815 times
You know, quite simply put as an independent this is the beauty of America. Balance. The progressive agenda will relentlessly push forward, just not as quickly as you would like with the recent elections. So yes the climate is changing. Steven Hawking said we have like 1,000 years left anyway, so really we have quite a few Democrats who will be in power from 2016 onwards. So, don't worry.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:36 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,637,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
You know, quite simply put as an independent this is the beauty of America. Balance. The progressive agenda will relentlessly push forward, just not as quickly as you would like with the recent elections. So yes the climate is changing. Steven Hawking said we have like 1,000 years left anyway, so really we have quite a few Democrats who will be in power from 2016 onwards. So, don't worry.
I read that yesterday. The only thing I'm going to say is that a green life style isn't just better for the environment, but it's really great for my wallet. Many struggle trying to manage the rising cost of living where I live and the lifestyle makes it pretty easy.

So I will try to worry less...

Old 11-18-2016, 04:58 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,638,996 times
To answer the OP's question about how we protect the environment.

They do and we do not.

Old 11-18-2016, 07:39 PM

824 posts, read 1,174,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
As for the person who thinks the EPA should be dismantled, pollution knows no boundaries. One of the reasons the EPA exists is because if one state decides to pollute there section of a river that flows into another state those people have no recourse. Federal protection of resources we all rely on make sense.
because this is the same EPA that is pushing agenda 21 down our throats and other evil stuff and guess who created the EPA.

Neocon rino Richard Nixon.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:51 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,587,997 times
If you want to see how Republicans view Environmental issues look no further than the Republican Governor of Michigan and how he has responded to Flint !

Link :http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/as...-large-169.jpg

Link : https://www.democracynow.org/images/...Flintwater.jpg

This is our future under them

Old 11-19-2016, 06:07 PM

18,453 posts, read 9,096,109 times
The increase in atmospheric CO2 from burning fossil fuels is warming the climate. There's little doubt about that from actual climatologists.

Unfortunately, we don't (yet) have an economical replacement for fossil fuels. That's the other "inconvenient truth." There's nuclear, but nobody likes it and there's only so much uranium on earth.

Fusion power or dirt-cheap batteries (to store Gigawatts of power from solar and wind) will be needed to meaningfully reduce fossil fuel use.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:25 PM

4,975 posts, read 5,242,585 times
Climate change is a natural process. As far as pollution or making positive changes for the environment, it wouldn't matter who is president. The Clintons don't care any more than Trump does. You want change, lead by example or invent something better. Buy US manufactured goods because we often have stricter environmental standards than the other countries who we import goods from.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,182,766 times
There is no replacement for oil. If there were, you wouldn't need government subsidy. A tank of gas weighs 100 lbs, can be "recharged" in two minutes and drives you 400 miles. How much the batteries in Tesla weigh, how long does it take to recharge and what is the range?

Old 11-20-2016, 01:00 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,745,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post

When I lived in the community next door (Seattle) 94% of the fuel source was renewable (mostly hydro), now we're at 40% renewable (hydro and wind mostly).
Renewable energy is sort of a feel-good claim that is a bit specious. It sounds good but when you dig down it too has its problems. Take hydro power. All dams are destructive. They gobble up pristine wilderness areas and have decimated anadromous fisheries. Yes, compared to fossil fuel power plants I suppose it is better but I am not sure how worthy it is to brag about hydro power. Bio-fuels are also problematic. As far as I know, solar is about the least impactful power producer but power companies are doing their best to put the kibosh on solar power. Basically we have exceeded the ability for the earth to support the size of the human population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living