U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:18 PM

176 posts, read 252,381 times

Advertisements

Here is even more to read. I mean I get now that you won't but perhaps some will.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662288/
PNAS | Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No vegetarian diets are absolutely not healthier than meat-based diets. An example: The Inuit Paradox | DiscoverMagazine.com

Adding meat to our diets basically gave us our modern brains. Food For Thought: Meat-Based Diet Made Us Smarter : NPR
Are you an Inuit or a lesser evolved human living in the wild fighting for survival? Probably not.

Plant-based diet (vegan/vegetarian) vs. meat-eating diet (predan) from a medical perspective | dr. Tamasi József - Belgyógyászat, természetes gyógymódok, életmód

Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM

16,937 posts, read 22,225,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitlindwarf View Post

That mildly racist comment is really uncalled for. Obviously the point of what I posted was to show that the statement that vegetarian diets are always healthier is simply false. A mostly meat diet can be very healthy.

Vitamin B12 deficiency will lead to a brain literally shrinking over time. The only reliable sources of B12 in a diet is through consumption of various animal products including meat.

12 Questions Answered Regarding Vitamin B12 - Nutrition

The person who wrote that link of yours is a quack. For one thing, he's arguing humans did not evolve to be omnivores. Flat out false and settled science. Take a look at his list of non-meat sources of B12. It's flat out misinformation. Take pickled cucumbers, for example. They contain no B12 yet he's claiming they contain a significant, useful amount. I won't even address his "living nourishment-dead nourishment" line, it's pure hogwash.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That mildly racist comment is really uncalled for. Obviously the point of what I posted was to show that the statement that vegetarian diets are always healthier is simply false. A mostly meat diet can be very healthy.

Vitamin B12 deficiency will lead to a brain literally shrinking over time. The only reliable sources of B12 in a diet is through consumption of various animal products including meat.

12 Questions Answered Regarding Vitamin B12 - Nutrition

The person who wrote that link of yours is a quack. For one thing, he's arguing humans did not evolve to be omnivores. Flat out false and settled science. Take a look at his list of non-meat sources of B12. It's flat out misinformation. Take pickled cucumbers, for example. They contain no B12 yet he's claiming they contain a significant, useful amount. I won't even address his "living nourishment-dead nourishment" line, it's pure hogwash.
Oh here we go with the played out B12 argument. B12 comes from microorganisms, not meat. Anyone can become deficient and you stating that you have to eat animal products to get it is ridiculous. I'd bet money you are more deficient than I am since I use B12 fortified nutritional yeast all the time and take a supplement occasionally.

Mildly racist?! You're really grasping if you think that question is racist in any way. But good job trying to deflect from your poor argument.

Where does he argue humans aren't omnivores? We're not CARNIVORES but yes we are omnivores, as are all apes and they all eat mostly plants with the occasional meat.

If you think that one link is not reputable how about you try responding to ANY of the other information I posted including the NIH, UN, etc.

Your arguments are pure hogwash, plainly evidenced by your refusal to accept any factual information that doesn't support your beliefs.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:37 PM

The OP's question does not relate to health benefits of veganism but to the environmental impact, so I am not going to continue responding as not to highjack this thread anymore. I've posted tons of information regarding both issues and those who aren't so blinded by their inability to accept or even entertain ideas that go against what they're used to will hopefully come to the right conclusion.

Start another thread and I'll be happy to play along, but this has gone too far off topic.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:17 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,051,814 times
Quote:
The OP's question does not relate to health benefits of veganism but to the environmental impact, so I am not going to continue responding as not to highjack this thread anymore. I've posted tons of information regarding both issues and those who aren't so blinded by their inability to accept or even entertain ideas that go against what they're used to will hopefully come to the right conclusion.

Start another thread and I'll be happy to play along, but this has gone too far off topic.
Do you know much about late medieval history of Europe? It was golden time of the forced veganism, medieval peasant masses subsisted largerly on the mashed grain "porridge", yet the continent was thorougly deforested, soils exhausted, only discovery of America saved Europeans from mass die off. I dont even touch the subject of human wellbeing. Stand alone veganism is not enough. The problem with healthy veganism, it requires global supply network and above average incomes to diversify beans and grains centered menus, and as somebody mentioned already - there cannot be even an approximation of sustainable agriculture without farm animals somewhere in the loop.

Old 12-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Old 12-24-2016, 11:12 PM

3,577 posts, read 5,297,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
The last time I checked, Beef production isn't centered in the rainforest. In fact, humid, tropical environments are horrible places for beef production. Beef production in the U.S. is centered in great arid plains of the West. ANY type of agriculture in these areas is limited, due to the shortage of water. Cattle use far less water than traditional agriculture. I invite you to come to Montana during the summer, to watch the fields of wheat, with their endless irrigation. The massive sprinklers run nonstop, with most of the water lost to evaporation. The natural land is cleared to plant the wheat, as any natural vegetation limits the yield. Now compare that to the millions of untouched rangeland where the cattle are raised. You won't see any irrigation at all. You won't see human overdevelopment either. What you will see are manmade ponds full of migrating birds, deer, antelope, moose, and elk roaming freely with the cattle. Foxes and Lynx hunting rabbits and mice in the scrubland.
They do produce beef in Belize. As a matter of fact I was told the ranchers there will shoot the once sacred (to the Mayans) jaguars on sight to preserve their flock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or