U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:03 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,012,712 times

Advertisements

Plastic island: How our trash is destroying paradise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 05:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 2,511,462 times
Good article although it is somewhat depressing. Well, more than just somewhat. It is like herding cats to get people to understand the effect we all have on the world.

The ratio of trash we produce in our household to the amount of recyclables is about 1:3 or 1:4. The bulk of the recyclables is plastic, a lot of which is just packaging. Everything you buy has to come in a plastic package of some sort. It is crazy as it doesn't add anything to the product. It is just, well, packaging.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM

17,652 posts, read 53,729,740 times
Any video that starts out "Every time you throw away a piece of plastic it is felt here in paradise" lets me know that some idiot has no concept of causal relationships, or is about to voyage on an emotion piece design less to inform me and more to try to play with my feelings in hopes of making me suspend critical thinking and weep to their choreographed tune. That type of willful disregard of facts irritates the p*ss out of me, and were I king, I would demand that all such "reporting" be forced to have a warning label, much like is on cigarette packaging.

Skimming the article, there appears to be some decent factual information within it, but because the video starts out so blatantly biased, there is no way I'm going to spend even a second of time to read it and then sort out fact from fiction. Not all trash is plastic.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM

3,886 posts, read 2,511,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Any video that starts out "Every time you throw away a piece of plastic it is felt here in paradise" lets me know that some idiot has no concept of causal relationships,
What do causal relationships have to do with how something is presented? Perhaps there is a stylistic criticism that is due here but that has nothing to do with the logic of the piece.

Quote:
That type of willful disregard of facts irritates the p*ss out of me, and were I king, I would demand that all such "reporting" be forced to have a warning label, much like is on cigarette packaging.
Which exact fact are you saying is incorrect?

Quote:
Not all trash is plastic.
The article never said it was. It was focused on one particular part of trash, one that is particularly problematic because it does not biodegrade. This is not the first article on this issue by any means. It is a huge problem. Yes, it has an emotional appeal to it but hey, if it worked for Donald Trump to get the masses energized, it should work for the green side too.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Any video that starts out "Every time you throw away a piece of plastic it is felt here in paradise" lets me know that some idiot has no concept of causal relationships, or is about to voyage on an emotion piece design less to inform me and more to try to play with my feelings in hopes of making me suspend critical thinking and weep to their choreographed tune. That type of willful disregard of facts irritates the p*ss out of me, and were I king, I would demand that all such "reporting" be forced to have a warning label, much like is on cigarette packaging.

Skimming the article, there appears to be some decent factual information within it, but because the video starts out so blatantly biased, there is no way I'm going to spend even a second of time to read it and then sort out fact from fiction. Not all trash is plastic.
"Willful disregard of facts"

but....

"appears to be some decent factual information within"...

That my friends is cognitive dissonance.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:10 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,262,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
It is like herding cats to get people to understand the effect we all have on the world.
Those people are too selfish and lazy to care so they dismiss facts as being some kind of hoax, they drive their gas guzzling SUVs 35 miles each way to get to work and back to their McMansion on the wooded lot and don't recycle because some guy in a tin foil hat on the radio says there is no such thing as global warming.

By the time the world takes these problems seriously it will be too late if it isn't already.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:14 AM

823 posts, read 571,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Those people are too selfish and lazy to care so they dismiss facts as being some kind of hoax, they drive their gas guzzling SUVs 35 miles each way to get to work and back to their McMansion on the wooded lot and don't recycle because some guy in a tin foil hat on the radio says there is no such thing as global warming.

By the time the world takes these problems seriously it will be too late if it isn't already.

I love this, yes, lets just assume that everyone, everywhere, has access to recycling. Here in MT, they don't accept plastic at all, the same with glass. In fact, the only thing they do accept is steel cans only, no scraps or aerosol cans, aluminum cans, cardboard, and newspaper/magazines. That is it. We recycle what they accept.

There are ways to get rid of plastic, no one wants to do it because it costs too much money. So trying to guilt trip people into feeling bad about it doesn't achieve anything. Harping on people because they drive an SUV is ridiculous. Taking SUV's off of the road would have only a negligible effect on the environment at all.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
I love this, yes, lets just assume that everyone, everywhere, has access to recycling. Here in MT, they don't accept plastic at all, the same with glass. In fact, the only thing they do accept is steel cans only, no scraps or aerosol cans, aluminum cans, cardboard, and newspaper/magazines. That is it. We recycle what they accept.

There are ways to get rid of plastic, no one wants to do it because it costs too much money. So trying to guilt trip people into feeling bad about it doesn't achieve anything. Harping on people because they drive an SUV is ridiculous. Taking SUV's off of the road would have only a negligible effect on the environment at all.
Sounds like as a citizen of MT you have work to do to pressure your communities to do more. Power of the people!

Seriously, the only way that will change is from constant annoying challenge from community shareholders.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:19 PM

19,538 posts, read 18,615,669 times
In the UK they tax SUVs really high to discourage the use of them. It seems to work because practically no one wants an SUV anymore and the resale value is almost nil.

I agree about it being hard to recycle things at times. Our town doesn't even have pick up. You have to go to a recycling place that's only open 3 hours a week. Mostly we have paper because of all the junk mail but we do accumulate plastic jars (because so many times you can't buy things in glass anymore.) One way to reduce plastic is to buy food items in glass containers (like spaghetti sauce, mayo, mustard, relish, olive oil, vinegar) but it's becoming harder to get things in glass.

Acidic foods like vinegar or spaghetti sauce shouldn't even be stored in plastic because the plastic leaches into the food. Another reason for not using plastic. If I have to buy a container of olive oil in plastic, I'll buy a huge bottle and pour it into a glass bottle that I saved. That's more for health reasons: I don't want to be eating plastic with my food.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:49 AM

9,715 posts, read 5,401,863 times
Hmmmmmm..........

I have to wonder what influences my "drive" to be coarser more: economics, environment, sheer frustration, or just my basic taste. Ie, for example, I don't use filters in the basket for my perk'd coffee. I don't think the paper filters are plastic (but who can tell these days?), just shortly after switching to a stove top coffee pot, the hassle of the paper filters was just enough to make me give them up.

Or for that matter, what about the hassle of the plastic Mr. Coffee? When I was doing them, it seemed year to year, they had to be replaced for something or another. A carafe would be boiled dry, they would stop working, bugs would move in. Further, even if we consider proper maintenance such as running the vinegar through it to clean it, where does that leave us humans with plastic leaching? We aren't drinking that vinegar cleanse, of course, but have we brought something to the surface for our next pot? Anyhow, I got tired of replacing counter top appliances (and the room I lost to them) so when I learned about perk coffee during a camping trip, the steel pot moved right on in.

BUT, sigh, I suppose if not one thing, than another. Take Timex Ironman watches. I try to keep two, if not three, in active inventory and then I'll go through one every 2 years if not every year. I don't know how many blank faces of defunct watches I have around the home. Could I donate those to someone to have them replace the battery, redo the strap (had a Velcro one drop off my wrist in the pool because the chlorine had eaten through the stitching)? Maybe but who would want it one after the seal is broken when a new one is just $40-50?

Spend a little bit money, take a bit more time and buy 2 or 3 metal dive watches for the planet (to say nothing about all the plastic a new watch comes in)? Seems like a nice motivation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living