Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2017, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,844 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if i need a couple of old newspaper and cardboard for a project if i could just go in to a recycling center to get some for free or is their a charge. I wouldn't need a really big stack of newspapers just a couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 05:31 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Whenever I need old newspaper and cardboard, I just go to the grocery store or Sam's Club, depending on the size of cardboard needed. They have all sizes and shapes of cardboard. Grocery stores have free local newspapers at the exit - I just grab as many as I need.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicaf160 View Post
I was just wondering if i need a couple of old newspaper and cardboard for a project if i could just go in to a recycling center to get some for free or is their a charge. I wouldn't need a really big stack of newspapers just a couple.
Probably not.

If there's a freecycle list in your area - just ask.

Or ask your friends and neighbors.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:53 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
If you were close to me, I would give you more than you need, both newspapers and cardboard boxes.
The recycling center pays nothing for either, so it isn't worth hauling it to the center.
There used to be two recycle bins near here that accepted aluminum cans and newspaper (no, not cardboard), but whoever sponsored them took them away.
Now, the stack of old newspapers is getting pretty tall...

Old 01-28-2017, 08:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If you were close to me, I would give you more than you need, both newspapers and cardboard boxes.
The recycling center pays nothing for either, so it isn't worth hauling it to the center.
There used to be two recycle bins near here that accepted aluminum cans and newspaper (no, not cardboard), but whoever sponsored them took them away.
Now, the stack of old newspapers is getting pretty tall...
Consider contacting an animal shelter to donate newspapers.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM

776 posts, read 580,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicaf160 View Post
I worked at a recycling center for a year and wouldn't suggest it. People put things they're not suppose to in the cardboard and paper bins. The end result is the paper and cardboard has food on it or is water soaked. As long as you don't take their cash crop, Aluminum, they really don't care that much. I would just go to a warehouse, safe warehouse, and ask them. If they constantly ship things, there is a good chance they have a good amount of scrap cardboard. As for newspaper, libraries or businesses usually get it daily for their customers. Just ask if you can take it for a project an hour before they close. They don't want to charge you in either case because that is just less they have to run to the garbage.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,844 times
Thank you guys so much for all the help i have a good idea of were i need to get things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living