Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,934,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I beg to differ. The methane came first. Simple molecules like CH4, NH3, H2O, CO2 were the building blocks for complex hydrocarbons.
Larry's exactly right. See the "five atoms" section on this page for methane:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...llar_molecules

And note too that molecules with as many as ten atoms are listed. These formed in deep space, with no biology involved.

It's been long known that if you take a mix of very simple molecules and add energy, you can end up with more complex molecules (like amino acids):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller–Urey_experiment

That is likely the reason why you have organic gunk on Titan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:43 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,762,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You should publish a paper immediately. DeBeers spends millions of dollars every year mining diamond pipes, which are the remnants of eruptions deeper than any that occur today. Since there is no carbon down there, there are no diamonds. They can go out of business and switch to baking crusts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_pipe
Those diamonds are coming from the lithosphere (or crust), not the mantel, and certainly not the core.

Here is an interesting article on where the earth's carbon might have come from:

https://phys.org/news/2016-09-earth-...y-smashup.html

Old 03-31-2017, 10:48 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,251,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
I have come to the conclusion that the OP is just trolling. He's not interested in answers that don't fit the convoluted "point" he is trying to make.
If I were trolling, I would have disappeared long ago. Here is one question everybody is ducking. Is fresh oil being produced as we speak and what's the evidence pro and con? Now, I understand why some people are uncomfortable with the question because it exposes the agenda they are trying to advance.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:53 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,327,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, they didn't. Anymore than Exxon really thought they were putting a tiger in your tank.
You have to squeeze really hard, but tigers produce some of the world's finest oil -Science

Old 03-31-2017, 11:34 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,728,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If I were trolling, I would have disappeared long ago. Here is one question everybody is ducking. Is fresh oil being produced as we speak and what's the evidence pro and con? Now, I understand why some people are uncomfortable with the question because it exposes the agenda they are trying to advance.
Some scientists in the field think this is happening. Some scientists think it's balderdash. Most scientists think it's unproven.

To get the more sophisticated argument you seek, I wonder why you don't go post your questions here - Exploration & Production Geology

Let us know what you find.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:35 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,728,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You have to squeeze really hard, but tigers produce some of the world's finest oil -Science
I have a six-pound lap cat. NO WAY would I try this.

She can be quite squeeze-resistant when she wants to be!

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-31-2017 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM

5,214 posts, read 3,006,198 times
Quote:

Going by the way we believe that oil is produced, I do not see why more wouldn't be produced as we speak. However, that does not mean that enough would be produced quickly enough to replace what we are using on a daily basis.

I do wonder, if you do not believe that oil is produced in the accepted manner, then how do you think it came to be?

Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,934,683 times
Quote:
If I were trolling, I would have disappeared long ago. Here is one question everybody is ducking. Is fresh oil being produced as we speak and what's the evidence pro and con?
We don't know. And if it is, we have no idea at what rate, or what fraction of the oil in the ground is from biotic vs abiotic sources.

Quote:
Now, I understand why some people are uncomfortable with the question because it exposes the agenda they are trying to advance.
What on earth are you talking about??

Old 03-31-2017, 01:28 PM

586 posts, read 553,822 times
Well I just wasted ten minutes instead of studying.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:30 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,630,448 times
Quote:
I am not being snarky. I really want to know the basis for this conventional wisdom. Why is it considered "settled?" Are we supposed to shut up about this too? If the theory didn't exist and somebody came up with it, would it be believable? Just how many tons of meat do you need to make billions and billions of barrels of oil with no end in sight?

i remember that too, when i was a little kid they did those cartoons where the dinos turned into oil.

i admit , you had me for just a second.. well done.
love the idea of taking those cartoons as being literal explanations . I will try to keep a straight face and bring this up with a couple of mates. I can't wait to see the looks of horror when for just a moment they think that i think Oil comes from dino meat.

I pretended to believe in ghosts one time, i did it tentatively as to make them think i was feeling uncomfortable bringing it up. these self deprecating jokes are often the funniest.

10 out of 10 my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living