U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:31 PM

3,331 posts, read 1,493,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
1 kw is plenty for solar particularly in Moab. Urban folks are just addicted to wasting resources!! Turning off a light when not using it is NOT a hardship!! Doing you laundry when the sun is shining is NOT a hardship...particularly in Moab. It is fine.

But back on topic....for 10,000 I would connect to the grid right now. It solves all your problems, unless your electrical system is not grid compatible.

It will be a while before city folks start walking green instead of just talking about it. I am not sure you can wait that long.

Thanks, 509, now that IS helpful! It has been no hardship at all for us, living "consciously" as far as power use. Our home is small and this covers our needs adequately.

We will think about connecting to the grid, but since nothing is selling in our area, not sure that's the problem. No grid houses are selling either.

"Throwing good money after bad...."

There was a lightning-strike fire on our street the other day, and I found myself wishing the whole place would burn down so we could collect insurance, then forget about maintaining it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 PM

6,509 posts, read 6,429,279 times
Quote:
1 kw is plenty for solar particularly in Moab. Urban folks are just addicted to wasting resources!! Turning off a light when not using it is NOT a hardship!! Doing you laundry when the sun is shining is NOT a hardship...particularly in Moab. It is fine.
This attitude is why the property will not sell easily. 1 kW at 120 volts = 8 amps. That won't run a vacuum cleaner.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM

8,045 posts, read 5,848,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We are one hundred percent off the grid on five acres in a very scenic part of SE Utah. <>Kind of at wit's end...thanks for any advice. Realtor has none....
Sounds lovely. Are you listed on Realtor.com or something?
There are two big lotteries this week, maybe I'll be in touch.
So what would your price be without the solar, and how much would it cost to hook up to Utah Power and Light, or whatever it is?
Post your multilist #, I'd love to look.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM

16,722 posts, read 14,611,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Thanks! This is helpful.

My husband is a NABCEP certified solar installer and if our panels weren't "hooked up", we'd have no power....
Didn't you say that it would cost $10k to hook it up? I'm confused.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's almost impossible to get a loan if if doesn't appraise for at least the selling price. But if you have a cash buyer and no lender involved it doesn't matter.

Perhaps there are some good employers in Moab I don't know about. There are a few doctors/lawyers/ and people who work for the government but other that that isn't most of it seasonal minimum wage type jobs? I would love to live in a place like that but it's hard to imagine making a living there.

I know a man who lives there and you may know him. He has 6 Weimaraners and they go hiking with him every day. After all, it's a small town!

Don't know the Weimaraner buy, sounds interesting! The hiking is so fabulous there.

I still think some wealthy tech person would be your logical buyer. San Francisco and Seattle would be your target cities. Here's another idea too. Country Homes, Farms, Ranches for Sale, Recreational Property & Land - United Country Rural Real Estate I look here every now and then just for the fantasy!

Thanks for this link. They seem to have no listings of equine properties in UT!

I agree with your assessment of Moab employment, but my point was how does this differ from any tourist town? 4,000 people do live there, and make a living. Lots of small businesses, or work-from-home type stuff. My husband was self-employed, did well enough and I worked at a resort, making about $30 an hour. Not too bad. With half the year off....

Many are retired, or second homes.

I see what you mean about the appraisal, thanks.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
That is simply not true.

Our off-grid house is 25 minutes from our in-town house. It is 20 minutes from Leavenworth, Washington which is packed every weekend (Home | Leavenworth Washington)

We have 1 Gbps internet in town, but no internet at our vacation rental. That is a real negative. But the real negative is that we are off-grid. Most people have NEVER stayed at an off-grid facility. They just feel that it must be "rustic". Lack of knowledge, but it is really hard to educate folks about off-grid living.

It has nothing to do with distance to civilization.

The scenery at our off-grid house isn't shabby (https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1222959

Read the comments section.

Your site is spectacular! I read all your comments and 5 stars all the way---no negative comments about no internet or cell phone. Nor problems with being off-grid.

We too, are 25 minutes from town, so not too far to get some action. It takes that long sitting in traffic in SoCal, to get to the mall, LOL.

But yes, most people have no grasp of off-grid living. Our house-sitter is whining non-stop though we were clear about it. Free rent with 2 dogs on gorgeous-view acreage----snowflake time.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:31 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,047,335 times
There are negative comments about lack of internet. However, we definitely do NOT know how many people take a pass when they find out we are off-grid.

BTW.....we are three miles from the powerline and the estimate was FOUR million dollars for us to hook up to the grid. AND that was with the county owned electrical system!! They also supply fiber-optic lines to county residents that are hooked up to the grid. In the end, we said forget the electricity we can make that easily, but we want to fiber. It was till FOUR million dollars for fiber alone.

So 10,000 for a electrical hookup is dirt cheap. Don't wait too long.

For years since the county owns the electrical system there was NO CHARGE for hooking up to the grid. With the mass migration and development that resulted from urban refugees pouring over the Cascades from Seattle the hook-up charges came into being. Unfortunately, the county cannot discriminate between residents and part-time residents.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM

2,905 posts, read 4,047,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
This attitude is why the property will not sell easily. 1 kW at 120 volts = 8 amps. That won't run a vacuum cleaner.
It runs the vacuum cleaner, well pump, etc.

You need to stay off-grid and have somebody show you how a off-grid house works.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:19 PM

412 posts, read 259,875 times
I'm not clear on what the home being solar has to do with anything to the extent that there is power available 27/7. If that's an issue, then Tesla offers a solution (Tesla Powerwall) to store solar power in wall mounted batteries to ensure that power is always available.

https://www.tesla.com/powerwall

Old 08-08-2017, 04:07 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,221,122 times
I agree that you need to market it to second home buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or