Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times

Advertisements

we could BURN our plastics for fuel (as many countries do)

There is VERY little recycling in most countries, and some 'smaller' countries encourage MORE TRASH, as it = MORE POWER and the ash is used to make their miniature islands into LARGER Economic Powerhouses (i.e. Singapore... yesterday was named 'Most powerful Passport' in the world) USA is FAR behind (for many reasons, and very evidently behind in medical, healthcare, finance, and education).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Amen. My town is littered with those damned bottles now.
Same here plus aluminum cans and drive-thru fast food garbage.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Same here plus aluminum cans and drive-thru fast food garbage.
You need more HOMELESS!

Portland Oregon has plenty... (As well as a bottle bill - huge 'bounty' for aluminum and glass containers)

But... stomp on an aluminum can in Portland, OR and you will get SHOT!! (A SMASHED can is no longer eligible for bounty)
Please handle with care
(Homeless people AND aluminum cans)

Old 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM

70 posts, read 110,916 times
The complex interaction between marine debris and toxic chemicals in the ocean. Environ Sci Technol 46(22):12302–12315 (2012); doi: 10.1021/es3027105 ... document harvested from article bibliography: New Link in the Food Chain? Marine Plastic Pollution and Seafood Safety

Just sayin'....

Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
OK OK Let's all agree plastic in the ocean is bad for us. The question now becomes "how bad?"

Answer: so little problem that nobody can be found who has gotten sick, died or had a deformed baby because of it.

Remember that 40,000 Americans die every year from traffic accidents. How many die from exposure to plastic?
Plastic and it’s components are proven to alter a biological environment on a scale that is unstudied and unknown to us to a full extent.
Not to get too political, but when first discovered its impact in the 70th - there were studies undertaken in UK if I am not mistaken on increasing of prevalence of homosexuality in plastic contaminated areas ( endocrine disrupters)
Never heard about it anymore- politically dangerous slope, I guess.
They now study how endocrine disruptors affect the sex make up and its changes in frogs

Old 11-19-2017, 02:45 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
They now study how endocrine disruptors affect the sex make up and its changes in frogs
It's very difficult to design & perform studies of the effects of chemicals in the real world. Lab studies usually use unrealistic doses. And it is always unwise to extrapolate results from one species to the next (Eg- furosemide (Lasix) causes enhanced coagulation in horses and impairs coagulation in humans.) These studies have value in pointing out possible effects & mechanisms, but they should only be used to help design the next experiment, not to take corrective action and needlessly risk unintended consequences.

My recommendation: don't give water from plastic bottles lined with BPA to your pet frogs if you don't want homosexual frogs (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
For those of you on Facebook, check out the site there, "Break free from plastic". There is now more plastic in the world's oceans than fish. And its rapidly getting even worse, exponentially.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:26 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
In the past number of years it seems that our daily lives have been increasingly dependent on plastics.
Just a few small misc. examples : soda crackers the boxes they come in are light weight cardboard still but the crackers are wrapped in plastic, it used to be a waxed paper. ****-n-span used to be powder in a cardboard box, is now liquid in a plastic bottle?
Yes...and why are detergent bottles, and car fluid bottles, made so very thick.... more than is necessary. And cheese slices are now individually wrapped.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,314,963 times
Stopped by to say: I hate plastic.
I was working with FEMA in VI-STT. We were housed and fed on a cruise ship (there were a LOT of people) and I noticed the bars on the boat stocked soda can 6-packs with those plastic rings on them. I can't believe those are still used.

There are still some places in the US that have no recycling at all. Craziness.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:11 AM

346 posts, read 358,361 times
The area of NH I live almost all plastic is being collected, then sent to a facility to produce diesel fuel. I wonder if this is happening in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living