Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 11:26 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,913,388 times

Advertisements

I had to replace my roof after some storm damage last March. Yes, I wanted that Tesla roof but all the hype about it being affordable was pretty much not true. Maybe Mr. Musk was comparing the price with the hand cut slate from France he had on his roof. Anyway couldn't afford almost 100K for an average house roof.

I bought white shingles hoping they would save me some money. It looks kind of funky on my Spanish style house in a neighborhood with pretty uniform dark brown roofs. I had already beefed up the insulation and replaced the windows and doors. The white shingles have turned out to be the best thing I have done to lower my energy bill.

I just got my bill and for the first August ever, it is under $300. It was $232 to be exact. I saved over $100 just by changing to white shingles. I no longer care if it looks funky! Since I live in Las Vegas, I don't have to worry about snow and cold. Lots of Winters I never even turn on the heat. The concern is always the cost of AC in the heat. So no downside to the white shingles for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 05:15 PM

671 posts, read 1,112,236 times
Thay is an excellent result. I had my attic insulation upgraded at the same time I did my roof. Remarkable difference in the comfort level and in the electric bills.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

I just got my bill and for the first August ever, it is under $300. It was $232 to be exact. I saved over $100 just by changing to white shingles. I no longer care if it looks funky! Since I live in Las Vegas, I don't have to worry about snow and cold. Lots of Winters I never even turn on the heat. The concern is always the cost of AC in the heat. So no downside to the white shingles for me.
I'm glad that is an improvement for you. That sounds like a great improvement for just the shingle color. I put in extra insulation and a high efficiency HCAC system 10 years ago in my 2,349 SF house. My highest elec bill in Texas is now $124 in August, was only $32 in Feb (Gas Heat).

Old 09-10-2017, 06:15 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,873,855 times
For awhile we were getting tax credits for putting in white roofs. Hawaii has extremely high electric rates so most folks can't afford A/C. A blazing white roof and really wide roof overhangs (to shade the sides of the house) do a lot to keep down solar heat getting into the house.

If you're building a house, high ceilings help by giving hot air a place to go. On some of the older houses raised on post and pier foundations, there will be a vent towards the middle of the house opening to the cooler under house area. Then there's vents up near the ceiling to let the heated air out. A well designed house can be significantly cooler.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
For awhile we were getting tax credits for putting in white roofs. Hawaii has extremely high electric rates so most folks can't afford A/C. A blazing white roof and really wide roof overhangs (to shade the sides of the house) do a lot to keep down solar heat getting into the house.

If you're building a house, high ceilings help by giving hot air a place to go. On some of the older houses raised on post and pier foundations, there will be a vent towards the middle of the house opening to the cooler under house area. Then there's vents up near the ceiling to let the heated air out. A well designed house can be significantly cooler.
Right now there is still a federal tax credit of $500 if you use energy star products. I did. And you are right there would be a lot more savings if our homes were designed better. If I can ever afford solar panels I will put them on the south side of the house where the panels will shade the exterior wall.

My subdivision in Las Vegas still has maybe 80% dark brown roofs. The worst for energy consumption. You'd think white roofs would be a no brainer!

Old 09-10-2017, 08:07 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,963,204 times
The Romans kept buildings cool by trickling water over the roofs and down the walls. Of course their aqueducts provided plenty of water.

My last house in Chicago was significantly cooler in the summer after I allowed trumpet vines to cover the south & west walls. The east was already shaded by trees.

Now I'm in WI and building an earth-berm house, anticipating significant effects on keeping warmer in winter and cooler in summer.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:42 PM

1,765 posts, read 1,176,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My subdivision in Las Vegas still has maybe 80% dark brown roofs. The worst for energy consumption. You'd think white roofs would be a no brainer!
I wish I could have one! But the HOA forbids it.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 AM

6,035 posts, read 4,392,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Now I'm in WI and building an earth-berm house, anticipating significant effects on keeping warmer in winter and cooler in summer.
I'd really like to hear how that works out.

Old 09-16-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I wish I could have one! But the HOA forbids it.
One of the reasons I made sure there was no HOA before I bought my house.

Maybe you can run for the HOA board and change the rules. Perhaps many of the residents would like to be more energy efficient?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM

7,124 posts, read 4,963,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'd really like to hear how that works out.
Up-date: I got the roof on and walls framed up, sheathed & insulated a couple weeks ago (no insulation in ceiling yet); doors & windows in place. Weather has been overcast and temps 15- 45deg over past two weeks. Inside temps stable ~ 42degF all day & nite. I think that's pretty good considering there's 135 ft of wall exposed to the outside air, (as opposed to 115 ft of wall exposed to earth- berm) and 50 ft of that is glass with only northern exposure.

Just finished the install on the wood burning boiler (gasification with computer regulated air flow/burn rate) late yesterday and fired up. It has to get ~260 gal of water & concrete in which its embedded up to temp, having started @ 42deg. It's up to 50deg this AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living