U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM

6,220 posts, read 5,334,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You HAVE electric in a converted van, assuming you're on a campsite with electric. There are also solar panels and generators if you're boondocking. Pump sinks are available, and showers in the campground. But it depends how much luxury you require.
I was looking at rates for the nearest campsite for me. They charge $45 per day for a spot with electrical and plumbing hookup. That's over double for what you can get a 1br apartment for here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 08:13 AM

6,510 posts, read 6,433,801 times
RV and van living is not "green". This a green forum. There are lots of RV threads elsewhere.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM

30,646 posts, read 49,319,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryG1rl View Post
Van living?
Are we discussing down by the river parked under a bridge?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2VIEY9-A8&t=143s

Quote:
... But where would be the best location to do this? I would imagine living by a state park or a 24 gym would be a must, no? Are there places in the United States that are better suited for this type of lifestyle?
'off-grid' can mean many things.

I own a farm where we are on Solar-Power. So we are 'off-grid' in the context that we do not rely on the power grid to power our home. We have an organic farm where we produce 90% of our own food, and we sell farm produce at a Farmer's Market.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 AM

7,781 posts, read 4,351,096 times
I'm sorry that "van living" has gotten such a bad rap in public perception, whereas "tiny house living" (same square footage), which is really terribly impractical, is considered oh-so-cool. Whatever!

Old 10-12-2017, 04:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 8,120,435 times
How about winter? Winter in a van? What will keep you warm on chilly nights between November-March? Even the southern states get chilly.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 PM

15,490 posts, read 17,657,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I was looking at rates for the nearest campsite for me. They charge $45 per day for a spot with electrical and plumbing hookup. That's over double for what you can get a 1br apartment for here.
Most van dwellers spend most of their nights in free areas such as permissible commercial parking lots (Walmart being a popular one for obvious reasons), free campgrounds (state and federal) or neighborhoods.

Planet Fitness memberships are popular among van dwellers because they are everywhere and you can use their showering facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
How about winter? Winter in a van? What will keep you warm on chilly nights between November-March? Even the southern states get chilly.
You can drive south. If you can't handle a van heated to 65-70F during deep south nights dipping way down into the 40s or 50s, van dwelling may not be for you.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM

18,057 posts, read 8,137,288 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info! Do you have any recommendations of where would be best to give this a test run of sorts? Let's say I wanted to take a vacation for 2-4 weeks to test out van living. Where would you recommend to go that would have bathroom facilities during my stay?
State and national parks commonly have public restrooms, and many have showers. You could pick out 2 or 3 in your state, and travel between them. You will have to take the season into account though - in places with real winters, they are already being closed down until spring.

Or, if you can do it this winter, you could visit Quartzsite and/or the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous. (Google either event for info.) (Not sure about public restroom facilities though - would be porta-potties at best, I imagine.) You would meet literally thousands of people who full-time and love to talk about it. Many of these will be hardcore, fully off-grid folks. Others, like me, are just into taking long trips as inexpensively as possible.

Planning an itinerary can be a lot of fun. Here's one place to start - https://www.allstays.com - tons of details about both private and public campgrounds.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:07 PM

18,057 posts, read 8,137,288 times
Quote:
I'm at the point where I'd rather give up basic sanitary comforts than live with anyone else ever again. That's why the lifestyle appeals to me. I'm free to be by myself and live on my own terms. And I know someone brought up the fact that it's not realistic to have this lifestyle when you are much older. Probably not, but I don't foresee having a long life. lol I'll be lucky if I see 40 at this point.
Many retired folks are doing this. Just depends on how healthy you are. Many make the case that they've never been healthier. Because they spend most of their days outdoors and eat less crappy food.

I used to not think past 40 either! It was so unreal to me, I literally couldn't imagine it, and I have a vivid imagination. No one is more surprised than I am that I've turned 70. It's mind over matter - if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:35 AM

10,124 posts, read 12,174,396 times
Quote:

So then I got to thinking that maybe living out of a van may not be the life for me, but rather living "off grid" could be the ticket. That would still entail having to pay tax on your land, but having a little home fueled by solar/wind power and an occasional generator doesn't sound that awful, no? Maybe I'm just crazy and it would be horrible living. Who knows. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd probably never contemplate such a meager lifestyle again, but who knows....

So does anyone do this-- van living or living off grid?
Tax on land could cost you less than insurance on your van in some cases. I recently looked at a 20 acre piece of land, on a navigable waterway that was priced at 450K.......tax bill was about $500 a year due to agricultural status.

I would think the van living would get more expensive than you think. The simple lack of cooking facilities means eating fast food or eating meal to meal (not being able to store anything refrigerated). In most towns I suspect the cops/code enforcement people are well aware of van dwellers and do their best to kept them moving on to the next town.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:48 AM

10,124 posts, read 12,174,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I was going to mention a houseboat because there are no property taxes.
But the dock slip exceeds rent/taxes on real property. While insurance isn't mandatory on boats, marinas require it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living