U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 AM

19 posts, read 15,489 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone here does this? I read an article last week about it and it got me to thinking... especially with so many people who are homeless now due to the natural disasters that have been going on... I was wondering how realistic this lifestyle could be. I live an extremely spartan lifestyle and enjoy minimalism. I don't foresee being able to live out of my car, but if I ever acquired a reliable van of sorts or maybe even an RV, I'm not sure I'd be all that opposed to the simplistic lifestyle it affords. The only thing that would bother me would be not having an accessible shower/toilet at my disposal. But where would be the best location to do this? I would imagine living by a state park or a 24 gym would be a must, no? Are there places in the United States that are better suited for this type of lifestyle?

So then I got to thinking that maybe living out of a van may not be the life for me, but rather living "off grid" could be the ticket. That would still entail having to pay tax on your land, but having a little home fueled by solar/wind power and an occasional generator doesn't sound that awful, no? Maybe I'm just crazy and it would be horrible living. Who knows. If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd probably never contemplate such a meager lifestyle again, but who knows....

So does anyone do this-- van living or living off grid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 06:07 AM

2,772 posts, read 1,041,234 times
There are plenty of people who live meagerly and off grid-- like maybe half the world's population? Many of them "trailerstead" which offer them a place to cook, practice some basic sanitation & hygiene like we civilized folk are accustomed to and maintain a few essential possessions.

The main problems I see with your concept of living in a van are legal problems with squatting on public or private property, sanitation, preparing food and safety. What would you do with yourself all day long? You'd have to keep moving. Who would let you squat for a long period, and it takes money to buy fuel to keep moving-- source of income?

OTOH- if you were to buy or rent a piece of land, you could garden, set up shop etc to provide some livelihood. You could also get into a trailer or build small hut. A "permanent" location may offer you the opportunity to hold a job.

Located in a more southern area, you could avoid heating needs & costs. Located in a more remote area, zoning may let you get by without a septic system.

Consider whether you would prefer to contend with earthquakes, droughts, hurricanes or tornadoes. Warmer locations tend to have one or more of those problems.

You still need a source for water no matter how or where you live. And source of food- growing your own requires a plot of land. Buying you food requires money. Or are you willing to rely on dumpster diving?

And then consider timing: it's one thing to be willing and able to rough it at age 25, but maybe at age 75 it'll be too much to take. Of, course, choosing this lifestyle doesn't have to be a life sentence without parole. Life is an adventure. Good for you and good luck if you decide to try it.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:16 AM

6,088 posts, read 2,809,893 times
So primarily it comes down to,financial availability.
As someone ,who if I won the lottery,self sustaining , minimalist lifestyle would be my go to.
Taking into account,weather,and the landscape..
Being single helps or having another versed in certain mechanical and survival skills is a plus! What inspires you to consider this style of living?

Old 10-11-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
What inspires you to consider this style of living?
Honestly, I'm just tired of failed relationships and being around crazy people. Just want to bide my time and die on my own terms, as nutty as that sounds.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:58 AM

18,057 posts, read 8,141,377 times
OP, here's a site for you to visit - Cheap RV Living.com-Home

Lots of stories here, including people who live out of their cars. Most claim to be happy doing it. Many of these folks do have solar panels, so they can stay wherever they want, not just in designated campgrounds. Although it can be done pretty cheaply, it's better if you have some income.

It has its attractions. Personally, I live in small places by preference, and once lived in a 27-foot airstream. The big problems are lack of insulation, lack of storage space, and lack of hobby space. These are all solved in various ways.

I like gardening too much to ever live full-time in a van. But that's just me.

Be aware that this life style is not encouraged, and you will have to exercise some ingenuity to do it cheaply. There's not many problems if you buy an "official" self-contained RV, and stay in paid campgrounds. Many, if not most, jurisdictions in the US, will not allow you to buy a piece of land and then just park a travel trailer there to live in full time. Otherwise, you'd see a lot more people in your neighborhood doing it.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 AM

7,373 posts, read 12,906,554 times
I wouldn't mind trying off the grid. But some people, I think, carry it a little far. We like watching some of the "little house nation" shows on DIY network. But what got me was the couple who wanted an old school bus made into an off the grid little house on wheels. That sounds kind of nice and looked great, but they paid $150,000 to get it done! If I ever have a place to live made for $150,000 it sure aint gonna have wheels under it!

Old 10-11-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OP, here's a site for you to visit - Cheap RV Living.com-Home

Lots of stories here, including people who live out of their cars. Most claim to be happy doing it. Many of these folks do have solar panels, so they can stay wherever they want, not just in designated campgrounds. Although it can be done pretty cheaply, it's better if you have some income.

It has its attractions. Personally, I live in small places by preference, and once lived in a 27-foot airstream. The big problems are lack of insulation, lack of storage space, and lack of hobby space. These are all solved in various ways.

I like gardening too much to ever live full-time in a van. But that's just me.

Be aware that this life style is not encouraged, and you will have to exercise some ingenuity to do it cheaply. There's not many problems if you buy an "official" self-contained RV, and stay in paid campgrounds. Many, if not most, jurisdictions in the US, will not allow you to buy a piece of land and then just park a travel trailer there to live in full time. Otherwise, you'd see a lot more people in your neighborhood doing it.
Thank you for the info! Do you have any recommendations of where would be best to give this a test run of sorts? Let's say I wanted to take a vacation for 2-4 weeks to test out van living. Where would you recommend to go that would have bathroom facilities during my stay?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 AM

lol! Yeah, if I had that kind of money, I wouldn't be living in a toilet on wheels either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I wouldn't mind trying off the grid. But some people, I think, carry it a little far. We like watching some of the "little house nation" shows on DIY network. But what got me was the couple who wanted an old school bus made into an off the grid little house on wheels. That sounds kind of nice and looked great, but they paid $150,000 to get it done! If I ever have a place to live made for $150,000 it sure aint gonna have wheels under it!

Old 10-11-2017, 10:32 AM

28,402 posts, read 61,862,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryG1rl View Post
So then I got to thinking that maybe living out of a van may not be the life for me...
Rent a room in someones home.

Indoor plumbing and central heat are some of the first things the Romans invented.
Enjoy them.

LINK to some reading

Old 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM

7,781 posts, read 4,352,939 times
I plan to live in a converted van while traveling, and NOT because I can't afford anything else. It's just RVing on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living