Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:23 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
"Have mercy! I deliver the message, not make the marriage!"

She's the one who related what details she wanted to us and I wasn't there to record it. On that night, she was pretty freaked so forgive me if all the details aren't there to relate.
Ah, SORRY, I thought you had been there too! Mea culpa!

(As you can tell I am pretty freaked out at the mere IDEA of mice ... the first time my kitties killed one and I found the corpse the next morning, it took me something like an HOUR to pick the thing up with my 3' gripper because every time I approached it -- even though I had covered it -- I felt like vomiting! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 06:43 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Ah, SORRY, I thought you had been there too! Mea culpa!

(As you can tell I am pretty freaked out at the mere IDEA of mice ... the first time my kitties killed one and I found the corpse the next morning, it took me something like an HOUR to pick the thing up with my 3' gripper because every time I approached it -- even though I had covered it -- I felt like vomiting! )
Karen, you wouldn't have liked our first cat (a lovely orange male) at all. I still remember coming home from work one day to find JUST a mouse head placed neatly on the center of the doormat. He must have been so proud of his accomplishment! I felt bad about insulting his prowess by chucking it in the bushes, but...oh well.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:28 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our collection is once a week, along with the garbage and yard waste, so we always have a good supply of recyclables available in the bin. For a mouse that's easily grabbed, I would just use a glove and my hand, or if it's not lively grab it by the tail and toss it in the yard for the local coyotes or owls to eat.

Around here, the possums and raccoons make any dead animal or bird disappear, within half an hour of sundown. And a note of caution to those who shoot squirrels or rats with lead pellets, when the scavengers clean them up, the lead may kill them. And then, an even larger animal will need disposal.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:57 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Around here, the possums and raccoons make any dead animal or bird disappear, within half an hour of sundown. And a note of caution to those who shoot squirrels or rats with lead pellets, when the scavengers clean them up, the lead may kill them. And then, an even larger animal will need disposal.
Habitat destruction is more than just chopping down the rainforest. Small things count too.

And I agree-- avoid using lead pellets. Use large caliber ammo.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
They must be afraid of the back porch but most odd because I've had raccoon foot prints up to the back door. Maybe it is the Christmas lights.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:25 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
You can “mouse-proof” your house til you’re blue in the face.
They want in, they’re getting in.
Best you can hope for is reducing the chances that they will want to come in.

Since I moved out to the sticks I have to self haul.
It’s definitely a learning curve as I was so spoiled by just putting everything out to the curb, kinda took it for granted I guess, but it’s a trade off for a much better way of life overall.
I have all kinds of critters roaming around so I keep my garbage in the garage, in covered cans. For now. I hope to build a varmint proof area outside away from the house at some point.

I do get a little slack here and there and the garbage, especially recyclables, can get out of hand from time to time. I’m only a few miles from the transfer station but, I’m a few miles from the transfer station. So I procrastinate sometimes.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Recycled bottles are not reused, they are shredded and the material is made into something else. Whatever ick may have been inside them is irrelevant.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You can “mouse-proof” your house til you’re blue in the face.
They want in, they’re getting in.
Best you can hope for is reducing the chances that they will want to come in.

Since I moved out to the sticks I have to self haul.
It’s definitely a learning curve as I was so spoiled by just putting everything out to the curb, kinda took it for granted I guess, but it’s a trade off for a much better way of life overall.
I have all kinds of critters roaming around so I keep my garbage in the garage, in covered cans. For now. I hope to build a varmint proof area outside away from the house at some point.

I do get a little slack here and there and the garbage, especially recyclables, can get out of hand from time to time. I’m only a few miles from the transfer station but, I’m a few miles from the transfer station. So I procrastinate sometimes.
The exterminator said that my house was pretty well sealed except for maybe the dryer vent which he will look into how it might be sealed and a penetration for the AC. He came out yesterday and set some traps, so we shall see, but he didn't see any indications, like mouse prints on the HVAC system, of a presence. So Mr. Mouse might have just gotten in when the garage door was open.

I do keep my trash dumpster in the garage except on collection day. It's tight when both cars are in, with the can and emergency generator, freezer, other things in there, but it fits. I suppose that it just part of my nature to have everything inside when I can. It certainly makes it easier to change the kitty litters when one has their jeans off.

As I commented in a post 2 years ago or so (I can't find it but I started it), the most trash I put out comes from the kitchen.....except for the kitty litters. The kitchen trash is mostly coffee grounds, egg shells, tea bags, and rinds. Eventually, I will find a way to handle some of that in another way, but since most is recycled or down the disposal, very little goes into the big bin. I could probably go a month before that was critical but by then, it would be very heavy to move.

My nature of cooking means that most of the stuff comes in recyclable wrapping. Milk (powdered) in cardboard, rice in flimsy plastic, etc..

The kitty litter and food bags are used as my kitchen garbage bags.

One week of mostly kitty litters (3 bins a day) and I can wrangle it into the Forester to get it out to the road. Two weeks and I might be able to wrangle it but it wouldn't be easy. Three weeks and I'm dragging it up the drive way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Recycled bottles are not reused, they are shredded and the material is made into something else. Whatever ick may have been inside them is irrelevant.
Thank you. It is an informed counter to my statement of its value after such an incident.

I still have a question to how much effort I want to put into decontaminating it to have it around before it is eventually taken to recycling, but I suppose that is a question I will have to answer myself.

I was glad the exterminator dispatcher told me that I didn't need to keep Mr. Mouse's body around. Having a jar of scorpions in rubbing alcohol is one thing; having a mouse in rigor as a forever reminder is quite another.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:44 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The exterminator said that my house was pretty well sealed except for maybe the dryer vent which he will look into how it might be sealed and a penetration for the AC. He came out yesterday and set some traps, so we shall see, but he didn't see any indications, like mouse prints on the HVAC system, of a presence. So Mr. Mouse might have just gotten in when the garage door was open.

I do keep my trash dumpster in the garage except on collection day. It's tight when both cars are in, with the can and emergency generator, freezer, other things in there, but it fits. I suppose that it just part of my nature to have everything inside when I can. It certainly makes it easier to change the kitty litters when one has their jeans off.

As I commented in a post 2 years ago or so (I can't find it but I started it), the most trash I put out comes from the kitchen.....except for the kitty litters. The kitchen trash is mostly coffee grounds, egg shells, tea bags, and rinds. Eventually, I will find a way to handle some of that in another way, but since most is recycled or down the disposal, very little goes into the big bin. I could probably go a month before that was critical but by then, it would be very heavy to move.

My nature of cooking means that most of the stuff comes in recyclable wrapping. Milk (powdered) in cardboard, rice in flimsy plastic, etc..

The kitty litter and food bags are used as my kitchen garbage bags.

One week of mostly kitty litters (3 bins a day) and I can wrangle it into the Forester to get it out to the road. Two weeks and I might be able to wrangle it but it wouldn't be easy. Three weeks and I'm dragging it up the drive way.

Thank you. It is an informed counter to my statement of its value after such an incident.

I still have a question to how much effort I want to put into decontaminating it to have it around before it is eventually taken to recycling, but I suppose that is a question I will have to answer myself.

I was glad the exterminator dispatcher told me that I didn't need to keep Mr. Mouse's body around. Having a jar of scorpions in rubbing alcohol is one thing; having a mouse in rigor as a forever reminder is quite another.
I know you lived in apartments before you moved into this house, but did you honestly ask the exterminator if you needed to keep the mouse's body around? For what purpose? If you live in the country, you throw it in the shrubs or out on the lawn. It will be disposed of in short order. BTW, how are you planning to deal with whatever your traps catch, or will you wait until the exterminator comes back? If it's not very cold, those little carcasses can get pretty stinky. It's easier to just empty the traps, or dump traps and contents entirely if you don't want to handle the bodies. Easy peasy!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I know you lived in apartments before you moved into this house, but did you honestly ask the exterminator if you needed to keep the mouse's body around? For what purpose? If you live in the country, you throw it in the shrubs or out on the lawn. It will be disposed of in short order. BTW, how are you planning to deal with whatever your traps catch, or will you wait until the exterminator comes back? If it's not very cold, those little carcasses can get pretty stinky. It's easier to just empty the traps, or dump traps and contents entirely if you don't want to handle the bodies. Easy peasy!
Yes, I did ask. Long story short on that one, I am learning to ask as oppose to keep things in my head and ponder on such.

Right now, I am typing in my den, two floor to ceiling book shelves made by the furniture maker, flanking me. Asking the house builder about that as oppose to still using bolt together steel shelving was one of my better questions.

So, I ask.

The traps are theirs and they will be back soon to check on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living