U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-25-2018, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,141 posts, read 2,953,575 times
Reputation: 9313

Advertisements

The panels make nice carports in parking lots. I have seen them in school parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 PM
 
Location: california
431 posts, read 1,009,474 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The financial return to grid connected solar with net metering is substantially higher than off grid connection.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. I asked an installer today if grid tie solar was feasible for my property, and his response was no, that unless I'm paying at least $75 a month, installing solar with net metering would cost more. Based on my calculations, the cost for 25 years of grid tie would cost me more than $40,000, with no equity to show for it.

An off grid system would be less than 1/4 of that, i.e. $10,000 or less, with ownership of the equity, and maintenance cost would be minimal. Comparatively, my current rate adds up to $4,500 for 25 years, with no equity in equipment. I'd rather not bother, but I wanted to, the off grid choice would be more beneficial, and less expensive than grid tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 06:53 AM
 
Location: DC
6,509 posts, read 6,427,712 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not true. I asked an installer today if grid tie solar was feasible for my property, and his response was no, that unless I'm paying at least $75 a month, installing solar with net metering would cost more. Based on my calculations, the cost for 25 years of grid tie would cost me more than $40,000, with no equity to show for it.

An off grid system would be less than 1/4 of that, i.e. $10,000 or less, with ownership of the equity, and maintenance cost would be minimal. Comparatively, my current rate adds up to $4,500 for 25 years, with no equity in equipment. I'd rather not bother, but I wanted to, the off grid choice would be more beneficial, and less expensive than grid tie.
I can't comment on your specifics, but I'm from the industry, have both an electrical engineering and MBA (finance) degrees, and have help 4 individuals evaluate and install rooftop grid connected pv. There's no way a pv system with battery backup costs less than a system that is grid connected. The batteries are just too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,632 posts, read 49,281,484 times
Reputation: 19014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I can't comment on your specifics, but I'm from the industry, have both an electrical engineering and MBA (finance) degrees, and have help 4 individuals evaluate and install rooftop grid connected pv. There's no way a pv system with battery backup costs less than a system that is grid connected. The batteries are just too expensive.
That is the exact opposite of reality in my area.

The latest ad I got for Photovoltaic panels quoted 58cents/watt. The inverter, charge-controller and batteries together will typically cost about the same as the PV panels.

While installers normally quote $3.50/watt for installed net-metering systems [plus financing].

I have an off-grid PV system, and I live in a community among other solar-powered homes [bothoff-grid and net-metering].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 09:16 AM
 
Location: DC
6,509 posts, read 6,427,712 times
Reputation: 3112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That is the exact opposite of reality in my area.

The latest ad I got for Photovoltaic panels quoted 58cents/watt. The inverter, charge-controller and batteries together will typically cost about the same as the PV panels.

While installers normally quote $3.50/watt for installed net-metering systems [plus financing].

I have an off-grid PV system, and I live in a community among other solar-powered homes [bothoff-grid and net-metering].
You have a DIY system. You couldn't build that here unless you have an electrician license. My comment is cost comparison given an apples to apples comparison of total construction. DIY to licensed contractor is not apples to apples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM
 
Location: california
431 posts, read 1,009,474 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You have a DIY system. You couldn't build that here unless you have an electrician license. My comment is cost comparison given an apples to apples comparison of total construction. DIY to licensed contractor is not apples to apples.
I question your statement. An electrical license is not required to install a do it yourself solar system on one's own property. Because of your post, I verified this with both the State of California, and my City Permits Division. You should check where you live. In addition, comparing a system that I own completely, to one where I'd have to lease it for eternity from the grid is not an apples to apples comparison. Plus on a DIY system, I could subcontract out any portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The latest ad I got for Photovoltaic panels quoted 58cents/watt. The inverter, charge-controller and batteries together will typically cost about the same as the PV panels.
What source do you have for that price, and how do you handle the wiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,632 posts, read 49,281,484 times
Reputation: 19014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
... What source do you have for that price
I bought my PV panels from Sun Electric in Florida. Since that time I have been on their mailing list, and I continue to get their flyers.

Solar Panels & Systems - Sun Electronics Solar Panels



Quote:
... and how do you handle the wiring?
The PV panels came with MC-4 cabling installed. I figured out the lengths of MC-4 cabling that I needed to bring power to the sub-panel [breakers located in mid-array], and from that sub-panel into my house. The company that I got my E-panel from also provided all the MC-4 cables that I needed already dressed at the lengths that I needed.

The E-panel came pre-wired, inspected and tested with the Charge-controller, Inverter and breakers all in it. I only needed to connect: the line coming in from the PV array, the line going to the battery-bank, the 'Aux-in' for either a generator or grid power, and the line to our house panel.

The only component that I 'wired' was the battery-bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
30,632 posts, read 49,281,484 times
Reputation: 19014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You have a DIY system. You couldn't build that here unless you have an electrician license. My comment is cost comparison given an apples to apples comparison of total construction. DIY to licensed contractor is not apples to apples.
I have owned four apartment complexes previously. These are located in three different states and one is in the UK. In each case, I was allowed to do extensive remodeling myself, without a licensed contractor.

DC might be different, but I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Yellow cottage, green doors.
16,392 posts, read 13,054,060 times
Reputation: 72210
I am very angry about this 'solar' bs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2018, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,553 posts, read 9,622,856 times
Reputation: 12098
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They also sell the excess power they generate.

My personal opinion is that every big box building should be required to lease their roof space to solar power companies for power production. Think about all that wasted space...
Looking from the street level, bog box stores appear to have acres and acres of flat roof that just sits there waiting for solar panels.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top