U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 PM

2,772 posts, read 1,209,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
For most of the country electricity reliability is six 9s.

Oil as a heating source is very regional -- northeast and declining

The heating habits of 1% isn't what I was discussing. Where available natural gas predominates, then comes electricity, propane and way down the list oil. Coal isn't even an asterisk.
I remember working up in the far eastern part of NY and a lot of the employees who lived in Vermont had oil heat.

We have natural gas where I am, and a high efficiency furnace. I love it because it costs me only about $50 a month to heat a 2600 sq foot place around 76 F.

We had a heat pump set up when we lived in the South and it was fine...until we had a rare cold snap where it got into the teens. Personally I would never have a heat pump system anywhere up north
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 09:35 AM

6,496 posts, read 6,410,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I remember working up in the far eastern part of NY and a lot of the employees who lived in Vermont had oil heat.

We have natural gas where I am, and a high efficiency furnace. I love it because it costs me only about $50 a month to heat a 2600 sq foot place around 76 F.

We had a heat pump set up when we lived in the South and it was fine...until we had a rare cold snap where it got into the teens. Personally I would never have a heat pump system anywhere up north
I have a friend who is a utility CEO in Maine. He just installed a heat pump and says it works fine.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:41 AM

Not enough coal used to be meaningful.

https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data...pdf/sec6_4.pdf

https://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data...pdf/sec2_5.pdf

Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM

30,601 posts, read 49,198,882 times
Quote:
I have a friend who is a utility CEO in Maine. He just installed a heat pump and says it works fine.
I attended an Open House at a home down South in Bangor Maine a few weeks ago. They are grid-tied for net-metering and are trying to use heat-pumps and electric heaters to heat their home. Their idea is that they will 'bank' so much power on the grid, that it will be more than enough to run electric heaters through the Winter.

I found it amusing that at the Open House, I was the only person who drove to it in a solar-electric powered vehicle.

Old 02-04-2018, 03:13 PM

39,123 posts, read 40,471,327 times
Quote:
I can tell you right off the bat that number is wrong.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can tell you right off the bat that number is wrong.
Sure you can.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:17 AM

39,123 posts, read 40,471,327 times
Quote:
Sure you can.
Well it is, total production is far higher than that. Some of it is consumed by industry but it's no where near the amount those figures would indicate. The business I was running in 2006 would have accounted for about 1.2 percent of the figures they are giving. I wasn't accounting for 1.2 percent of the single processing facility I was dealing with let alone total production for the entire industry

Old 02-05-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well it is, total production is far higher than that. Some of it is consumed by industry but it's no where near the amount those figures would indicate. The business I was running in 2006 would have accounted for about 1.2 percent of the figures they are giving. I wasn't accounting for 1.2 percent of the single processing facility I was dealing with let alone total production for the entire industry
So coal producers are lying about their output.

Even if it's off by 100% coal is still an inconsequential residential energy source and getting smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or