U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,412,741 times

Advertisements

These post's really give some great ideas. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 12:15 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,338,671 times
Lets see...

I pretty much walk everywhere I can.
We use the environment friendly light bulbs.
I turn off all electricty when it isnt being used.
I recycle all my cans, glass, and plastic.
I look at all my catalogs online, as well as the town newspaper.
I recycle all my grocery bags.
I am sure I do more, I just cant think of it right now.

It is so important for us all to do our part. This is the only planet we have. We owe it to our kids and grandchildren, etc... to leave this world a better place for them.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:44 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,225,194 times
I do a lot of the typical things, recycle, use compact florescent bulbs...

And then I do things like:

Eat low on the food chain...no meat, 20+ years

Curb-shop...that's right, I pick up furniture, tools, plant containers...it's amazing what people throw out!

Recycle dogs...who needs brand new dogs when there are perfectly good ones for free wandering the streets?!

Old 03-23-2008, 02:51 AM

12,447 posts, read 31,523,584 times
I ride my mobility scooter all over town instead of driving or I take the local bus. My son walks everywhere including work!

Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM

2,111 posts, read 6,338,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I do a lot of the typical things, recycle, use compact florescent bulbs...

And then I do things like:

Eat low on the food chain...no meat, 20+ years

Curb-shop...that's right, I pick up furniture, tools, plant containers...it's amazing what people throw out!

Recycle dogs...who needs brand new dogs when there are perfectly good ones for free wandering the streets?!
I love that. And it is so true.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:43 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,879,590 times
Huckleberry wrote:
more bicycle--- however due to bad driving, its risky for transport.
i dont know any regulars that have not been hit at least once.
I'd love to ride my bike to and from work ( about 7 miles each way on relatively flat roads ) but I have avoided doing so for the very reason you mention. The local roads and highways are not designed for bicycle riders. It is still all about cars. Until there is a major shift in consciousness and roads are designerd to SAFELY accommodate bicycle traffic, I am likely to continue using my car....but biking would be alot more fun.

On a more positive note. The main thing we have done is to cut down on our consumption of just about everything. We are doing our fair share to tank the consumption based, ever expanding economy.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post

On a more positive note. The main thing we have done is to cut down on our consumption of just about everything. We are doing our fair share to tank the consumption based, ever expanding economy.
And that's really key, isn't it? Cutting down on consumption .

I have this visual every week at garbage time - something of mine being added to the pile at the dump. The visual is so unnerving, I don't want to buy anything that I might someday have to "add to the pile".....it's a great deterrent!

Old 03-25-2008, 07:59 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,879,590 times
riveree wrote:

I have this visual every week at garbage time - something of mine being added to the pile at the dump. The visual is so unnerving, I don't want to buy anything that I might someday have to "add to the pile".....it's a great deterrent!

Many of the homes in our neighborhood put out TWO filled-to-the brim trash bins every week. We put out one half full bin once a month ( pat myself on the back ). Makes me wonder how they generate so much trash.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
riveree wrote:

Many of the homes in our neighborhood put out TWO filled-to-the brim trash bins every week. We put out one half full bin once a month ( pat myself on the back ). Makes me wonder how they generate so much trash.
Someone told me recently that they tip their garbage men at holiday time since they "do so much for us". When I asked what that meant, the person said "they take away a lot of extra garbage for us". It really suprised me because there are only 2 adults living in the home - how much garbage could they generate that it makes the garbage men work harder than usual?

Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,837,192 times
1. Recycle everything possible.
2. Compost vegetable and yard waste.
3. Have a vegetable garden and go to the local Farmer's Market.
4. Switching to CF bulbs (although I'm worried about the mercury....).
5. Buy certified organic products when possible/feasible.
6. Eat very little meat.
7. Ditched the minivan for a Hyundai Elantra--better gas mileage and emissions.
8. My husband makes things out of found materials--wooden pallets, bamboo.
9. Take cloth bags to grocery store--trying to get in the habit of keeping some in the car.
10. Planting trees at my daughter's school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living