U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:48 PM

5,288 posts, read 7,587,419 times

Advertisements

I am a vegetarian but not a vegan, I do my very best to buy all dairy products from fully-vetted organic/free range farming operations like Wisconsin's Organic Valley co-op or at least to buy locally sourced dairy.

I am looking forward to reading the Omnivore's Dilemma, just got gifted a copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM

672 posts, read 1,802,158 times
I just installed a water saver in my showerhead so I can take "Navy showers" easily. It's a little $5 push button gizmo that's installed between the showerhead and the pipe feeding the showerhead.

So now, I can get in the shower, turn the water off to soap up, and turn it back on easily to wash the soap off. My shower has 3 knobs - one for hot, one for cold and the one to send the water to the showerhead instead of the tub faucet. If I had a simple one turn handle, I would probably just go without this water saver and turn the water off at the handle. I like being able to turn the water off in less than a second and turn it back on just as fast.

I've already calculated how many gallons I use in a typical shower without the water saver. Tomorrow I will figure out how much I use with the saver.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
In addition to aluminum cans, I wash out, flatten and save food cans. I have the room here to dedicate to the big barrels that I need to store them. Eventually I'll take them to the all-metals recycler down the street.

I don't even waste water to wash them out. I use existing water, such as what's in the kitchen sink after washing dishes.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,691,574 times
I no longer pour my old motor oil into the city sewer drain...I now dump it into my recycle bin........Hey I wanta do my part too.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,743,656 times
in your recycling bin...where does that end up?

Old 05-11-2010, 10:05 PM

65 posts, read 226,778 times
Just an update. I tried some natural green products tonight to manage several bathinhg needs, Olive Oil works great in your bath for keeping your skin smooth and hydrated. a thimble size (or maybe a tiny bit more). in your cooler bath water will do wonders for your skin. If you want to condition your hair. wash your hair with Ivory bar soap and dunk it under the oily water and massage your hair to fully saturate it with the oil. It has many advantages for your hair as well. One is it SMELLS GREAT!. Now using cool water and vinegar. I had white vinegar as my hair is white, cider vinegar may leave a color to my hair. some swear by apple cider vinegar. Either one works. rinse out your hair. and genty brush it. Hair still too slick? Spray more white vinegar at it. I love the results and it smells divine!

For privates cleaning again I use white vinegar in a spray bottle to douse that area. kills all fungus real fast. rinse as needed. Ditto on toe fungus as well. Fantastic stuff! It is inexexpensive and can be aquired at any grocery store. Even on food stamps!

Brushing your teeth with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide also works better than the store brand stuff I used in the past;. It is also cheap and kills bad breath fast too. Baking soda in Connecticut is foodstampable. Not sure about Hydrogen Peroxide however.

Heres another Vinegar surprise, got dry skin? Saturate it with white vinegar and the dead skin is removed and your skin is revitalized! No scaly residue! I can't say that about several of the commercial skin products!

I feel cleaner! Smell cleaner, live Greener and save loads of Green! And my hair is whiter, as is my teeth, Skin blemishes are dimminished. I think my grandmother knew something that took me 42 years to learn! I am impressed! I am going to continue to use these products.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:32 AM

5,288 posts, read 7,587,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
in your recycling bin...where does that end up?
for sale, as long as your waste hauler can get it to a place like this:

Resource Management Companies

Old 05-14-2010, 03:54 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,801,661 times
I drink tap beer.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:31 PM

19,122 posts, read 22,158,663 times
I don't understand a lot of this, like not eatting meats, or throwing out dead electronics. What does one do with dead electronics?

I cut down a lot of dead and dying trees to create light and allow other plants to thrive. I create a better maple sugar zone for trees where I can.

For 9 months i try to use a motorcycle that gets over 40 mpg.

I grow much of my veggies hardly buying any and I use 0 chemicals from stores.

I strip off anti theft packing in any stores as soon as the items are bought, a mini revolt.

I compost cardboards, with grass, leaves and brewery grain and make apx 12 cubic yards of top notch garden soil a year, which with a little refining is top notch starter soil too. Yesterday I made well over 150 lbs of that.

I turn off the power when it isn't in use.

I avoid buying things of plastic as much as possible, which includes clothing. No polyester or other non natural cloths. No synthectic rope either for common uses while I use what is strongest for logging.

For the life of me I can't see how eating meat harms earth, any more than wearing make up does.

I use a lot of leather, fur, sinew for sewwing, hide glue for gluing, and all sort of other uses for bone. I make leather from deer, moose and bear when I can get any hides. Wild animals are totally re-newable sources for lots of things.

Fish parts go in compost too, or direct into the garden.

4 years ago the garden was a miserable patch I hand dug and today is is apx 60 x 100 and feeds 3 for a year if only 1/2 the plants survive.

I am away too much to raise domestic animals for food, or i would.

If I hit the brewery right the grains are still fit for breads and we tend to hit the brewery right. and have 20 lbs of grain for breads in the freezer at all times.

Anytime I take a truck for something too big for the bike i stop and get (2 to 3) 600 lbs barrels of grain fit to eat ot fit to compost.

With bones I make beads, game counters, the ulna bone in deer make a awl as is once dry, needle cases, whisels, and more.

I probably do other things that skip my mind, and try to make a light foot print on earth. Of course the dump has a re-cyling policy, and 1/2 the time i am taking something back out of the dump others threw out.

I have dressers, thumb back chairs, a lawn mower, a tiller, metal for projects and other stuff right from the dump. In another like I even had a Hot Point portable dishwasher from the dump. It was mint other than a plastic chrome trim and a bit too much soap gooked in the safety switch.

The computer I am typing on I hope will be exhanged over the weekend for a better freebie xp system.

I plan to take the cables the cd, dvd and some other parts, but the rest is useless to me as is this heavily fogged monitor. What shall I do with these unwanted parts?

And water... Water in NH is no issue at all... last summer for 27 days of June it rained 2+ inches every day, then 18 more at 1+ every day of 18 in July... In NH we have a water surplus...

Old 05-14-2010, 06:43 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,099,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
...... What does one do with dead electronics?

.................................................. .................................................. ................
.................................................. .................................................. ................

The computer I am typing on I hope will be exhanged over the weekend for a better freebie xp system.

I plan to take the cables the cd, dvd and some other parts, but the rest is useless to me as is this heavily fogged monitor. What shall I do with these unwanted parts? ...
E-cycling Central: Results
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living