U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:29 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,222,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I buy items built in metric so I don't have to throw them out when standard tools are not made anymore. Also in the store, I buy the metricated size since they tend to contain a larger amount than the colonial size.
Interesting! Now that's thinking ahead!

I'm going to keep your tip in mind about buying in metricated size .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,995,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Interesting! Now that's thinking ahead!

I'm going to keep your tip in mind about buying in metricated size .
Let me tell you the story on how I got involved in metrication. 2 years ago, I was at the grocery store trying to buy soda. I was trying to be green at the time by reducing my waste. I had to choose between the soda bottle and the 12 (or was it the 24)-pack. The cans were 12 oz while the bottle was (of course) 2 L. I was trying to figure out how many oz were in the 2 L bottle (since the shelf label had the unit pricing in oz) but it was listed in quarts between the parenthesis. I knew 2 c = 1 pt; 2 pt = 1 qt; and 4 qt = 1 gal, but I didn't know how many oz were in a cup (? oz = 1 c; A: 8 oz) nor how many oz is in 0.1 qt. So I used metric and figured out the unit pricing using my knowledge of the metric system from my high school chemistry class a year before. The bottle was cheaper, more portable, and greener because I always feel guilty if I don't recycle the cans and it's far from my house to the metal yard to cash them in not to mention the pollution created by the exhaust of a 20 km drive.

Can you imagine how much plastic was saved over 30 years by with the extra 108 mL of soda that were added when production switched between 2 qt to 2 L bottles? Now can you imagine the waste generated by a 215 mL smaller 1 gallon plastic milk jug versus the larger 4 L size over those 30 years?

Old 05-30-2008, 12:53 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,222,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Let me tell you the story on how I got involved in metrication. 2 years ago, I was at the grocery store trying to buy soda. I was trying to be green at the time by reducing my waste. I had to choose between the soda bottle and the 12 (or was it the 24)-pack. The cans were 12 oz while the bottle was (of course) 2 L. I was trying to figure out how many oz were in the 2 L bottle (since the shelf label had the unit pricing in oz) but it was listed in quarts between the parenthesis. I knew 2 c = 1 pt; 2 pt = 1 qt; and 4 qt = 1 gal, but I didn't know how many oz were in a cup (? oz = 1 c; A: 8 oz) nor how many oz is in 0.1 qt. So I used metric and figured out the unit pricing using my knowledge of the metric system from my high school chemistry class a year before. The bottle was cheaper, more portable, and greener because I always feel guilty if I don't recycle the cans and it's far from my house to the metal yard to cash them in not to mention the pollution created by the exhaust of a 20 km drive.

Can you imagine how much plastic was saved over 30 years by with the extra 108 mL of soda that were added when production switched between 2 qt to 2 L bottles? Now can you imagine the waste generated by a 215 mL smaller 1 gallon plastic milk jug versus the larger 4 L size over those 30 years?
Looks like I'll need to bring you shopping with me...that's a lot of math!

But yes, I see your point, by the manufacturer making that small change, a big cumulative change happened .

Old 05-30-2008, 04:59 AM

983 posts, read 4,095,923 times
I have started using the reusable bags for all my shopping. Old habits are so hard to break, sometimes I leave them in the car. I want to get away from bottle water and it will happen cause I am feeling guilty. I have started turning off the water while brusing my teeth. Once I buy my home I plan to really step it up. Like my apt complex is useless. There is no recyclable bins so we have to tote plastic bottles and phone books, etc to a location and most people aren't going to do it!

Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 AM

4,852 posts, read 8,995,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I have started using the reusable bags for all my shopping. Old habits are so hard to break, sometimes I leave them in the car. I want to get away from bottle water and it will happen cause I am feeling guilty. I have started turning off the water while brusing my teeth. Once I buy my home I plan to really step it up. Like my apt complex is useless. There is no recyclable bins so we have to tote plastic bottles and phone books, etc to a location and most people aren't going to do it!
San Francisco banned plastic bags already. Did it catch on in the rest of California?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 PM

8,632 posts, read 9,172,480 times
I drive a lot closer to people to stay in the draft and I coast down hills!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:37 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,752,019 times
For almost forty years I was a boilermaker and spent alot of that time installing and maintaining anti-pollution equipment in powerhouses, steelmills, refineries and chemical plants. Baghouses, precipitators, overfired air and stuff like that. Built a couple of nukes too, holding down the carbon and all that.

Of course I did it for the money not from any belief in ecology, I was green for the green.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:46 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,469,400 times
If I'm not using it, I unplug it! Hate to think of all that energy being sucked out of the grid for no reason. Drove the hubster nuts at first, since he'd go to use the microwave and forget it wasn't plugged in

Old 06-11-2008, 08:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,714,725 times
We put our girls in Cloth diapers. It only takes about a week to get into the new pattern of changing/cleaning...and it saves a few thousand diapers from going in the landfill. After about 5 month...they have paid for themselves in the cost of disposables. We took an extra step and use only organic cotton cloth wipes.

We do have 1-2 extra loads of laundry per week...the only negative we have been able to come up with (other then handling stinky diapers

Old 06-12-2008, 04:45 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,858,337 times
My friend talked about doing two other things that I have now adopted. Using cloth handerchiefs instead of Kleenex and using rags in place of paper towels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living