U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:35 PM

260 posts, read 820,343 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and empty nesters, so we gave our car to our son for his family of five and we just use our truck. With just two of us we find we only need one vehicle, even though we live 15 miles from town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
The most impressive measure I've read thus far on this list is KKRA and her husband getting down to one car. That's the way it used to be not too long ago...one car per family. Growing up that way, I never gave it a second thought. We did just fine with one car. Though it would certainly create some inconveniences with todays hectic lifestyles, it can be done. In the not too distant future, I imagine that we'll be seeing more and more of it out of necessity rather than choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 02:38 AM

38 posts, read 144,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
San Francisco banned plastic bags already. Did it catch on in the rest of California?
Unfortunately not.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 AM

517 posts, read 2,283,487 times
I try to do alot of what others have already mentioned: Recycling, CF bulbs, conserve electricity, cloth shower liners instead of plastic, reuse bags/use cloth bags.

Here's my question: I'm looking to buy a house and since I'm not wealthy I'm looking at fixer-uppers. What are the best green upgrades to consider doing that won't break the bank?

Old 06-16-2008, 02:31 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,008,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum Yum View Post
Unfortunately not.
You should be able to recycle them at the local grocery stores.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:17 AM

5,006 posts, read 13,864,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I try to do alot of what others have already mentioned: Recycling, CF bulbs, conserve electricity, cloth shower liners instead of plastic, reuse bags/use cloth bags.

Here's my question: I'm looking to buy a house and since I'm not wealthy I'm looking at fixer-uppers. What are the best green upgrades to consider doing that won't break the bank?
Thanks for the comment on cloth shower liners. I just purchased one. I always hated those plastic ones. Upped your rep for you help here.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I drive a lot closer to people to stay in the draft and I coast down hills!

I would suggest not driving so close. Better to use more gas than get in an accident. I know because I totalled a pickup on the L.A. freeway because I was too close, looked up at an off ramp sign for only a second, and the cars in front had stopped. It ended up being a 4 car accident, and we lost a good pickup. It could have killed a lot of people since the pickup when into the middle of the van in front.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:47 AM

37,150 posts, read 45,694,157 times
I just recently bought the reusable grocery carriers from my market. Not only are the groceries easier to carry, but I don't have a cupboard full of bags that fall out every time I open it. I had never even thought of the benefit of gaining a whole empty cupboard. Since the older I get the more I want to purge myself of stuff, this no bag thing is very satisfying.

Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just recently bought the reusable grocery carriers from my market. Not only are the groceries easier to carry, but I don't have a cupboard full of bags that fall out every time I open it. I had never even thought of the benefit of gaining a whole empty cupboard. Since the older I get the more I want to purge myself of stuff, this no bag thing is very satisfying.
I have two of them but don't use them because I need the plastic bags for garbage. Not sure how to get around that one.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:17 AM

12,627 posts, read 18,178,720 times
Consolidate trips
garden
make big portions of food and freeze the extra it takes just as much energy
was full loads
turn off things when not in use
Use more natural cleaners when applicable, I however will not give up a bleach cleaner to clean the toilet cannot get around that one it has to be clean and all the yuckys gone
Set the thermostat on one temp and leave it there
Keep the right gage air in my tires
do oil changes on time
Just simple basic stuff

Old 06-22-2008, 03:09 PM

72 posts, read 209,936 times
1. Cut down on showers
2. Stopped using deodorant and other chemical products that do nothing for your body and harm the environment.
3. Instead of dumping the dog's old water out before cleaning and refilling, instead I use it for making coffee or tea. Gets superheated anyway so kills any germs and saves water.
4. cut down on dishwashing frequency.

BTW, I am in the market for a good woman, as I am free and desireable. Any around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living