U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 11:50 AM

651 posts, read 573,176 times

Advertisements

Is there any data available that shows that businesses and corporations save more money or are more profitable when using recycled material for producing products versus raw materials?

In the wake of tariffs being imposed on aluminum and steel, will there be a greater push to gather recycled materials? Reducing resources is great, but there is a cost to manage and transport recycled materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 02:20 PM

6,509 posts, read 6,427,712 times
Aluminum, steel, cardboard and paper generally are cost effective to recycle. Other products typically cost more to use recycled material.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:28 PM

14,553 posts, read 9,622,856 times
Some recyclers are known to have emptied their loads in a landfill. Never thought sorting out all the trash that ends up in "recycling bins" is worth it.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:16 AM

9,390 posts, read 17,311,940 times
Back when I was purchasing paper wholesale, recycled paper always cost more. It was also a lower quality, but some customers wanted that recycled emblem so they appeared to be "green".

Steel and aluminum have always been recycled. My dad made a small fortune selling scrap metals, from old cars, machinery or scrap from manufacturing plants to old bridges. When prices were high he'd get a lot of calls from businesses and farmers who figured it was a good time to get rid of their discarded machinery. Higher tariffs will probably drive up the price of recycled scrap metals enough to increase it a bit, at least temporarily. For example, he didn't normally pay for scrap cars, as he barely sold them for enough to pay his cost of handling and transportation, but when scrap prices were high he might pay $25 for each one. That's when the junk yards would clear out their yards. Even then, he'd only take one or two per load of scrap, piled on top of the heavier steel/iron that actually paid for his trips.

I don't know how it is elsewhere, but where I live if you want your household garbage recycled it'll cost you about double for trash pickup, and there are only a few things that they'll take in the recycle bins. I don't use the service, mostly because it's just my wife and I now, and it usually takes us 2-3 weeks just to fill our small trash dumpster. We do recycle our aluminum cans, however. We have a can smasher and put all the soda and beer cans in garbage bags, make a trip to the recycler every few months and collect $25 bucks or so -- enough for another case of beer to get the recycling started again.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 AM

14,753 posts, read 31,175,948 times
I don’t worry with recycling paper or cardboard because it’s biodegradable and will disappear on its own. I also don’t bother recycling cans because I just don’t use that many of them.

The two things I always recycle are plastic and glass, mostly just to keep them out of the landfills. And of course plastic shopping bags go in the bin at the grocery store.

Old 04-23-2018, 04:49 AM

33,832 posts, read 41,892,438 times
Container glass (jelly jars or liquor bottles for example) is highly recyclable, if any glass plants still exist. The optimum mix for cullet/scrap glass combined with raw materials used to be 15%. That allowed you to drop the furnace temperature by 200-300 degrees.

That was 40 years ago when I worked in the industry.

I worked for the same company in a bottle cap plant and you mixed the scrap plastic, say from the runners, in with the raw material and stretched that out as well as dropping the melt point.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:50 AM

16,567 posts, read 14,008,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Is there any data available that shows that businesses and corporations save more money or are more profitable when using recycled material for producing products versus raw materials?

In the wake of tariffs being imposed on aluminum and steel, will there be a greater push to gather recycled materials? Reducing resources is great, but there is a cost to manage and transport recycled materials.
Like most science based policy it is much more complicated than a simple yes or no. The most honest answer is "it depends". It depends on what you are recycling, your location and location of your market, economic factors ranging from cost of fuel to the cost of labor and a hundred other things, local regulations, and so on.

As for your exact scenario, there is a very similar if not higher cost associated with transporting raw materials to the refining plants. For all the monies spent on collecting, cleaning, and sorting recyclables, there is even more spent on mining and refining ores. You have to look at total cost, from mining to X amount of refined materials and then compare that to the cost of collecting and sorting materials to the refined materials.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:47 AM

39,193 posts, read 40,579,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
The thing about metals is there is a lot energy that goes into producing them from raw materials. You need to mine the iron ore and then it needs to separated from the rock. You still need to deal with contaminants from recycled material but it's much more refined product from the start.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:27 PM

14,553 posts, read 9,622,856 times
Questioning recycling places you right with the climate deniers. Be prepared to be labeled anti-science too. I have yet to see evidence that recycling saves money. There was a report a while back that some recyclers took them straight to the dump. Not worth paying to sort through the trash that gets mixed in to get to the good stuff.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:49 PM

6,509 posts, read 6,427,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Questioning recycling places you right with the climate deniers. Be prepared to be labeled anti-science too. I have yet to see evidence that recycling saves money. There was a report a while back that some recyclers took them straight to the dump. Not worth paying to sort through the trash that gets mixed in to get to the good stuff.
Look up recycling aluminum and then come to tell us how idiotic your statement sounds.

The production of secondary (recycled) aluminum saves more than 90 percent of the energy costs associated with primary production. Producing aluminum from ore takes about 15 kWH/kg at 8 /kWh = $1.20/kg. Bulk price of aluminum about $1/pound or $2.20/kg.

Want to revisit the "I have yet to see evidence" statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or