Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Great points - it doesn't produce oxygen or support life .

So I guess the answer is NO, Synth-lawn is NOT green!

I wonder if there is an alternate ground cover that could stand up to bocce ball? Is there a native grass or a ground-hugging vine?

Oh - what about decomposed granite? Have you seen it, Mdtoaz? It's really beautiful . It's often used for pathways in gardens, but I don't see why it would not work for a bocce court...it might look very old-world too .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,019,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I wonder if there is an alternate ground cover that could stand up to bocce ball? Is there a native grass or a ground-hugging vine?

Oh - what about decomposed granite? Have you seen it, Mdtoaz? It's really beautiful . It's often used for pathways in gardens, but I don't see why it would not work for a bocce court...it might look very old-world too .
I've never heard of it, but I might have to do a little research.

As far as ground cover, I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but this is my first attempt at gardening in the desert. We don't have too many plants right now, but the ones we have are all native.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,609 times
check out Recycled Synthetic Grass there is quite a bit of info including a break down of how environmentally friendly synthetic grass actuallly is.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:11 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Not nearly as green as gravel in a desert environment.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:50 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Default Qulaity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
I was wondering if anyone has experience/knowledge about synthetic grass. Lowe's carries a brand called Synth-lawn. We live in Tucson, AZ and would like to have a little patch of something green for a bocce ball court. We definitely don't want to plant grass - we had a hard enough time growing a nice lawn in Maryland, let alone in the desert.

I know that it's a great option for this area because it does not need to be watered like real grass, but I don't know about the manufacturing process - is it recycled materials, etc.

Anyone with some insight, please give me an opinion.
Most are made from 90% virgin material. They can use recycle material but it needs to be seperated down to the specifics of the product and thats not something US recycling is willing to do. Recyclers can sell the mixed material to PRC at higher prices because they need it to make cheap products to ship back tot he US. The little recyle material in it comes from other manufacturing waste that are not comingled.

Quality artificial grass has UV protection so it won't fade. The backing is from recyled waste of tire manufactures. It can be recyled IF your community does carpet recylcling. If there is no carpet recyling, it's going to a landfill.

How green depends on how and why used.

The manufacturing is green neutral. The energy and chemicals used to make fake grass is no more or less than commerical grass seed or sod production. Think of all the fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, diesel farm equipment, water, packaging equipment, trucking cost for grass seed production or a sod farm and fake grass uses no more.

The logistics of fake grass is NOT green compared to regular grass. The energy to ship an acre of fake grass compred to an acre of local sod or brand grass seed is huge.

Water use is minimal and may be less than anyother decorative surface. Real grass will use thousands of gallons a year where the fake grass needs no water. Think of the energy and chemicals to get water to your house and fake grass beats real grass hands down.

Chemical contamination is nill on artifical grass compared to the amount of chemical pesticides, fertilizers and other crap put on grass to keep it looking good. Those chemicals are not contained on your property but can contaminate water supplies miles and miles away. So ont hat, fake grass again beats real grass hands down.

Real grass does produce air, so it's by far greener in that area. Of course if the option is fake grass or dirt and rocks, theose don;t produce air neither so its equal in that area.

I think the reason may say fake grass is greener than real grass is because we all know the impact to produce a yard of artificial turf where depending on the person, they can be using ten times as much chemicals, thousands of times more water, and producing many times the yard waste to keep the real grass looking good.

You know how you would really be using the artificial turf and you can come to your own conclusuion about how it stacks up to real grass. If the concern the least harmful product for the enviroment while still providingt he surface ytiou need, artificial grass tops the scale. You can get real grass to come close or maybe beat fake grass on enviromental concerns if you are appraching it from a pure enviromentally firendly (no chemicals, natural rainfall, no fertilizers, etc) way of doing things. If you don;t think thats what you will be doing, sometimes man-made products are better for the enviroment than the real thing.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,609 times
Most people who are looking to install synthetic grass are doing it because for what ever reason grass won't grow where they would like it to. In the past this has meant having to resort to pavers or concrete - which do not create oxygen or create life either, but becuase these options are so obviously not a living product nobody complains about it. Synthetic grass gives you all the benefits of pavers or concrete but adds an organic ambience to the area, and for those that choose to they can use a product that is made out of recycled PET bottles. What's wrong with wanting a lush green environment inplace of hard concrete?

Old 12-28-2010, 02:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
its common for use in doggy daycares around here...(in the case of pets make sure you get a faux grass with a gridded or fabric base, so it properly drains through, some brands dont)
it holds up well to alot of dog mess, attempts at digging and lots of running skidding ect (and no mud problems after rain or snow...)

is it "green" not nessicarily...
but theres also processing that oes into granite, slab, pavers ect...
and its definatly better on a water tight environment than trying to get a lawn to grow...
a well manicured lawn isnt realy "green" in itself in many situations, between water needs and fertilizer and gas to run the lawnmower and the emmissions from the lawnmower (how many have electric lawnmowers?)

honestly if you want a green patch but dont want to fight your environment, id definatly consider a recycled artificial grass...no water, no mowing you can edge it with flower beds and normal edging, and when there done right with a good product they LOOK real (and many feel like real grass too)

i wouldnt rip out REAL grass for faux grass...but if grass wont grow and you dont want hard surface...its great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living