Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:58 PM

12 posts, read 14,483 times

Advertisements

I saw a portion of a news story on the NBC Evening News that these bulbs contain mercury. The report actually said to be careful - and do not break these bulbs. They made it sound as if a HAZMAT team would have to come in and clean up the mercury "waste".

So how are you suppose to dispose of these bulbs at the end of their life? I can see the average citizen just throwing them out in the garbage.

I'm starting to think that this is one of those "ideas" that was not well thought out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke Wood View Post
I saw a portion of a news story on the NBC Evening News that these bulbs contain mercury. The report actually said to be careful - and do not break these bulbs. They made it sound as if a HAZMAT team would have to come in and clean up the mercury "waste".

So how are you suppose to dispose of these bulbs at the end of their life? I can see the average citizen just throwing them out in the garbage.

I'm starting to think that this is one of those "ideas" that was not well thought out.
I saw a story about this on the news too. I happened to break a CFL bulb a few weeks ago when I was cleaning out my linen closet. Not having seen the news report yet, I just swept it up and threw it out. It's hard to know what to do anymore. One the one hand, it saves energy to use these bulbs, on the other hand we're poisoning the landfills if we don't dipose of them properly. We just can't win. Here's a link re: clean up: Spills, Site Cleanup and Disposal | Mercury | US EPA.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-25-2008, 01:41 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,600,702 times
The way I understand it, the amount of mercury vapor used in the CFL is miniscule and does not present a health hazard unless you break a lot of them and breath the vapors regularly.

The bigger problem is the accumulation of them in landfills. Many retailers are starting to lauch programs to collect these at the store level for proper processing. Some do it free, others may charge a disposal fee. It is still at the cutting edge of servicing right now, but it seems like this will become a standard service in the near future for most of the big vendors of CFLs.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
The way I understand it, the amount of mercury vapor used in the CFL is miniscule and does not present a health hazard unless you break a lot of them and breath the vapors regularly.

The bigger problem is the accumulation of them in landfills. Many retailers are starting to lauch programs to collect these at the store level for proper processing. Some do it free, others may charge a disposal fee. It is still at the cutting edge of servicing right now, but it seems like this will become a standard service in the near future for most of the big vendors of CFLs.
I read that Walmart is working on starting a recycling program, and I believe Home Depot already has one in place.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:14 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
LED lights are the answer.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:22 PM

12 posts, read 14,483 times
Thanks for the posts. I personally have not seen any of these "recycle" bins at the stores - but I have not looked for them either.

I recycle all of my plastic bags by returning them to the grocery store(s) to the bins provided. I go to the grocery up to 3 times a week sometimes more, so taking the plastic there is easy. Unfortunately, I do not see many people doing this.

That's why I fear - unless we make it very easy for consumers, these cf bulbs are going to end up in the landfills.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:55 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
There is a recycling center near where I work that accepts hazardous waste such as batteries, paint, cfls, etc and so I take stuff like that there.

Get a big*ss canvas bag...it will save you the trouble.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
CFL's are useless. LED is where its at. Right now though, all the big companies are trying to rake in more money on CFL's rather than admitting they are completely inferior in both performance and energy conservation compared to LEDs.

I have a house full of CFL's, but have a friend who has LEDs and they are much better. You also have NOTHING to worry about with mercury as they don't contain any. People who truly care about the environment will help spread the word about LEDs since the CFL manufacturers are not in any hurry to do so. They'd rather rake in profits pretending to be green for a few more years and see a slow transition to LED's.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
You'd have to cram 100 LED's into one bulb for it to be bright enough. I have some outdoor lights that have four LED's in them and they are so dim they're useless.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,445,282 times
I like that LED lasts forever (it does, right? ).

We recently bought new crank-up flashlights and a lantern and they are LED...I love them!

I'd be very open to switching over to LED if there is a choice available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living