U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 01:02 PM

698 posts, read 2,462,782 times

Advertisements

I have to search my bookmarks but believe I have a link to the site I bought ours at online. I looked at several stores locally and no one had it. It wasn't cheap but not out of this world either, and well worth the money. It shows no signs of weather damage and we get tons of heat, sun and rain here in SoFL. The lines are in good shape too, after 3+ years.

I leave mine open although it does retract -- just like an umbrella -- duh! lol

We used the pipe it came with and used a board and hammer to pound it into the ground. I did not need reinforcement. It comes with a lid/cover to use when you want to remove the clothesline for whatever reason but keep rocks and other things out of the pipe. They also sell a stand so you may use it indoors or in your garage on bad-weather days. Great idea and I would have bought it but we keep a rack (very nice one bought from Lillian Vernon) in our garage and didn't need it.

My favorite thing about this dryer is that fact that it allows me to stand in one spot (not in the grass or dirt but on a concrete paver, high and dry) with my hamper and load/unload by spinning it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM

698 posts, read 2,462,782 times
I'm not finding my link but if you want to shop around for this air dryer just Google the words "Brabantia Lift-o-matic rotary dryer" and several hits will come up. Buy Choice has these and maybe even Amazon. The company that makes them is in Secaucus, NJ, (866) 837-9995. Ours has 4 arms and 45mm ground tube.
I believe we paid in the neighborhood of $140 and I'm sure it's paid for itself by now not using the electric dryer. :^)

Old 04-07-2008, 10:57 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,143,599 times
Sorry to say I use the dryer! I do allot of laundry I have boys!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 55,874 times
I prefer both. In summers I hang the laundry on racks and in winter the dryer.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,990,353 times
I will hang out my laundry to dry weather permitting ( it's better for the clothes and they smell better too ) or indoors in our spare room if it's raining . We have a dryer but I hardly ever use it unless swamped by sheets and duvet covers if we have had guests.

Dryers shorten the length of your clothes' life and I hate the smell.

I am always astonished whilst in the US that most people NEVER hang their washing out. Especially in the places where it's usually really hot and would dry really quickly. It really puzzles me.
Most American places seem to have basements and I have hardly ever seen a drying line in what is usually a really warm place too. I wish I had that amount of space to use for drying clothes...

Old 04-13-2008, 06:20 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,877,735 times
What a difference a day makes.
Yesterday was dry and windy and I dried *everything* (including jeans!) outside. Mother Nature did a really good job for me.
Today it's rainy.
Woe betide anyone who forgets their laundry outside in changeable weather. Back in Colorado, I occasionally ended up with frozen underpants.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,162,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Woe betide anyone who forgets their laundry outside in changeable weather. Back in Colorado, I occasionally ended up with frozen underpants.
Oh, do I remember those kind of days! I was raised in Wyoming, so hanging your laundry out to dry in the wintertime was always a gamble. And, frozen jeans were the worst. They were stiff enough to stand up in the corner!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 20,116,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I will hang out my laundry to dry weather permitting ( it's better for the clothes and they smell better too ) or indoors in our spare room if it's raining . We have a dryer but I hardly ever use it unless swamped by sheets and duvet covers if we have had guests.

Dryers shorten the length of your clothes' life and I hate the smell.

I am always astonished whilst in the US that most people NEVER hang their washing out. Especially in the places where it's usually really hot and would dry really quickly. It really puzzles me.
Most American places seem to have basements and I have hardly ever seen a drying line in what is usually a really warm place too. I wish I had that amount of space to use for drying clothes...
Sometimes I'm just too lazy to hang out my clothes, honest truth. But today, I think I will.

Most people would laugh at my situation, but my laundry room is 40' behind my house. Someone who owned it before me used the "laundry studio" as a craft room and it has hanging rods, an air conditioner, and big windows. Even with all that, it's a bit old and shabby and needs work. But I really enjoy folding and ironing clothes while looking into the back yard. And it helps me keep my main house cleaner by keeping those activities outside.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,793,762 times
This thread inspired me to get my drying racks out this weekend. The weather was perfect and I dried 3 loads. I did put sheets and some work clothes in the dryer. Didn't have room for the sheets and the work clothes turn out better in the dryer. When my husband comes back from working out of town, installing a tube for an umbrella dryer will be at the top of the honey-do list.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:56 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,046,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Sorry to say I use the dryer! I do allot of laundry I have boys!
Me too - 3 of them!!!

I get them to help hang out the laundry on the line, they're in training - I'm looking forward seeing to them helping my daughter-in-laws too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living