Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:09 AM

955 posts, read 2,157,312 times

Advertisements

We prefer to hang them outside. Our clothsline supports are two old telegraph poles that used to be on a railroad right of way. They look neat.

Obviously, we'd be banned in an urban environment for such an eyesore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:36 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Default If clotheslines are outlawed, only outlaws with have clotheslines!

Florida law now prohibits HOAs from banning clotheslines, xeriscaping, solar, etc. The HOA can still retain some input re: placement, etc., just as with cable dishes. Several other states have passed similar legislation.

I hang a good half of my clothes out, but use hangars and a clothing rack and wheel it out on my deck. Also have a retractable line in the garage/laundry room and use that for undies or when it is raining and I can't use the rack.

I have scoped out the spot in my back yard that I will be installing a line big enough for sheets and towels. Now I see that I need to check out the "solar systems" that you all are using to see if a simple clothesline will suffice .

Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Can the umbrella drying racks handle sheets? What do you do? Just hang them around the edges?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:24 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Can the umbrella drying racks handle sheets? What do you do? Just hang them around the edges?
Yes they do - and depending on the size of the dryer - you may have to go around more than one side to hang big sheets.

If it's a warm and breezy enough day, I find I can hang the sheets folded double - same for duvet covers.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Yes they do - and depending on the size of the dryer - you may have to go around more than one side to hang big sheets.

If it's a warm and breezy enough day, I find I can hang the sheets folded double - same for duvet covers.
Warm and breezy describes where I live so that should not be a problem. We used to hang sheets doubled over on the clothesline when I was a kid, too.

I have fond memories of playing at my mom's feet when she would hang clothes when I was very young. We used a clothes line exclusively until I was in middle school and Mom bought herself a clothes dryer.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:04 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
The last place we lived, we had two loooong clotheslines-I loved that!!! Now I don't have even one, but as soon as we buy a home, I'm putting up lines. I use a dryer in winter, but starting around now, April, it's clothes-line time!

Old 04-14-2008, 08:55 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,370 times
MaryJanesFarm Farmgirl Connection - Using a clothesline
Found this interesting thread on the topic.
(Sorry if the link breaks!)

Old 04-14-2008, 10:27 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Over the weekend in southern cal temps were unusually warm for April, low 90s with humidity at about 15%. I put a couple of loads of wash out to dry on the folding rack and my clothes lines and they were dry in about an hour. Some items were almost crispy. I really like the benefits of solar drying on linens and towels. Sunlight is a great germ and bacteria killer - don't know if it's better than chlorine bleach, but if I can do without one more chemical that's all the better.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,433,231 times
I do both but the only things that will dry here are smaller things. Florida has such a high humidity that something will mildew before it drys properly.

I tend to hang things like shirts and of course some delicates.

At the moment, I have an electric dryer but when I replace it which will be sometime in the next few years, I want to get a gas dryer and a front loading washer, I understand the front loading ones use less water.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:41 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I do both but the only things that will dry here are smaller things. Florida has such a high humidity that something will mildew before it drys properly.

I tend to hang things like shirts and of course some delicates.

At the moment, I have an electric dryer but when I replace it which will be sometime in the next few years, I want to get a gas dryer and a front loading washer, I understand the front loading ones use less water.
I bought a new washer and dryer set about 3 years ago. I'm just the opposite and don't want one of the front loading washers. That's why I bought then before you couldn't get top loaders anymore.

Ya, they are supposed to use less water, but they are considerably more expensive. Also, since they use less water, does that mean that the cleaning may not be as effective. You can't get something for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living