U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 03:41 PM

6,942 posts, read 3,028,207 times

Advertisements

Plastic is not bad as long as it is not being used as a consumable. I have plastic in my computer and my truck but those things are not getting thrown away .... at least not for a VERY long time.

Plastics can actually be made without oil through complex organic chemistry. This would be feasible if plastic was only used for critical components and not consumables and consumer grade junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 743 times
I am Plastic Free, or more accurately "Zero Waste" - and actually I like to say Beyond Zero Waste, as I don't use new plastic for absolutely anything that can be avoided.

it's really just a personal decision / commitment and like a friend put it yesterday, a sacrifice we make for doing what is right, not what is easy.

I was close to being plastic free for a year before I fully committed.
So that's the biggest advice: Starting small, but starting somewhere.
For me it started challenging myself to go for 1 months without single use plastics and it just snowballed from there.

The suggestions made have been great.

Some of the most impactful:
1. Shop at farmers markets and oped for fresh foods that aren't pre packaged
2. Bring reusable water bottle, container, cup, cutlery everywhere with you, in your car or purse
3. Reuse produce bags or better get some made out of hemp or make your own from old fabrics
4. Get as many bulk items as possible using your own bags or jars

> You can get VERY VERY far with just the above changes.
And once you are on the path you will start looking and finding alternatives for everything.
Once you start implementing the changes and committing you will find that it is not necessarily as difficult as you first perceived. A lot of it is mental and habit changes.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:20 AM

9,753 posts, read 5,431,389 times
Plastic reduced but free is rather impossible, seeing how I am an arms mistress, a photographer, a diver.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM

8,578 posts, read 8,496,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicindigoventures View Post
I am Plastic Free, or more accurately "Zero Waste" - and actually I like to say Beyond Zero Waste, as I don't use new plastic for absolutely anything that can be avoided.

it's really just a personal decision / commitment and like a friend put it yesterday, a sacrifice we make for doing what is right, not what is easy.

I was close to being plastic free for a year before I fully committed.
So that's the biggest advice: Starting small, but starting somewhere.
For me it started challenging myself to go for 1 months without single use plastics and it just snowballed from there.

The suggestions made have been great.

Some of the most impactful:
1. Shop at farmers markets and oped for fresh foods that aren't pre packaged
2. Bring reusable water bottle, container, cup, cutlery everywhere with you, in your car or purse
3. Reuse produce bags or better get some made out of hemp or make your own from old fabrics
4. Get as many bulk items as possible using your own bags or jars

> You can get VERY VERY far with just the above changes.
And once you are on the path you will start looking and finding alternatives for everything.
Once you start implementing the changes and committing you will find that it is not necessarily as difficult as you first perceived. A lot of it is mental and habit changes.
got one of those new stone computers????

Maybe you really don't know???
click on the room for help..
https://www.polyplastics.com/en/pavi...e/index_t.html

Old 01-22-2019, 05:10 PM

2,769 posts, read 1,035,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicindigoventures View Post

Now, tell us, what exactly has that accomplished in The Great Scheme of Things to improve the world?Nobody here has as yet provided any kind of data showing any actual harm (other than aesthetics) to the planet caused by plastic or even trash in general.

BTW- seeing as it takes at least three days of going without any water at all, why does anyone need any kind a of a container at all for drinks when you're not at home?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
........BTW- seeing as it takes at least three days of going without any water at all, why does anyone need any kind a of a container at all for drinks when you're not at home?

We-ll, when my office replaced the drip coffee maker in the kitchenette with the "K cup", I swore I wasn't going to be part of that practice and started bringing my coffee in from home in a thermos.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We-ll, when my office replaced the drip coffee maker in the kitchenette with the "K cup", I swore I wasn't going to be part of that practice and started bringing my coffee in from home in a thermos.

That reminds me of the REAL story of Jesus stopping the crowd from stoning Mary Magdalene. "Those of you who are without sin shall cast the first stone!" He said, shaking His finger at the crowd....So this little old lady steps forward anyway, and BAM!--right between the eyes with a brick...."Come on, Ma" whines Christ. "I'm tryin' to make a point here."

Old 01-23-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
That reminds me of the REAL story of Jesus stopping the crowd from stoning Mary Magdalene. "Those of you who are without sin shall cast the first stone!" He said, shaking His finger at the crowd....So this little old lady steps forward anyway, and BAM!--right between the eyes with a brick...."Come on, Ma" whines Christ. "I'm tryin' to make a point here."

I'm not sure I understand the relationship.

Anyhow, at the time, I was on night shift and while I contributed to the coffee mess, that sudden move, of walking in and seeing the unit, rather impacted on me as the forgotten drinker.

Long story short.......I grew up drinking coffee by the pot.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I'm not sure I understand the relationship.

My point was that for yrs now, we see all the yuppie types walking around with water bottles. Are they that afraid of dying of dehydration that they can't leave the house for a few hours without one? Obviously there are exceptional situations where a portable fluid container is necessary and you chimed in with one...That doesn't detract from the generality of my original observation.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
My point was that for yrs now, we see all the yuppie types walking around with water bottles. Are they that afraid of dying of dehydration that they can't leave the house for a few hours without one? Obviously there are exceptional situations where a portable fluid container is necessary and you chimed in with one...That doesn't detract from the generality of my original observation.

I don't know for the people I often see with water bottles rode bikes and pumped hard, hence they needed water. I had two or so on my bike, plus my camelbak.

I live in Texas where carrying water is rather a good idea. In fact, I try never to leave the house without one.

Perhaps you live somewhere else where the area is not as arid, the sun is not as bright, and the humidity is not as crippling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or