U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2018, 05:45 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
11,462 posts, read 3,915,845 times
Reputation: 7093

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The doo gooders in big cities are busy taking away lanes from cars and giving them to one in a million bikers but have no qualm running dirty diesel buses all day. Why aren't all city buses electric? That's one segment that hybrid/electric should work nicely.


I agree that all buses should be low emission, as should taxis and indeed eventually all vehicles should be.

Although I am not againt bike lanes or encouraging walking, as that also has wider implcations in relation to fitness and obesity and is also better in terms of air quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2018, 10:43 AM
 
Location: DC
6,512 posts, read 6,437,191 times
Reputation: 3114
Bikers are city residents and have a right to transportation support. I'm a fan of converting entire streets to bike and pedestrian traffic. Fewer cars is the goal. Most of our buses are either natural gas or hybrid electric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
14,590 posts, read 9,653,546 times
Reputation: 12119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Although I am not againt bike lanes or encouraging walking, as that also has wider implcations in relation to fitness and obesity and is also better in terms of air quality.
And utterly unworkable in most climates. I resent when "planners" sitting in corporate penthouses looking down at people deciding how people should live. You'd be crazy to ride those bike lanes on busy city streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,773 posts, read 1,042,529 times
Reputation: 5965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Bikers are city residents and have a right to transportation support. I'm a fan of converting entire streets to bike and pedestrian traffic. Fewer cars is the goal. Most of our buses are either natural gas or hybrid electric.

The old central parts of many European cities are closed to automobile traffic-- more due to practical concerns given the narrowness of the old streets. While our intuitive feeling is that pedestrian only sections might carry some advantage, we tend to ignore the down-side and unintended consequences of social engineering....


....a big part of our traffic problems today stem from engineers & city planners in the 60s & 70s who thought it would be great to build new neighborhoods in the 'burbs with quiet, winding streets for isolated residential areas accessed only by major 4-6 lane arteries that would carry us to shopping & business centers with large parking lots. Now you can't easily/safely walk or bike to get around in most suburbs and the topography doesn't lend itself well to public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 01:16 PM
 
Location: DC
6,512 posts, read 6,437,191 times
Reputation: 3114
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And utterly unworkable in most climates. I resent when "planners" sitting in corporate penthouses looking down at people deciding how people should live. You'd be crazy to ride those bike lanes on busy city streets.
Remove the cars and the streets are fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM
 
Location: DC
6,512 posts, read 6,437,191 times
Reputation: 3114
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The old central parts of many European cities are closed to automobile traffic-- more due to practical concerns given the narrowness of the old streets. While our intuitive feeling is that pedestrian only sections might carry some advantage, we tend to ignore the down-side and unintended consequences of social engineering....


....a big part of our traffic problems today stem from engineers & city planners in the 60s & 70s who thought it would be great to build new neighborhoods in the 'burbs with quiet, winding streets for isolated residential areas accessed only by major 4-6 lane arteries that would carry us to shopping & business centers with large parking lots. Now you can't easily/safely walk or bike to get around in most suburbs and the topography doesn't lend itself well to public transportation.
Which is why many are flocking to the inner cities and abandoning sterile suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 04:11 PM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,773 posts, read 1,042,529 times
Reputation: 5965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Which is why many are flocking to the inner cities and abandoning sterile suburbia.

Here on Planet Earth jobs and singles' bars bring young folks to the city-- not necessarily listed here in order of their priorities. Whether or not they can ride their bicycles to work has little to do with the choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 04:34 PM
 
Location: DC
6,512 posts, read 6,437,191 times
Reputation: 3114
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Here on Planet Earth jobs and singles' bars bring young folks to the city-- not necessarily listed here in order of their priorities. Whether or not they can ride their bicycles to work has little to do with the choice.
You live in fly over country. In urban America, a lot more makes a difference. There are probably more bike commuters in DC than people in your entire county. In close in neighborhoods about 20% of commuters use bikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2018, 08:40 PM
 
6,910 posts, read 3,825,717 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
You live in fly over country. In urban America, a lot more makes a difference. There are probably more bike commuters in DC than people in your entire county. In close in neighborhoods about 20% of commuters use bikes.
Which is why 140,000 bicycles are seen chained to street signs, fences and fire hydrants in Manhattan from nine to five every Monday through Friday, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2018, 04:07 AM
 
Location: The Driftless Area, WI
2,773 posts, read 1,042,529 times
Reputation: 5965
https://bikeleague.org/content/bike-...still-show-way


"In New York City, 1.2 percent of commuters said they usually take a bike most of the way to work, extending a three-year plateau. In Chicago, the estimate was 1.7 percent, the same as in 2014. In Los Angeles: 1.1 percent, statistically flat but the lowest estimate since 2012. Philadelphia again posted 2.2 percent, a rate it first hit in 2009."


And I bet they all moved to the big city just for the opportunity to pedal to work every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top