Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 12:52 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times

Advertisements

Very sad, sobering article. I guess we are done, no way to stop the impending disaster.

Quote:
The Paris climate agreement — the nonbinding, unenforceable and already unheeded treaty signed on Earth Day in 2016 — hoped to restrict warming to two degrees. The odds of succeeding, according to a recent study based on current emissions trends, are one in 20. If by some miracle we are able to limit warming to two degrees, we will only have to negotiate the extinction of the world’s tropical reefs, sea-level rise of several meters and the abandonment of the Persian Gulf. The climate scientist James Hansen has called two-degree warming “a prescription for long-term disaster.” Long-term disaster is now the best-case scenario. Three-degree warming is a prescription for short-term disaster: forests in the Arctic and the loss of most coastal cities. Robert Watson, a former director of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, has argued that three-degree warming is the realistic minimum. Four degrees: Europe in permanent drought; vast areas of China, India and Bangladesh claimed by desert; Polynesia swallowed by the sea; the Colorado River thinned to a trickle; the American Southwest largely uninhabitable. The prospect of a five-degree warming has prompted some of the world’s leading climate scientists to warn of the end of human civilization.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ing-earth.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 03:13 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
I'm at a loss for words. What is the End Date and will Former Sen. Gore be able to sell his Beach House in time to make a profit ?

Old 08-02-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I'm at a loss for words. What is the End Date and will Former Sen. Gore be able to sell his Beach House in time to make a profit ?
Wonder if your descendents (if you have any) will find this as hilarious as you.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:11 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Not to worry, global warming is just a hoax made up by liberals. The 30 year drought in the southwest is just a normal weather pattern.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:32 PM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
To begin with, the Roman Warm Period was at least 4degC warmer than it is now-- no irreversible droughts or die off of flora & fauna. Civilization thrived. (BTW- Julius Caesar, an excellent natural historian who described in detail the novel flora, fauna and geographical features of "Gaul Across the Alps," (Transalpine Gaul) never mentioned glaciers in the Alps-- there weren't any in 54 BC.)

Secondly, over the past 10 yrs, the US is the ONLY country in the world that has reduced its carbon emissions, although all those signatories of the previous climate agreements had agreed to do so.---The Paris Agreement is merely an obligation to shift money from our country to such "underdeveloped nations" like India(?) and China (!!!).

We are no longer that stupid to agree to do such things, and that's why those "allies" of ours are so upset with us-- they're throwing a party and expected us to pay, but now we're not coming.

Those of us who are a little longer in the tooth remember the 60s & 70s, when the climatologists were telling us to brace for the coming ice age. The NY Times, Time, Newsweek, etc wrote extensively about it then 1969 New York Times: Princeton scientists worried that Antarctic ice would start a new ice age | Climate Depot

The value of a scientific theory lies in its ability to predict future results and outcomes. The Theory of Anthropogenic Global Warming is useless, by that standard-- exactly ZERO of its predictions (6deg temp rise, no snow, no glaciers left by 2010, irreversible drought, more & stronger hurricanes & tornadoes etc etc) made in the 90s have failed to materialize. (BTW- the only warming in the last 20 yrs has been within the margin of error-- and it took cheating to get that warming to show up.)

At what point does an intelligent person admit the theory is wrong?

Old 08-02-2018, 05:09 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Wonder if your descendents (if you have any) will find this as hilarious as you.
I did text the link ,and one said " who believes that drivel "? .Well I guess you do Cat.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I did text the link ,and one said " who believes that drivel "? .Well I guess you do Cat.
Yes, I do. It would be fantastic if climate change was total BS. But, based on all the scientific evidence and projected climate change caused weather patterns that were predicted decades ago and are now materializing, I don't see how anyone can deny what is going on.

Guido LaMoto, I was born in the 60's so I am not a spring chicken either. I believe in the scientific consensus on climate change and obviously you don't, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
People will be living in denial all the way till the end. "but it's just a normal weather pattern...." -croaks-
But seriously, it's not like anything can be done about the situation. People got to have their suvs and their 1st world comfort and boredom issues solved, so just enjoy the time we all have left.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:30 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Very sad, sobering article. I guess we are done, no way to stop the impending disaster.
The article is false and misleading.

The previous Inter-Glacial Period was 10.4°F (5.7°C) and the Inter-Glacial Period before that was 7.8°F (4.3°C). During the previous Inter-Glacial Period, the more than 90% of the Greenland Ice-Sheet melted in its entirety.

Of the eight Inter-Glacial Periods recorded before now, those two, plus five others were warmer-than-present, and the 5 others fell into the range 7.8°F and 10.4°F.

The one that did not ended abruptly for unknown reasons, so the length of that Inter-Glacial Period is far shorter than the other seven Inter-Glacial Periods.

Unless this Inter-Glacial Period is cut short, it's perfectly reasonable and logical to assume that average global temperatures will continue to increase naturally, falling into the range 7.8°F to 10.4°F.

There's absolutely nothing you can do about it, so whether man-made "global warming" is real or not, the end result is the same.

You'll just have to learn how to deal with it. Humans during previous Inter-Glacial Periods -- dumb and ignorant as they were -- managed to survive.

It's not my fault you built cities on coastal areas long before you actually had an understanding of how the Earth works.

The claims by Hansen and Watson are false and not based on any scientific evidence. In spite of the fact that 7 of the 8 previous Inter-Glacial Periods were much, much warmer than present, their is no evidence that any part of Europe experienced drought, or that vast areas of China and such were subject to desertification.

For one thing, the rise of sea levels increases the surface areas of oceans and seas, resulting in an increase in the rate of surface water evaporation, which increases the amount of moisture in the air. Many areas of Earth will become wetter, not drier.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:38 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I have no doubt that the world is slowly dying one way or another. I don't think I'll see it, but I worry about my grand-child, future grand-children and future generations.

Left to the plants animals without mankind if we suddenly went extinct from a virus or plague, I think the earth would do fine once again, but it would take a very long time to cleanse and heal itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living