U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:50 PM

132 posts, read 406,503 times

Advertisements

What can we consider for our new house to make it more green ?

- Solar panels (haven't seen these much here - is this a good idea ?)
- Rain barrels to make better use of rain water
- Drought resistant grass for the lawn
- Flourescent lights

Thx for suggestions !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,371,366 times
Make sure your appliances are energy efficient. Including Washer/Dryer. That is probably my next big purchase.

My traditional hot water heater takes forever and a day to deliver hot water to the sinks. I wish I'd gotten a tankless one that provided instant hot water.

Since you are looking into a home theater per your other thread, be aware that a lot of todays electronics can use a lot of power. You might want to look at energy uses there.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,677,825 times
Dont forget to make sure you have proper insulation or if you can work on that part. They have the blankers for hot water heaters that are supposed to help them be more efficient if you do not have a tankless... I wish I had gotten one of those as well

I just bought nice front load washer/dryer that were well priced and work great, all while using less water and energy. Make sure you review all the appliances you buy to see where they are in the range of energy use on the chart.

Not sure about solar panels here, I had them in Miami for the water heater and it was great. Still looking for a rain barrel thats not $100.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,549,348 times
When you replace carpet, get recycled carpet! We did our selections for our new home and one of the choices was recycled "green" carpet (I believe it was Shaw). So we got that.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,985,582 times
if your house is still in construction, you can opt for insulation that is made out of denim (from old jeans) instead of fiberglass.............yes, these things are a bit more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

i would second the tankless water heater, I so wish we had one.

Definitely recycled carpet, or you can opt for flooring that is bamboo, and have it throughout the house.

I have thought about solar panels, and I really think it depends on where you live. I don't think we would get enough sun on our lot. NC State has a great green housing group and has the NC Solar center, which may give you some more information.

Leigh

Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,811,033 times
I don't know if you're talking about new construction or a pre-existing home, but one of the more eco-friendly things you can consider is location. Is your home close to your jobs and other places you go? If you have to drive 20 miles to get to the nearest grocery store, all the compact floros don't really make much of a difference.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM

132 posts, read 406,503 times
Thanks all for the suggestions. It is going to be a new house. Was definitely going to pay attention to the appliance energy star ratings.

Will seriously look at carpets out of recycled material and insulation blanket around the water heater.

Commute/groceries/schools are all within a 10min radius

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM

915 posts, read 3,964,288 times
This board "Green Living" may provide you with some additional ideas. Good luck.

Green Living Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 04-01-2008, 04:24 PM

892 posts, read 2,843,265 times
FYI, tank water heaters newer than 2004 do not require blankets for efficiency.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,976,177 times
Moved from the NC forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living