U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 04:26 PM

49 posts, read 58,030 times

Advertisements

Like say I never use the outlet in front of my condo but its hooked up to the master bedroom outlet to. How would I only cut the outlet for just the front of my condo? Also there are lots of outlets I never use and how do I only cut of certain ones? Like if I need to use it again it will be like I never did anything but if I don't use it I want it to be off until I use it. My energy bill is usually around $150 and its crazy for a condo, well for me atleast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 04:55 PM

14,246 posts, read 44,937,745 times
Disconnecting power outlets that you are not using anyway will not change your power consumption. With this being a condo, maybe you better not mess with the electric system?

The closest thing to practical, to me anyway, would be to put in GCFI outlets, which you could trip individually, this would give you a "dead" outlet where you want one. But it's not going to change your electric bill.

Old 08-22-2018, 04:57 PM

9,915 posts, read 8,186,399 times
If nothing is plugged in then no electricity is being used.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:08 PM

49 posts, read 58,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Disconnecting power outlets that you are not using anyway will not change your power consumption. With this being a condo, maybe you better not mess with the electric system?

The closest thing to practical, to me anyway, would be to put in GCFI outlets, which you could trip individually, this would give you a "dead" outlet where you want one. But it's not going to change your electric bill.
I am just trying to look for ways to reduce my energy usage so I don't pay to high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If nothing is plugged in then no electricity is being used.
It is still being used still because there is current being drawn even though nothing is plugged into it, other wise how am I getting power and instant power. I won't get instant power if I cut it of from the circuit box but the thing bout that is my circuit box that is connected to that outlet is also connected to the master bd outlet which makes no sense to me.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:52 PM

39,495 posts, read 40,814,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I am just trying to look for ways to reduce my energy usage so I don't pay to high.

It is still being used still because there is current being drawn even though nothing is plugged into it, other wise how am I getting power and instant power.

To draw power you need to plug something into it to complete the circuit.

Quote:
that is connected to that outlet is also connected to the master bd outlet which makes no sense to me.
Because that is the way you run wiring unless you want it to be extraordinarily expensive and wasteful. If you don't want to believe what is being told to you go to the breaker box and turn off every circuit except the bedroom one. Go to your bedroom and unplug anything that might consume power; clock radio, TV etc. You can leave any lights with switches alone.

Go out to your meter and it should be registering no power consumption.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:56 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,642,484 times
Your big power users are usually your electric water heater and central air (this time of the year).

Old 08-22-2018, 09:19 PM

9,915 posts, read 8,186,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post

It is still being used still because there is current being drawn even though nothing is plugged into it, other wise how am I getting power and instant power. I won't get instant power if I cut it of from the circuit box but the thing bout that is my circuit box that is connected to that outlet is also connected to the master bd outlet which makes no sense to me.
AC or alternating current needs a connection to close the circuit to allow electricity to flow. With nothing plugged into the socket there is no electrical flow. While the hot wire has electricity, it requires a connection to the dead leg to allow flow.

If you want to reduce your electricity use, there are less invasive methods. Changing out lights with LED bulbs, changing thermostat (settings and or type of thermostat), change water heater thermostat setting, and change refrigerator thermostat setting. I work rotating shifts so I donít bother with a programmable thermostat nor smart thermostat. Wife stays home all the time due to health. We use an automatic thermostat. Certain times of the year the AC will run in the day and the heat will run in the evening. Set the heat no less than 3 degrees below the AC. If the temp drops a degree below the heat setting then it will switch from cool to heat and only heat enough to warm the home by one degree. If the home temp rises one degree above cool setting then it will switch from heat to cool and cool the home by one degree to maintain cool settings.

Buy a refrigerator thermometer and use it to adjust your refrigerator thermostat for minimum food safe range. Be sure to clean the refrigerator coils on a regular basis.

Use a thermometer to test hot water temperature. Adjust your water heater thermostat to the lowest hot water setting your comfortable with. 120 is usually a good number. You can also wrap the water heater in a thermal water heater blanket for further energy savings.

Keep the inside of the clothes dryer clean and vents clear. Use a model with a humidity sensor to shut off the dryer when the clothes are dry. It works relatively well for most loads. Wash clothes in cold water.

Iíve installed heat reflective window tint and special blinds and drapes to reduce heat transfer from windows. Iíve bought and installed light switch and electrical outlet cover insulation pads to reduce heat exchange through light switches and electrical outlets.

I live in south Louisiana and my last electrical bill was $95 with AC set for 73 and the home is an all electric mobile home with no shade and nearly 20 years old.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,930,294 times
If you must .... the answer to "how do I" is "call in a professional electrician and save your life.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,006,816 times
Don't do this. You've been told by multiple other posters that it won't save you any money, and unless you are planning on dying in place, it will DEFINITELY reduce the value of your condo when you want to sell. Frankly I wouldn't even look at a place where someone had gone in and removed or cut off outlets.

And given the lack of knowledge you are showing, seems likely you are liable to kill yourself trying it.

Power does NOT run through wiring unless there is a load somewhere. If that load is downstream of your outlets, you will just cut off power to that load. If you ARE using another outlet somewhere downstream of an outlet you think you don't need, removing the outlet you are not using will cut off power to the outlet or lights that you were using.

If there is nothing downstream of the outlet you plan to remove, then no power runs through those lines anyway. There is absolutely no reason to remove outlets thinking you're going to save money. You won't.

Think of it as if it were a water faucet. As long as you keep the spigot closed, no water flows. Water will only flow if you turn the spigot on. Plugging something into that outlet is like turning a spigot on. As long as you don't plug anything in to it, no current flows.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:08 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,338,645 times
Unused outlets do not draw power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living