Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 09:42 PM

23,258 posts, read 18,764,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Gooey, smelly compost bins crawling with worms is where I draw the line. The earth doesn't need that much help.
Then why on earth do you even bother? That "gooey, smelly bins crawling with worms"is exactly what composting is trying to achieve! The whole point! So you can't handle living processes? Maybe you need to empty it or turn the contents more frequently. There are also odor-reducing cans with filters to help with the odor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2018, 02:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We like most other families have a recycling can and a trash can inside the house. The other day I was thinking what is the harm of tossing some orange peels or other perfectly harmless "trash" in the recyling bin? Would it hasten the end of the world you think?

It won't hasten the end of the world but it isn't harmless to your own economy, it's sabotage of your own self. In the long run any harm would be to your wallet because it will cost you and everyone else more money if you're obstructing and interfering with recycling efforts. If you don't do gardening and don't have a composting facility for organics then put your organic trash in your trash bin so it will go to the landfill.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:00 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Actually, many centers are now using the single-stream recycling technique-- you've seen the films of workers picking thru the trash moving along a conveyor belt. The unusable stuff, including stuff that shouldn't have made it into the bin at the house, will find its way to the landfill. The occasional misplaced piece of trash is no problem.

Old 10-19-2018, 05:15 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
Imagine a city with 17 million trees, all of which shed their leaves every fall.......My home city, Toronto.

No burning of anything is allowed.......So the city collect the leaves, puts them onto large open city land areas and turns it into mulch, which is distributed the next spring for FREE to any home owner that wants really good fertiliser. Added to that annual leaf collection are the every two week composting collections that each home puts out for pick up. Yard waste, vegetable scraps, food waste, animal waste, and any other organic materials.....all go into the green bin that is picked up every second week.

Composting is a way of life here.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:54 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
Imagine a city with 17 million trees, all of which shed their leaves every fall.......My home city, Toronto.

No burning of anything is allowed.......So the city collect the leaves, puts them onto large open city land areas and turns it into mulch, which is distributed the next spring for FREE to any home owner that wants really good fertiliser. Added to that annual leaf collection are the every two week composting collections that each home puts out for pick up. Yard waste, vegetable scraps, food waste, animal waste, and any other organic materials.....all go into the green bin that is picked up every second week.

Composting is a way of life here.
I think this is wonderful! Wish we'd do it where I live.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:40 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You have to think of actions in terms of magnitude....one family putting occasional orange peels in recycling=no effect. Ten million families not separating organic biodegradable discards from recycling might create material that is less usable or costs too much to clean and prepare for re-use. So, even less market than there is now.
^^^^This.

Our actions are truly never singlular. Thought should always be given to our actions times millions. There’s a museum in DC designed by Pei. There’s wear and defacement occurring from countless people coming up and rubbing and touching it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2007/1...ional-gallery/

Last edited by LesLucid; 10-19-2018 at 07:51 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
^^^^This.

Our actions are truly never singlular. Thought should always be given to our actions times millions. There’s a museum in DC designed by Pei. There’s wear and defacement occurring from countless people coming up and rubbing and touching it.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2007/1...ional-gallery/
That was interesting! I noticed this at St. Mark's square in Venice, where the bronze replicas of the 4 horses are outside (originals are protected inside), with just one hoof within reach of tourists. Like everyone else, I went to touch it, and found it rubbed smooth from all those before me. The rest of the sculpture was dirty and rough, LOL.

Back to the OP; I once put some juicing scraps on the beach for the incessantly prowling sea gulls---figuring they eat everything. Not one touched it and I felt guilty until the tide came up and removed it.

I don't think there is any recycling here, and that is really too bad. Lots of plastic washes up on shore.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Seems like a bizarre thought. As others already pointed out already an orange peel isn't "recyclable" but it is compostable.
I guess my wonder is why anyone would even consider intentionally putting something in the recycling bin that doesn't have a chance of being recycled.

On a side note where I live we have single stream recycling. In the case of glass, by mixing colors it has reduced the value to the point our city no longer sends it to a recycling facility. Instead it gets ground up and sprinkled on the roads at the landfill to cut down dust.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:38 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post

On a side note where I live we have single stream recycling. In the case of glass, by mixing colors it has reduced the value to the point our city no longer sends it to a recycling facility. Instead it gets ground up and sprinkled on the roads at the landfill to cut down dust.
That's a good idea, turned back into sand and used as such.

Old 10-19-2018, 02:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I used to try to recycle until I found that my town collected the recyclable items and took them straight to the dump, same place they took the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living