Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 09:57 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

We like most other families have a recycling can and a trash can inside the house. The other day I was thinking what is the harm of tossing some orange peels or other perfectly harmless "trash" in the recyling bin? Would it hasten the end of the world you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 12:58 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
I wouldn't worry about it: https://www.investors.com/politics/e...lobal-warming/

Summary of article--

Hi cost, low environmental benefit, excess supply and decreasing demand for recycled material and a high portion of it winds up in the landfill anyway. But then, landfills aren't really a problem in the first place.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
It's just as easy and better for everyone to toss it into a composting bin.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:05 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
We like most other families have a recycling can and a trash can inside the house. The other day I was thinking what is the harm of tossing some orange peels or other perfectly harmless "trash" in the recyling bin? Would it hasten the end of the world you think?
You have to think of actions in terms of magnitude....one family putting occasional orange peels in recycling=no effect. Ten million families not separating organic biodegradable discards from recycling might create material that is less usable or costs too much to clean and prepare for re-use. So, even less market than there is now.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-18-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post

That's what we do. Eventually you just have dirt. Really good dirt.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Gooey, smelly compost bins crawling with worms is where I draw the line. The earth doesn't need that much help.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Quote:
Gooey, smelly compost bins crawling with worms is where I draw the line. The earth doesn't need that much help.
To be honest, I find composting a bit intimidating myself. So I rip some stuff into little pieces and throw it into the yard. if I'm feeling ambitious (e.g., if we have a big get-together with lots of food), I collect a bunch and bring it to our local citizen convenience center which does composting (and then gives it away free)!

Ah, but vermiculture is a totally different thing. I HATE HATE HATE worms, but the vermi-worms are actually teeny and cute and not at all stinky.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:09 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,669,591 times
Quote:
LOL - No, I don't think it would "hasten the end of the world." What it would do, is cause problems for the recycling centers. They don't and can't recycle orange peels or other similar "harmless trash." They recycle things that can be broken down and used again. Orange peels and the like will cause them to have to go through needless trouble trying to pick those things out from the items that are actually recyclable. Or possibly doing that could cause them to not even bother to recycle your items and instead, they all end up in a landfill.

Why would you want to do that? The only items that you should put in your recycle bin are items that can actually be recycled.

I have a lake in my backyard and all edible waste gets tossed into the lake, where the turtles, frogs, fish and other living creatures can eat them or they decompose naturally. I hate waste and I hate adding to landfills if I can possibly avoid doing that.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 PM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
China is no longer accepting recycling from us and the U.S. companies that stepped in are now imposing penalties for processing of recycling that has too many contaminants. In my city, they have said we are not going to stop recycling so it's just going to cost more if we can't get people to cooperate. I'm sure other cities will simply discontinue.

In short, orange peels matter.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:56 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't understand why someone would even think to throw orange peels into recyclable items to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living