U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:26 AM

1,628 posts, read 5,899,176 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do think you should be ashamed of yourself. You can take some very simple steps and make quite a difference. It's sad that some people won't do anything without a law requiring it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
I do believe it is a good thing for a nation to be conscious of this issue and to partake in it. But i dont think much of a difference will be made until the Government makes it mandatory to follow GreenLiving guidelines . I dont seperate out the plastic from the aluminum cans from the paper with my trash..and frankly..i would find it a bother to do so. I guess im one of those lax folks that would only comply if it were law. Should i be ashamed of myself ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 01:26 PM

59 posts, read 171,786 times
Yes, nothing bad was happening to the atmosphere prior to Jan, 2001.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

4,730 posts, read 17,799,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaman View Post
Yes, nothing bad was happening to the atmosphere prior to Jan, 2001.
No, but a lot of hot air has since entered the environement

Old 04-09-2008, 07:16 PM

59 posts, read 171,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
No, but a lot of hot air has since entered the environement
It's been that way ever since politicians could get behind a microphone or in front of a camera.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,441,764 times
I'm lax in some areas, but in general I try to be conservative in my use of resources. Its smart both financially and in helping to keep the air and water clean.

As for carbon footprint, I don't care. At all. I'm not aboard the "going green" bandwagon with the absurd notion that I'm somehow saving the planet. I've been aboard the "conserve" bandwagon for a long time because I know how polluted our air and water are and want to do my part to not add even more to it.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,473,130 times
I am hoarding incandescent light bulbs. I refuse to use those so called energy saving light bulbs. They cast an awful light.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:12 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,636,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I am hoarding incandescent light bulbs. I refuse to use those so called energy saving light bulbs. They cast an awful light.
I've been stocking up on them too. While these new energy saver bulbs are OK for outside use where they may be on all night, I don't like the warm-up time for them in the house. I hear that they are going to be forced to discontinue incandescent light bulbs in a few years. I'll have enough to last the rest of my life.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,859,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I've found that it depends on the bulb and am still trying to figure it out. I bought some that said "daylight" and they're hideous. We put them in a ceiling light fixture and joked that we could do surgery under them. Others have a warmer light and are much better. So, don't give up on them.

I'm still more worried about the mercury and the disposal of them than anything else.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:37 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,494,132 times
I don't recycle & I couldn't care less about a carbon footprint. The Earth is going through a natural cycle of climatic change. If it wipes all of us out so be it.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:59 AM

212 posts, read 871,835 times
Default So be it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I don't recycle & I couldn't care less about a carbon footprint. The Earth is going through a natural cycle of climatic change. If it wipes all of us out so be it.
I guess you don't have children and care only about yourself. If everyone lived with your philosophy, this would be a very sad world.

You are in the minority. Most of us care about leaving the world a better place. We read, we think about important issues, we vote, we care about others, and we don't just brush off global warming as an insignificant 'natural cycle'.

You are obviously the product of bad parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living