U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 06:53 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
I love that riveree. I guess we have to make it cool for kids to pay attention...sigh.
Most kids don't even turn of lights in their house or room when they leave the room. I have friends with kids and this seems to be a problem with younger people. I guess it's because they aren't paying for the electricity, someone else (their parents) are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:14 PM

3,871 posts, read 15,512,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Most kids don't even turn of lights in their house or room when they leave the room. I have friends with kids and this seems to be a problem with younger people. I guess it's because they aren't paying for the electricity, someone else (their parents) are.
Perhaps -- since the human brain, particularly the part that can imagine consequences, doesn't finish forming until age 22, so children, teenagers and college students simply can't conceptualize consequences and long-term effects of behavor.
But I think it's more likely because the parents haven't required the kids to turn off the lights. Parents are the ones who set the tone in home life.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:58 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,453,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Perhaps -- since the human brain, particularly the part that can imagine consequences, doesn't finish forming until age 22, so children, teenagers and college students simply can't conceptualize consequences and long-term effects of behavor.
But I think it's more likely because the parents haven't required the kids to turn off the lights. Parents are the ones who set the tone in home life.
I think most parents have to keep reminding their kids to turn off the light when they leave a room. I doubt that will ever change. The parents are spending all the extra money to "go green."

Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM

28,240 posts, read 39,890,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I think most parents have to keep reminding their kids to turn off the light when they leave a room. I doubt that will ever change. The parents are spending all the extra money to "go green."
Infrared light switch. No body heat, no light.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:14 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,453,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Infrared light switch. No body heat, no light.
It would have be extremely sensitive to pick up body temps. A motion sensor would work too. I already have a few in my house.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:08 AM

3,517 posts, read 12,050,963 times
There are a lot of little habits we can all do that just aren't that hard. I've been recycling what I can for years and found that I have so little landfill trash that it was a huge waste of money to pay for garbage pickup. 2-3 times a year to the dump for that and it saves me a few hundred dollars a year. I put my kitchen waste (non-animal) in the garden to compost. If you space is smaller, there are lots of other ways to compost it without any problems. I do put the animal waste into a garbage can somewhere. It keeps the house cleaner not to have garbage rotting in a can - better for me, better for the environment. I only use vinegar, baking soda, dish soap, borax to clean with. Much easier on me and the environment plus it is cheap and works better. The list goes on and on. Most of the impact things aren't even easy and they are expensive. We just buy into the advertising and it controls our lives to our detriment.

The little things add up. Even pouring water that would be wasted into a watering can is easy. Then I don't have to wait to fill the can - just water the houseplants when it is full. It actually gets the houseplants watered more regularly.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:07 PM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I never wanted to live piggishly, whether thinking of the planet in general or of future generations (who might then live piggishly). It's like littering. It just seems plain incorrect.
I have absolutely been against consumerism where you judge yourself and/or others by stuff or clothes or cars or other purchases.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:56 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,018,212 times
We try to do our best on a daily basis.

I am disabled though and unfortunately driving is pretty much my only option to get around and hybrid cars are still too expensive for us. We also fly once or twice a year to our holidays which mean we can never be classified as green.

However we try to waste as little of everything as possible, have considerable reduced our use of everything we use, we try to only buy local if possible at all, do not go in for fashion or trends , are not into consumerism at all, recycle pretty much everything.

We recharge the vast majority of our batteries, everything we discard either goes to charity shops so they can re-condition them and sell them, or take them apart to recycle the vast majority. We use low energy light bulbs, avoid chemicals if possible ( cleaning products, cosmetics, toiletries etc...). We use a green energy supplier. Our garden , shed and garage lights are solar powered and we are looking into solar panels for the roof when we can afford them. I will never buy a new CD/DVD/Book again unless I can help it. A lot of our consumer desires and needs can be addressed by buying second hand and Ebay and Amazon are amazing for that.

We are also looking into using local bio-diesel produced from recycled cooking oils by a local company. We buy fair-trade and ethical products if we can. We compost all our food waste.

We do home exchanges on all our holidays so nobody needs to destroy the environment to build resorts or cruise ships for us. We also exchange cars so no need for brand new fleets of rental cars either. When on holiday we use local shops, not touristy ones and shopping in local markets and even supermarkets become good fun.

We are also active members of Greenpeace and lobby our government to change policies to greener ones.

Being green or greener is not about buying into a new trend. We have been doing this all our lives pretty much. It's just about common sense, not wasting and trying to inflict as little damage as we can on the planet. It's not about sacrifice. I personally do not feel hard done by our consumer choices. We eat well, still travel and have a nice home and garden. We do not go around in rags and live in a derelict home, wearing hemp and sandals.

It's just about good stewardship and good husbandry. We are by no means "green nuts" but do what we can and it's amazing exactly how much we can do without having to do without.

It has always seemed very silly and short sighted to me, even as a child to bite the hand that feeds us. In the end WE will suffer the consequences, the Planet is strong enough to eventually deal with whatever we throw at it. But we can't. We need the planet and the environment far more than it needs us.

Nobody needs big gas guzzlers, business trips by plane are an outdated idea in a generation of the best communications, such as video conferencing. Nobody needs the latest, trendiest electronics/fashions etc... Waste is just wrong, green or not. It just makes no sense.

We need to learn to be better , more informed consumers and to behave responsibly wherever we can.

Reduce
Re-use
Recycle

And as the saying goes : Think Global, Act local !

There has never been so many choices and so many easy ways to do your bit so there is little excuse really.

We had to get rid of an electric sander yesterday and we for the first time were able to use the recycling facility offered by electric retailers who will now take back appliances and recycle them for you ( as demanded of them by the new government rules).

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 04-13-2008 at 06:14 AM..

Old 04-13-2008, 09:11 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,056,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

It's just about common sense, not wasting and trying to inflict as little damage as we can on the planet. It's not about sacrifice....

...as the saying goes : Think Global, Act local !
That is so true - no-one would disagree that we should be kind to people, especially the vulnerable - animals, children, the elderly, and to be considerate, help others etc. It's the same with the planet - just be considerate, it's basic common sense.

You don't have to be the Mother Teresa of recycling, but you should do as much as you can.

It all adds up.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,322,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
I do believe it is a good thing for a nation to be conscious of this issue and to partake in it. But i dont think much of a difference will be made until the Government makes it mandatory to follow GreenLiving guidelines . I dont seperate out the plastic from the aluminum cans from the paper with my trash..and frankly..i would find it a bother to do so. I guess im one of those lax folks that would only comply if it were law. Should i be ashamed of myself ?
I'm not what you would call an environmental activist or as one poster put it, a "green nut". Frankly, I was one of those who thought bigger and faster is better. I used to live to excess. I even ridiculed the Green movement and Greenpeace. Now, it seems the chickens are coming home to roost. Who's laughing now?

I've not only downsized and simplified my living, I've become more and more "green" aware. This was not prompted by "law", but being cognizant and aware that how I live today can have either a positive or negative impact on the earth and it's future generations. We shouldn't need a law or mandate to force us to change our way of living. Our love for our surroundings should be the impetus.

I've made little changes such as walking, using public transit and not driving when I don't have to. Frankly, if I could ditch my car, I would. Unfortunately, it's an evil necessity for now. My SO and myself don't live in a huge house and do our best not to run the dryer much.

I think if every person just did one thing, be it recycling, using a green product, etc., it would make a big difference.

Being "Green" is not a trend or fad, but something that is in our hands to help save the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living