U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:22 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,884,745 times

Advertisements

HighPlainsDrifter73 wrote:
Also, in all my dealings in the business world, price goes down when you buy larger quantities of any product. I've never heard of the unit price increasing as you purchase more of an item. That it totally arse backwards to me.

Yes, and this is a B-I-G cause of extravagant consumption.

I very much believe in individual choice and would die to protect it.
I also believe in individual choice, but not so sure I'd be willing to die for it. I'd have to give that some serious thought if it ever comes around to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,946,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
You guys want to know when I will go green? When the Indians and the Chinese do.
The Indians and the Chinese are already greener than us. I think we would all cheer if you could reduce your overall impact on the planet to that of an average Indian or Chinese.

Image:Highlight Findings of the WA S0E 2007 report .gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even travelling to the 1st world in Asia is an eye-opener. Countries such as Taiwan and Japan are exceedingly and embarrassingly efficient compared to the United States, and it shows in everyday life.

Quote:
I very much believe in individual choice and would die to protect it.
But you won't pay a little more money for it?

Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,634,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
The Indians and the Chinese are already greener than us. I think we would all cheer if you could reduce your overall impact on the planet to that of an average Indian or Chinese.

Image:Highlight Findings of the WA S0E 2007 report .gif - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even travelling to the 1st world in Asia is an eye-opener. Countries such as Taiwan and Japan are exceedingly and embarrassingly efficient compared to the United States, and it shows in everyday life.

But you won't pay a little more money for it?
The Indians and Chinese are greener than us because they do not have the standard of living that the West has. Would you like to live like the average Chinese peasant to be as green as them? I won't. The vast majority of Chinese do not live like they portray on TV in modern cities.

Yes, I would pay a little bit more for energy, but not monopoly profits because of a lack of competition in the oil industry. I draw the line if the money goes only to the oil companies as increased profits with no additional exploration or building of refineries. If it's going to line the CEO's pocket, I'll have a problem with that. If more money goes to drilling more oil wells, I'm OK with that. It's expensive and risky to drill for oil. But, if they do strike a big pocket of oil, I would expect the oil to be sold at a fair price. Reasonable profits to reward risk taking, but no gouging of the motorist like we're experiencing now.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
The Indians and Chinese are greener than us because they do not have the standard of living that the West has. Would you like to live like the average Chinese peasant to be as green as them? I won't. The vast majority of Chinese do not live like they portray on TV in modern cities.
That's true. However, the Japanese, Norwegians, and about 22 other countrys' citizens are "greener" than us, and they have a higher standard of living. Check the link and look at the US's position on the scale of human development along the horizontal. The only country "worse" than us--bigger per-capita polluters and lower on the human developement scale--is the UAE.

We don't all have to live like people in Sierra Leone to reduce our environmental impact, but we do need to change our ways to emulate more-environmentally-responsible and more-developed societies.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:50 AM

I don't think anyone is expecting you or any other american citizen to live like a chinese peasant unless someone chooses to do so. Do however ask yourself if you might be consuming more than your fair share of unrenewable resources. Your answer is the only one that matters in regard to whether or not you will participate in living a greener lifestyle. As John Lennon once sang, I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,872,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I am hoarding incandescent light bulbs. I refuse to use those so called energy saving light bulbs. They cast an awful light.
Thank God I'm normal. Somebody thinks the same way as I do!

The light they cast in my house makes me feel as if I'm in some cheap motel out in BFE. It's garish.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:14 PM

212 posts, read 871,495 times
Default Do you have children or grandchildren?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Thank God I'm normal. Somebody thinks the same way as I do!

The light they cast in my house makes me feel as if I'm in some cheap motel out in BFE. It's garish.
My suggestion is to get used to the bulbs Moderator cut: edit. It's just one tiny step; we all need to make these changes if we want to leave the world a better place for our children.

Global climate disruption will change our lives.....there is no doubt about it. If you are not willing to sacrifice the color of lightbulbs, you are selfish. I suppose you're not willing to drive fewer miles or turn off your a/c, either.

I would happily live without lightbulbs to insure a clean, healthy environment for the children of the world.

Last edited by riveree; 05-04-2008 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: careful of tone please

Old 04-25-2008, 03:32 PM

Putting a shade, smoked glass, or a paper lantern over/around CFL bulbs can soften their light.

It's just photons/EM waves. The color is easy to change or filter.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:01 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,463,965 times
I just love this concept. Now whenever my husband sees something he wants to buy, I just say, "No, we're going green." LOL I did buy one of those cute little permanent grocery bags, now I have to remember to bring it into the store. Like Kermit said, "It's not easy being green."

Old 04-27-2008, 04:10 PM

zonababe wrote:
I did buy one of those cute little permanent grocery bags, now I have to remember to bring it into the store.
You got that right! My wife and I usually do the grocery shopping together at a store requiring that you bring your own bags. This past week however, she wasn't feeling well so I did the shopping myself. She usually takes care of bringing the bags, so the thought of bringing bags never entered my mind. We are now the proud owners of 2 additional re-usable cloth bags which I will keep in my car to account for my forgetfulness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living