U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

545 posts, read 1,799,937 times

Advertisements

I do believe it is a good thing for a nation to be conscious of this issue and to partake in it. But i dont think much of a difference will be made until the Government makes it mandatory to follow GreenLiving guidelines . I dont seperate out the plastic from the aluminum cans from the paper with my trash..and frankly..i would find it a bother to do so. I guess im one of those lax folks that would only comply if it were law. Should i be ashamed of myself ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,647 times
He... is not too late anyway, a little concern to our nature will create a big help to reduce the problem in waste management.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:46 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,212,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
I do believe it is a good thing for a nation to be conscious of this issue and to partake in it. But i dont think much of a difference will be made until the Government makes it mandatory to follow GreenLiving guidelines . I dont seperate out the plastic from the aluminum cans from the paper with my trash..and frankly..i would find it a bother to do so. I guess im one of those lax folks that would only comply if it were law. Should i be ashamed of myself ?
In my city, we're not required to separate the recycling - we put it all in one bin and it is separated at the recycling center.

If your city requires you to separate, then you need to do it because that means they don't have the resources in place to do it for you later.

I don't think shame fits into the picture, but I do think that once you have the knowledge then you have an obligation to act accordingly. It doesn't have to happen overnight, but making incremental changes will add up and you will make a difference .

Old 04-09-2008, 04:15 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,028 times
I would never classify myself as green, but the one thing I do is separate out my recyclables from the regular garbage. I've actually have friends that ridicule me for doing this and call me a sucker.

However, most of the rest of my life is full throttle. I like pleasure driving and long road trips with gas guzzler vehicles and live in a large house. I drive to work alone with a 90 mile round trip. While gas and diesel are high priced, it hasn't really changed my lifestyle any.

Why I separate out my garbage but everything else in my life uses lots of energy, I'll never be able to explain.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:01 AM

212 posts, read 870,972 times
Default Bragging about your mammoth carbon footprint?

Bragging about your high carbon lifestyle doesn't impress me. The reality is that our climate is changing because of high-carbon lifestyles. According to the top scientists (who are being ignored by this administration and whose studies are being re-written by oil company lobbyists) we have only a few years to make enormous reductions in our GHG emissions. Since we're obviously not doing this, I have little hope for our kids' futures.

When our grandchildren are in charge of running the world, they will be very angry that this generation ignored the warning signs (where's the ice and snow in the Alps? What happened to the snows of Kilimanjaro? Summer ice in the Arctic is almost gone....an Antarctic ice shelf the size of Ireland fell into the ocean last month......tropical diseases and insects are creeping northward.....drought and wildfires are ever-present.......the Gulf of Mexico is the hottest it's ever been this early in the year.....etc, etc).

Recycling is one tiny step. We all have to start reducing our carbon footprints. The next administration will mandate either a carbon tax or cap & trade on carbon. Only then will we see changes. It may be too little, too late, for our grandchildren. They will have a huge mess to deal with. Very sad, because why are we here on Earth other than to leave it better for our future generations?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,055,421 times
The numbers speak for themselves - you are one of the six billion on the planet. There are 300 million in the USA, and 750 million in Europe. Multiply the small recycling efforts you could make by those numbers, and imagine the difference it would make if everyone did something - even something small. As you recycle one soda can - just imagine everyone doing it (or not doing it, and imagine a billion extra cans a day in landfill).

Look at some of the scary stats
  • Americans throw away enough aluminum cans to rebuild our commercial air fleet EVERY THREE MONTHS.
  • Americans throw away enough iron and steel to supply all our nation's automakers EVERY DAY.
See here for more stats. Clean Air Council | Waste Reduction & Recycling Program

Metal is ENDLESSLY recyclable.
recycling metals - aluminium and steel (http://www.wasteonline.org.uk/resources/InformationSheets/metals.htm#1 - broken link)
  • Recycling 1kg of aluminium saves up to 6kg of bauxite, 4kg of chemical products and 14 kWh of electricity.
  • One recycled aluminium can saves enough energy to run a television for three hours
Any more reasons needed to do just a little bit more?

Last edited by southdown; 04-09-2008 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM

545 posts, read 1,799,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedaly View Post
Bragging about your high carbon lifestyle doesn't impress me. The reality is that our climate is changing because of high-carbon lifestyles. According to the top scientists (who are being ignored by this administration and whose studies are being re-written by oil company lobbyists) we have only a few years to make enormous reductions in our GHG emissions. Since we're obviously not doing this, I have little hope for our kids' futures.

When our grandchildren are in charge of running the world, they will be very angry that this generation ignored the warning signs (where's the ice and snow in the Alps? What happened to the snows of Kilimanjaro? Summer ice in the Arctic is almost gone....an Antarctic ice shelf the size of Ireland fell into the ocean last month......tropical diseases and insects are creeping northward.....drought and wildfires are ever-present.......the Gulf of Mexico is the hottest it's ever been this early in the year.....etc, etc).

Recycling is one tiny step. We all have to start reducing our carbon footprints. The next administration will mandate either a carbon tax or cap & trade on carbon. Only then will we see changes. It may be too little, too late, for our grandchildren. They will have a huge mess to deal with. Very sad, because why are we here on Earth other than to leave it better for our future generations?
REPLY: Ive heard that just ONE major Volcano eruption equals approx. 100 years worth of harmful ozone emissions produced by humans and thier cars ; just think how many Volcano eruptions there are per day around the world . I think that puts into persepective what humans are contributing.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 27,872 times
I don't think you should be ashamed of yourself, however, why think that you need the government to tell you what is your responsibility? The government doesn't mandate that we brush our teeth every day, but most people do it. It is a habit for most of us. Brushing your teeth could be considered a bother, like you described sorting your trash, but we do it almost automatically.

Once you get into the habit of sorting your trash or bringing your own bag to the grocery store, it is as easy as brushing your teeth. And it feels really good to know you are making a difference.

According to Washington-based think tank Worldwatch Institute, the average American uses more than 330 plactic bags a year. Those bags can take from 400 to 1000 years to break down. Just a small action like bringing your own bag to shop can have a big impact!

Old 04-09-2008, 10:54 AM

4,730 posts, read 17,786,460 times
I tell people just to start with something small...maybe just newspapers to begin with and then add to it as you go.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM

212 posts, read 870,972 times
Default Brushing teeth vs. burning fossil fuels

Awakentransform: That is an illogical argument. Of course the government can't tell you to brush your teeth and they should not. The cleanliness of your teeth doesn't matter to anyone but you (and the person you kiss).

BUT, when you contribute greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, it affects every living being on this planet. It iIS the responsibility of the government to make sure that our air is clean and our water is safe to drink and our food is not contaminated and our bridges are safe to drive on, etc. That is what the government should be doing, but this administration is destroying our atmosphere.

So, yes, a person should be ashamed of how their use of fossil fuels is damaging the atmosphere. Big time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living