Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 05:02 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times

Advertisements

I live in southern Portugal in a not particularly good agricultural area, but with some small orange groves. There is one small local honey producer, who makes rosemary honey and orange blossom honey. He is well stocked with these plants on the land around him, and there seems to be the usual amount of his honey in the stores.

However, I eat at a cafe set in an area of wild, seaside meadows with an abundance of flowers. It used to be very annoying to eat at this cafe in the spring and summer because of the bees. They were out there in great numbers. For the past three years, at least, there are close to none over the entire season. And yet the plants are the same and there is no agricultural spraying in the area. Puzzling, but I guess it must be a disease in their case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I just finished a work study job with one of America's bee experts and even she doesn't know the exact reason. More than likely it is a combination of different things - changes in plant bloom times from climate change, pesticide use, invasive species, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
I have concluded that the bees simply can't fly fast enough to keep up with us as we hurtle through space.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:48 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Ok I'm very sorry but this summer has been ridiculous with bees. Every time I lay outside I'm getting swarmed and the deck is covered with bees nests already.

I'm not sure where this bee shortage is, but I really wish it was at my house.
Are you talking about those little hornets? I think the problem is the honey bee and bumble bees that are disappearing. I used to see at least 10 of those big, fat bumble bees around my backyard with all my flowers and shrubs ect. Now I'm lucky if I see one all summer. Somehow these plants are still being pollinated so I don't know how big a problem this is.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Just to update the hysterical and phobic here who want to blame GMO crops, pesticides and mankind for the killing off of bee's worldwide.......

Honeybee virus: Varroa mite spreads lethal disease

Quote:
A parasitic mite has helped a virus wipe out billions of honeybees throughout the globe, say scientists.

A team studying honeybees in Hawaii found that the Varroa mite helped spread a particularly nasty strain of a disease called deformed wing virus.

The mites act as tiny incubators of one deadly form of the disease, and inject it directly into the bees' blood.

This has led to "one of the most widely-distributed and contagious insect viruses on the planet".
BBC Nature - Honeybee virus: Varroa mite spreads lethal disease

Old 06-07-2012, 06:20 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just to update the hysterical and phobic here who want to blame GMO crops, pesticides and mankind for the killing off of bee's worldwide.......
Among the many vectors that are currently stressing honey bees, the Varroa mite and the Tracheal mite, do both present problems.

Along with each of the other vectors.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Among the many vectors that are currently stressing honey bees, the Varroa mite and the Tracheal mite, do both present problems.

Along with each of the other vectors.
Following this thread I see no accredited concrete proof most of the allegations posted here are anything other than accusations, fear and tree hugger lawsuits that haven't been ruled on yet....

Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Following this thread I see no accredited concrete proof ...
You see no proof that CCD exists?

I am a bee keeper.

Every honeybee workshop I have attended for the past five years, has focused [to some extent] on this problem.

Every beekeeper magazine, every USDA sponsored conference, each state beekeeper's association meetings; all of these have articles, speaking topics and discussions on tracking the losses of hives, and the research going on to isolate the causes.

" ... allegations ... "?

Are you saying mites, foulbrood, and fungal infections do not exist?

Or are you trying to say that microwave transmissions do not effect a bee's ability to navigate?

Among all of the various vectors which of them are you trying to say is a allegation?

How many hives do you have? How are you related to the industry?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You see no proof that CCD exists?

I am a bee keeper.

Every honeybee workshop I have attended for the past five years, has focused [to some extent] on this problem.

Every beekeeper magazine, every USDA sponsored conference, each state beekeeper's association meetings; all of these have articles, speaking topics and discussions on tracking the losses of hives, and the research going on to isolate the causes.

" ... allegations ... "?

Are you saying mites, foulbrood, and fungal infections do not exist?

Or are you trying to say that microwave transmissions do not effect a bee's ability to navigate?

Among all of the various vectors which of them are you trying to say is a allegation?

How many hives do you have? How are you related to the industry?
You have a problem with English?

Let me reiterate:

Quote:
Following this thread I see no accredited concrete proof most of the allegations posted here are anything other than accusations, fear and tree hugger lawsuits that haven't been ruled on yet....
Let me know what is not clear about what I posted.....

Old 06-08-2012, 01:58 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Laboratory feeding studies showed no effects on the weight and survival of honey bees feeding on Cry1Ab-expressing sweet corn pollen for 35 days. In field studies, colonies foraging in sweet corn plots and fed Bt pollen cakes for 28 days showed no adverse effects on bee weight, foraging activity, and colony performance. Brood development was not affected by exposure to Bt pollen but significantly reduced by the positive insecticide control.
Apidologie, Volume 38, Number 4 - SpringerLink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living