Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Lightrail: solar panels, electricity, green energy, wind turbines, global warming, transport system.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
decafdave wrote:
If someone wants to be "unsustainable" and as long as they arent breaking the law, you or the government have no right to interfere. If you have enough money, why can't you choose to be "impractical"? Its a free country right?,....
Then perhaps the government might best serve the citizenry by stepping in and making it illegal to practice "unsustainable" actions. Having enough money is a poor excuse for continuing the practice of impractical unsustainability. In fact, it is probably the driving force, which might soon become apparent as more and more people no longer have enough money to afford unsustainable practices.
Well, that's the debate. Since I lean Libertarian, I'm naturally against extra government legislation-especially legislation meant to shape the country socially. I just don't see the government as having any right to enforce something which isn't even agreed upon by the scientific community. No matter what any of us say it's still debateable whether humans have caused global warming. I'm not trying to start a whole new debate but that is one reason I'm against the government stepping in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
But why should the government wet nurse everyone? If someone wants to be "unsustainable" and as long as they arent breaking the law, you or the government have no right to interfere. If you have enough money, why can't you choose to be "impractical"? Its a free country right?,....

It should be a personal choice to lower emissions, not something to be forced on others like a religious cult on crack.
and you have no right to negatively impact my life because you want to drain OUR resources. If you want to live a impractical life then you should do a few things

1. Do not use ANY resources which the society needs
2. Provide EVERYTHING for yourself so that you do not impact the society at large

Old 04-29-2008, 08:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
very good post. its cuz we are not thinking "we" anymore, the new national consciousness, me 1st ism. in the 20's most major cities had trolley. to go back to that would be a major life and culture change for us all. we would have to go back to "we". our mobile crab shells buy a lot of safety and avoidance. if it were not for them we would have to deal with mean streets. and those on the bottom of the food chain would find us not near so tolerante if we could not avoid and drive around them.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
very good post. its cuz we are not thinking "we" anymore, the new national consciousness, me 1st ism. in the 20's most major cities had trolley. to go back to that would be a major life and culture change for us all. we would have to go back to "we". our mobile crab shells buy a lot of safety and avoidance. if it were not for them we would have to deal with mean streets. and those on the bottom of the food chain would find us not near so tolerante if we could not avoid and drive around them.
you mean people actually sharing train cars, and *gasp* speaking to each other in public? The horror

Old 04-29-2008, 09:38 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
you mean people actually sharing train cars, and *gasp* speaking to each other in public? The horror
but, but, but all people that ride trains/buses/any sort of "public transit" that doesn't go in the air are smelly and poor!!! I don't want to be around that!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:24 AM

Quote:
and you have no right to negatively impact my life because you want to drain OUR resources. If you want to live a impractical life then you should do a few things

1. Do not use ANY resources which the society needs
2. Provide EVERYTHING for yourself so that you do not impact the society at large

Oh please, I use public transportation every single day. But it is very convenient in London, the vast majority of American cities don't have a good enough system to tempt me. No one should be forced to use mass transit if they have the ability to do otherwise. I sure don't want to live in this green-Nazi state you would like.

The thing you don't seem to grasp is that there are individual rights as well as social responsibilty. You need to find that balance. This ramming of guilt down people's throat is a major turn-off and is bad for the green movement as a whole. Some of you seem to think your in some type of cult...

Since its obvious you're a radical with no ability to compromise I dont see the point of continuing this discussion.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Do you even use mass transit? Because you don't exactly strike up conversations with strangers. You must be one of those nutters that bother people on the trains.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
but, but, but all people that ride trains/buses/any sort of "public transit" that doesn't go in the air are smelly and poor!!! I don't want to be around that!!!

Well, perhaps you should stay off the bus then. I don't think anyone has said that on this thread.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
decafdave wrote:
Well, that's the debate. Since I lean Libertarian, I'm naturally against extra government legislation-especially legislation meant to shape the country socially. I just don't see the government as having any right to enforce something which isn't even agreed upon by the scientific community. No matter what any of us say it's still debateable whether humans have caused global warming. I'm not trying to start a whole new debate but that is one reason I'm against the government stepping in.
For the most part, I'm also not a fan of government intervention. However, when a high percentage of the population refuses to be socially responsible, the government has a role to play in moving things forward..

Old 04-30-2008, 07:59 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Then perhaps the government might best serve the citizenry by stepping in and making it illegal to practice "unsustainable" actions.

Excuse me, what country are we speaking of again? (That rumbling sound is the Founding Fathers rolling over in their graves.)

Be careful what you wish for, as it might come back to bite you in the derriere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living