Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Green living: American made clothes, recycle old computers, consumer purchasing, cheap energy, market.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:05 PM
j1n j1n started this thread

1,245 posts, read 4,659,978 times

Advertisements

____-MART. Insert a big "K" or a "W-A-L", whichever you please.
Not to sound ignorant, but what are some of the reasons for staying away from the big "marts" as a way to be greener? I assume that a big reason has to be patronizing local businesses as opposed to big business that long-distance trucks everything in? Any other reasons? And are K-Mart, Target, etc considered as big of offenders as WALMART? Are there any "marts" out there making a concerted effort to do right? Or is that even possible?

Old 04-16-2008, 06:56 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Actually, the new Walmart near me is "green." They carry local produce and the lights in the frozen foood aisles are on sesnsors, so they don't come on unless somebody walks close to them. Also, the store outdid itself with skylights. I was there the other day and the lights in the store were turning off as the clouds outside gave way to the the sun.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:16 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,024,764 times
I like Walmart. they have the best prices anywhere on bleach.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Actually, the new Walmart near me is "green." They carry local produce and the lights in the frozen foood aisles are on sesnsors, so they don't come on unless somebody walks close to them. Also, the store outdid itself with skylights. I was there the other day and the lights in the store were turning off as the clouds outside gave way to the the sun.
Because the building is green does not mean the company is. WalMart has a terrible track record as an employer and in forcing suppliers to go off shore to meet price expectations.

PBS - STORE WARS: Wal-Mart Business Practices

Old 04-16-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Because the building is green does not mean the company is. WalMart has a terrible track record as an employer and in forcing suppliers to go off shore to meet price expectations.

PBS - STORE WARS: Wal-Mart Business Practices
That may be true, but that article is at least 5 years old (the last time Walmart claimed they buy American made whenever possible). They have made some major changes over the last two years. I hate Walmart most of the time too, but cite relevant, recent information next time. Also, we received some nice American made cookware that my fiance's parents gave us for Easter and it is American made and bought at Walmart.

Walmart goes green

Does the store you shop at have similar goals and plans?

ABC News: Wal-Mart Commits to Going Green

Does your store have the same things? I can't think of one chain of stores that does, including the 2 largest natural foods chains in the US, Whole Foods and Earth Fare.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I shop as little as possible and buy used whenever I can. I also avoid Wal-mart like the plague.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
That may be true, but that article is at least 5 years old (the last time Walmart claimed they buy American made whenever possible). They have made some major changes over the last two years. I hate Walmart most of the time too, but cite relevant, recent information next time. Also, we received some nice American made cookware that my fiance's parents gave us for Easter and it is American made and bought at Walmart.

Walmart goes green

Does the store you shop at have similar goals and plans?

ABC News: Wal-Mart Commits to Going Green

Does your store have the same things? I can't think of one chain of stores that does, including the 2 largest natural foods chains in the US, Whole Foods and Earth Fare.
"Greenwashing" in the last year or so does not make up for decades of bad business practices, sorry. Tell me when they start pushing for wages and working condition improvements at the off-shore CMs - and making those changes stick - and then I'll rethink my position.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
"Greenwashing" in the last year or so does not make up for decades of bad business practices, sorry. Tell me when they start pushing for wages and working condition improvements at the off-shore CMs - and making those changes stick - and then I'll rethink my position.
Yet companies you support likely do the same things. I am sure there are places you patronize that pay less than Walmart and you are most likely wearing at least one piece of clothing made in a Honduran or Chinese sweatshop, if not all of your clothing. They are doing more than a lot of other companies are doing, regardless of their motive. Do I care what their motives were for donating 10k to the local volunteer FD when they opened? No, but it is money that will greatly help the community. Greenwashing would be talking and not doing, but they are definitely DOING.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yet companies you support likely do the same things. I am sure there are places you patronize that pay less than Walmart and you are most likely wearing at least one piece of clothing made in a Honduran or Chinese sweatshop, if not all of your clothing.
Not many, because I read labels. Granted, I pay accordingly for my clothing, but I'd rather have fewer sweatshop tshirts that I paid more for than lots of cheap junk.

WalMart led the race to the bottom, and they can lead the race the opposite direction, first.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:09 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
We shop at WalMart and I have no problems with Wal-Mart or their business practices. They are no worse than the average American company, only larger, which places them under much heavier scrutiny and allows any mistakes they make to be headline news while other companies do the same stuff all the time and nobody says anything.

As for offshoring labor, thank Billy Clinton for that. America needs to be more business friendly than we are, and we also should give tax breaks big enough that companies would not have a reason to offshore production.

The "Marts" aren't doing things any different than any other large company all the way down to sporting goods companies having baseballs made in China so they can make an extra dime per ball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living