Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:25 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times

Advertisements

Ok. So this little guy from down the street comes home from school with a cabbage plant that his mother thought I should plant for him lol Hmmm... For the first time in years we don't have a dog so what the heck. Let's plant a garden. Next thing you know we have a small (13x4) raised bed garden filled with soil and such. Quick run to the local hardware store has our basket filled with all sorts of goodies from fingerling carrots to catnip (YES, it's a free for all for the kids lol). Looks like we are going to have some edible flowers and herbs too. Now the garden is too small for the sweet peas and tomatoes! We need an addition already.

So then we move on to a compost pit. Don't ask me how this got started WHEW We (the 2 kids and I) have made a trip to rural Soddy Daisy TN for some VERY fresh cow poop and hauled that good stuff 25 miles home in the back of my teensy SUV. YUM! The children are begging mown grass from the neighbors and bringing it home in 5 gallon buckets and stealing onions from their mothers lol The old hay bale from Halloween got tossed in too.

The weatherman calls for a freeze and our little plantlings are 1-2" high. We can't freeze the little darlings so I cozy them up under some old sheets for a couple of days. On the third day I gathered the sheets in my arms and MAN! Did they smell GOOD!!! Looks like we are going to line dry our clothes now too. lol

So that little cabbage plant has turned our home "green" and we didn't even notice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:06 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
HEHEHE Good Story!! Happy planting!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:05 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
The little cabbage that could !

Love the story...can't wait to hear how the rest of it goes .

Old 04-22-2008, 12:29 PM

Thanks ya'll

I had about 6 children in the back yard "farming" over the weekend. They had no idea how cool an earth worm is nor how much fun digging in the dirt can be. By the end even the girls were searching for worms for the compost bin EEK lol I think they were all proud that they accomplished something even if it was to strip a 6x6 area of the surface grass and weeds. It was a nice feeling.

Now we are onto a sweet pea "tunnel" lol

I'll post some pics soon to show you our novice urban garden and worm factory

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Well good luck with it all! You might check out your library for a copy of "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew, using that method you can fit a lot in just a little space. It's made it possible for me to grow a lot even while renting in cities with a postage stamp sized backyard.

My first garden was when I was quite young still, in one of those little round plastic pools filled with soil (holes punched in bottom for drainage) with just a handful of plants in it (the soil in the backyard was terrible, just rocks and clay, my parents gave up on trying to do anything with it). Zuchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers and beans if I remember right. Kind of overcrowded with a vining tomato plant in the very center unsupported, beans and cucumbers just allowed to grow wherever they wanted to, etc., but we didn't know any better. Now, fast forward 20 years, I'm a self-sufficiency nut, working towards building a "homestead" in Alaska, planning on growing all my own food (I love gardening), etc. Watch out, that cabbage plant might of changed your life for good.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 PM

Riveree the end is the cabbage gets eaten.....:{ BUT the kids learn food does not grow in stores :}

Old 04-23-2008, 02:20 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Thanks ya'll

I had about 6 children in the back yard "farming" over the weekend. They had no idea how cool an earth worm is nor how much fun digging in the dirt can be. By the end even the girls were searching for worms for the compost bin EEK lol I think they were all proud that they accomplished something even if it was to strip a 6x6 area of the surface grass and weeds. It was a nice feeling.

Now we are onto a sweet pea "tunnel" lol

I'll post some pics soon to show you our novice urban garden and worm factory
You are so cool! I mean that. Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Riveree the end is the cabbage gets eaten.....:{ BUT the kids learn food does not grow in stores :}
It can be the beginning of new things. Pull the plant for composting and put something in its place.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Last night I was getting lunch packed for my son and got excited that the celery was just a tad too soft and wilty to eat soooooooooo... OFF to the compost pit LOL

How pathetic ROFL

Old 04-23-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You are so cool! I mean that. Good for you!

It can be the beginning of new things. Pull the plant for composting and put something in its place.
Thank you Maine! This has been such fun and I love to share it with you all.

Speaking of cool and fun things - ya'll go check out Maine Writer's home page! Great stuff!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 AM

I remember watching my neighbor milking his cows.....then we moved into DC where all the kids thought milk came from a paper carton!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living