Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 04:49 AM

893 posts, read 785,159 times

Advertisements

Honestly I try to be a good green person. Three bags and I mean yard waste size bags, of cans, bottles and the likes are sitting in my garage. I swear I wear one earth shoe and one high heel. I can't throw them in the garbage but I can't make myself take them to recycling to get my money back. Does anyone else have that issue? I need to fix it before it takes over a slot in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 06:20 AM

11,379 posts, read 24,383,529 times
I know how you feel. We don't have recycling pickup in my town yet, though it's coming.

I still have a big stack of empty boxes waiting to be broken down and sneaked into some business's box recycling bin. A couple of boxes are overflowing with bottles and cans. Since we don't have many 'can collectors' in my little neighborhood, I can't simply leave them hanging in the lane for a voluntary pickup.

I guess I could drive downtown today and carry the handful of dead batteries I've accumulated to the Earth Day Festival.

It's not easy, is it?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:38 PM

893 posts, read 785,159 times
Well in my state the bottles have the 5 cent deposit except for the water bottles so I have a lot of money sitting there I don't want to give to the recycle truck.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,081,933 times
This is the first time I have been struggling with trash and recycling because in a 50mile radius I might be able to recycle all the bottles, plastic, paper, etc. but not in one place, and not on the same days. I have 5 plastic, totally reusable bags I bought in VT to sort all the stuff; I have two waste containers to sort all the stuff--and a cellar with a corner for boxes....but I don't get to all these locations on the day(s) of recycling each month and often get frustrated. I also burn trash and compost it, but in this area, recycling takes 5th or 6th place, while other places I've lived made it a priority.

We can't even recycle plastics in the same location--one is about 30m from me; the other 25m in the opposite direction.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,397,373 times
I can only offer you something that works for me. Whenever I'm having trouble parting with something, I look at the size of it and I say "this is taking up X square feet of my space" and that helps me decide if it stays or goes.

For something to take up 1 square foot or more of space, I better love it, or it goes. Anything I've ben putting on the back burner to donate, this helps me motivate and get it where it needs to go.

I only have so much square footage and what I love more than anything is open space, so it's something I'm always striving for...less stuff, more room!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 PM

Funny, riveree, each morning when I open my computer a message flashes before me, it says: if you don't use it, lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I can only offer you something that works for me. Whenever I'm having trouble parting with something, I look at the size of it and I say "this is taking up X square feet of my space" and that helps me decide if it stays or goes.

For something to take up 1 square foot or more of space, I better love it, or it goes. Anything I've ben putting on the back burner to donate, this helps me motivate and get it where it needs to go.

I only have so much square footage and what I love more than anything is open space, so it's something I'm always striving for...less stuff, more room!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Because of this thread, I got motivated enough to flatten and carry all of the old boxes to the recycler. There is probably 30 sq. ft. more space in my garage. I'm thinking of having a party out there next weekend.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:00 PM

Make it a month or more and an invitation would get me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Because of this thread, I got motivated enough to flatten and carry all of the old boxes to the recycler. There is probably 30 sq. ft. more space in my garage. I'm thinking of having a party out there next weekend.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Make it a month or more and an invitation would get me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living