Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM

6,624 posts, read 13,497,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
The main advantage with Organic has always been.....pesticide free fruit and produce.
That's incorrect. Organic growers can and do use pesticides. I can't legally say I'm an organic grower because I won't certify. I can say that as a farmer who grows her food naturally, I use organic pesticides (herbicide and insecticide). This year I will use an organic herbicide to control wild mint I've been battling for three or four years. I'll very carefully use spinosad for flea beetles and Colorado potato beetles and possibly other pests.

Spinosad is OMRI approved but it's not benign. It's deadly to honey bees if used incorrectly. I'm sure we all know about the honey bee decline and its importance. There are a couple of organic chemicals I won't use because they are as or more dangerous than synthetics (rotenone is a good example).

I hope that made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living