Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:06 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times

Advertisements

Hi All
We are remodeling our kitchen and I want to get rid of the old side by side energy hog refrigerator that came with the house when we bought it, it's too big for two people and we plan on giving it away, because it still works. This brings me to the question... do any of you have an energy star fridge that they are happy with and that is not awfully noisy? A friend was told that the energy star refrigerators tend to have more problems because in order to save energy they are built more flimsy. I am willing to spend more for a good fridge, so money isn't a prime concern. I want a smaller size model, there are just two of us. I'd appreciate any input, thanks!!!

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:53 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
You can go to Home : ENERGY STAR and do a search for appliances. It shows all the brands and models that are nergy star rated. I had to do this b/c my husband and I are building a house off grid. I am going with mostly gas appliances except for my washer which will be a general electric.

I don't know about the noise issue but they are very high quality items on the list. The top mount refrigerators do rate higher. Good Luck in the search.

Lisa

Old 04-21-2008, 06:53 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Thank you Lisa, I will check that out. Wow, I wish we could build a house off the grid.. maybe one day, best of luck to you!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 AM

23 posts, read 229,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
You can go to Home : ENERGY STAR and do a search for appliances. It shows all the brands and models that are nergy star rated. I had to do this b/c my husband and I are building a house off grid. I am going with mostly gas appliances except for my washer which will be a general electric.

I don't know about the noise issue but they are very high quality items on the list. The top mount refrigerators do rate higher. Good Luck in the search.

Lisa
2 letters LG

Old 07-19-2008, 12:56 AM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
We bought a Frigidaire and right after the warranty was up, 1 year, the thing broke down. Had to replace the main compressor system that regulates everything. Lost over $150.00 worth of food.
Also with the new freon requirements, compressors are only guaranteed for one year instead of the 5 years on the older models.
Our previous refrigerator last us over 15 years, this new one, now in it's 3rd year will probably have to be replaced within the next 2 years.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We bought a Frigidaire and right after the warranty was up, 1 year, the thing broke down. Had to replace the main compressor system that regulates everything. Lost over $150.00 worth of food.
Also with the new freon requirements, compressors are only guaranteed for one year instead of the 5 years on the older models.
Our previous refrigerator last us over 15 years, this new one, now in it's 3rd year will probably have to be replaced within the next 2 years.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, I think most things now are made like junk. Things are just not made to last anymore and I don't care which country it was made in.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, I think most things now are made like junk. Things are just not made to last anymore and I don't care which country it was made in.
You are so right, and several repair facitities I talked to also agree. Everything is made to last no more than 5 years.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
I've had good luck with my Kenmore Elite.

It's 5 years old and only had one problem with the icemaker which was corrected long ago while under warranty.

It had a good energy star rating for the time, I'm not sure what they offer now. It's a solid machine and very quiet.

Old 07-20-2008, 01:09 AM

Our older unit was a Kenmor also. Worked great for 15 years. The new Kenmors as well as the other brands are all built with newer technology and are mandated by the Government to be using the newer hotter running compressors with the newer rated freons. That's why there is only a one year warranty since Jan-1 as all units sold since then must be the newer technology and will have a shorter lifespan.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
We bought a new Kenmore about 6 months ago, and it's a standard top freezer model. Very high marks on Energy Star, works well, and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

It was making a buzzing/rattling sound, but I pulled it from the wall and tightened down some of the bolts securing the coils and it was fine after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living