Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM

10 posts, read 21,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Interesting take on the question .

Of course, the movie Waterworld comes to mind , but have you read anything supporting the idea? I read a bit here and there regarding Peak Oil predictions - and there is some sound reason and some not-so-sound - but I haven't read anything like what you describe above. If there's a term for it, some links or something, I'd love to hear more about it...maybe a new thread?
Yes, I must admit I was thinking about the Waterworld scenario when I came up with that post. Despite its problems as a movie, Waterworld did raise some important issues--vast flooding will produce a collapse of the social order, IMO, and it will lead to everyone literally shifting for themselves. As for houseboat cities and riverboats to get around the newly-risen inland oceans, well, I'd've said that's just common sense, really--if the sea comes to you, go to the sea and take it as your new home; at least until the water stops rising (who knows how long that will take, or how long the high water will remain so). What's the point of trying to live on land, after all, when nobody has any idea where the new coasts are going to be, or when the shoreline is going to remain fixed? Best to float, and wait for Nature to take its course. Time enough, when the sea stands still at last, to build new communities on solid ground in the high country. Stay there a few decades or centuries, and as the seas recede at last, follow them out to the ancient coast. Imagine that, in a thousand years or so--walking among the drying ruins of ancient New York, or surveying the rusting ruins of Golden Gate Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,372,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfingers View Post
Yes, I must admit I was thinking about the Waterworld scenario when I came up with that post. Despite its problems as a movie, Waterworld did raise some important issues--
They should do a remake .

Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
They should do a remake .
No need for a fictional movie this time--they just need to wait a few years and film it in real time as it happens

Old 05-09-2008, 11:06 PM

189 posts, read 343,382 times
Quote:
No need for a fictional movie this time--they just need to wait a few years and film it in real time as it happens
So is the world going to actually turn out like the movie, in literal terms?

Old 05-10-2008, 01:37 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,372,845 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarrington View Post
I'm in coastal Florida....I'll let you know how it goes .

Old 05-11-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll post some information on google groups and give you the address so you can have a look at it. Essentially it's what I expect the world to look like by the beginning of the 23rd century, going on current trends and with what we expect for the the maximum rise in sea level.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,601,159 times
Florida might go under by 2100 if it is only 5-10 inches above sea level. Since it isn't, I wouldn't worry.

To be honest, I think we have a far better chance of an asteroid or comet nailing our planet and causing extinction that for global warming to do anything major. But we can't shove government policies down peoples throats unless we convince them we are all going to die if we don't listen to them.

World temps will not be a problem in my lifetime, only the lies and hysteria surrounding it will become a problem.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow I'll post some information on google groups and give you the address so you can have a look at it. Essentially it's what I expect the world to look like by the beginning of the 23rd century, going on current trends and with what we expect for the the maximum rise in sea level.
OK, here's the site; Go to googlegroups and look up 'waterworld'; Waterworld23rdCentury@googlegroups.com is the postal address.

Last edited by fishfingers; 05-12-2008 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-16-2008, 12:01 PM

189 posts, read 343,382 times
This is likely a bit off-topic, but do you think San Francisco will become swamped by sea level rise?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:20 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,198,489 times
Quote:
This is likely a bit off-topic, but do you think San Francisco will become swamped by sea level rise?
That's something I wonder about as well. A lot of larger cities are coastal cities, not all of them are landlocked like Dallas, Austin, and Atlanta. According to city-data, San Francisco has an elevation of 63 feet above sea level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living