U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM

524 posts, read 2,402,284 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of switching to all things organic. I bought a stick of Organic deodorant called JASON and I don't think it works at all. What brand do yall get the best performance out of?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM

16,935 posts, read 22,198,202 times
Baking soda sticks work.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:18 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,970,805 times
Crystal deodorants work really well. I couldn't find a link for American retailers but I am sure if you find a green store they will stock it.

Link below just for info :

Find Environmentally Friendly Deodorants at NaturalCollection.com

I did buy one from a normal drugstore in the US last year and it worked very well indeed. There are many different brands and I am sure some work better than others.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 AM

9,840 posts, read 20,083,646 times
I've been seeing those deodorant crystals for years at health food stores. (remember health food stores?) I was under the impression that they were made up of the same or a similar aluminum-based substance that commercial deodorant is made of.

But since body odor is caused by bacteria, I once did an experiment with dabbing my armpits with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol. Seemed to work for the first part of the day... If that's not organic enough, buy some high-quality hooch and try that.

A light dusting of cornstarch based powder will also help with perspiration.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:03 AM

6,985 posts, read 15,452,455 times
try toms of maine or flour (yeah the stuff you cook with)

Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,159,446 times
When I'm just hanging around the house, I use "Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal", in the roll-on. The ingredients listed on the label are: Purified water, Natural Mineral Salts (Potassium Alum), Xanthan Gum, Phytosphingosine, Chamomile Extract (Anthemis Nobilis Flower). On the front label, it claims to contain "no harmful aluminiums", so I presume that the mineral salts (potassium alum), is not the same thing, 'though I haven't actually looked that up. I don't use it when I'm going to be going out anywhere, particularly during the summer, because as a deodorant-only, it doesn't last long enough. If I'm running to town, or wherever, I use a regular anti-perspirant/deodorant. I do like the smell of the "Naturally Fresh"; it's very light.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:07 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,970,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Crystal deodorants work really well. I couldn't find a link for American retailers but I am sure if you find a green store they will stock it.

Link below just for info :

Find Environmentally Friendly Deodorants at NaturalCollection.com

I did buy one from a normal drugstore in the US last year and it worked very well indeed. There are many different brands and I am sure some work better than others.

As far as I know all crystal deodorants are completely natural and only contain potassium alum which is completely safe as it is nothing like aluminium metal. This is why they are usually sold in health stores and by Greenpeace too.

Link below explains the difference.

Natural deodorant stone UK, Deodorant crystal UK -- Detox Your World Natural deodorant stone

Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM

41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
Alum is Aluminum Potassium Sulfate and is a mild astringent and anti bacterial agent. Please don’t waste drinkable booze on your armpits. Just use cheap vodka. mixed with some baking soda and alum.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:41 PM

698 posts, read 2,459,504 times
I vote for cornstarch. I like Clabber Girl but all work the same. On very hot days you may have to reapply 2-3 times so it's not practical for people on the go a lot. I'm home with the little ones, so can do that.
I have a very good friend who developed ovarian cancer and believes it could have been triggered by talcum powder (on her thighs/legs, not armpits) and she told me about the wonders of cornstarch.
I keep it in a small tupperware with lid and apply it with a sponge cosmetic wedge. I've tried many of the above-mentioned items with only poor results.
My concern as a woman was and still is the risk of breast cancer using ordinary deodorants/antiperspirants even though that idea has been discounted. The problem comes when you realize how many formerly debunked rumours turn out to have validity, i.e. one medical study contradicting another.
So better safe than sorry.
Stay dry this summer with something benign!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:45 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,935,856 times
Try rubbing chicken feathers under your armpits. They work great to absorb fowl odors....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or