Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2020, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,480 times

Advertisements

So here's the story, I have land that my family owns and I want to put an off grid cabin on it. We live in the upstate fingerlakes region. Can we even LEGALLY do this? Do we have to build by the code and all that? I understand that if it is under 120 sq ft. then I do not need a permit. However I do not feel like living in a shed. Id like to build a 20x20 home. Going to be utilizing a composting toilet that meets the requirements. Also there is a creek that we dammed up with a pond that we can use for water. We will use water in the jugs for drinking water. PLEASE please let me know what I need to do and thank you in advance!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 11:48 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
A good place to start is here:

https://www.dos.ny.gov/DCEA/reg_off_cty.html

From my understanding of building codes, is the more rural the build area the less restrictive it is.
But it may be different there.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Did you get all the required inspections and permits that you'd need to dam the creek? If you didn't you should check into the legalities of that and find out where you stand. You can get into a LOT more trouble and heavier fines for damming a creek illegally without permits than you will for building an off grid cabin that isn't up to code.

Old 10-16-2020, 06:10 AM

7,238 posts, read 5,114,062 times
This thread may get a wider response if posted on the Self-Sufficiency forum of CD.

In so far as building details go, start with the county building & zoning office. Small counties are usually pretty co-operative and friendly to deal with....Your "blue print" may need be nothing more elaborate than a simple hand drawn floor plan. (It's like praying-- The major saints like St Joseph or St Anthony are swamped with requests, but the little known ones like St Lydwina appreciate the business.)

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't require a well as a water source-- Using surface waters is a pretty risky undertaking health-wise, not to mention a real PITA that will get old fast. ...It may be grand adventure and fun on a pleasant spring morning, but will get old real fast when it's 20 below and you're trudging thru 3 ft of snow.

Are you planning on living there, or just use it occasionally? ...If only on occasion, you may be able to stay under the radar and just claim it's a storage shed or work shop if questioned....Rural areas are usually pretty lenient when it comes to non-residential structures. I got the ok to put up a 1000 sf barn by nothing more than a phone call to the local building inspector-- "OK. I'll make a note of it."

If you're going to live there, and you have a hill side to utilize, consider building an earth-berm house-- highly energy efficient....and you may do better collecting rain water from the roof than using chemical run-off & bacteria laden stream water. ..Also consider a sand-point drilled shallow well.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 10-16-2020 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 5,868 times
You can ask local inspectors, about your city codes to prevent violation

Old 11-22-2020, 01:35 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Damming a waterway may be subject to federal oversight. You should also check the NYS watershed regulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living